U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 11:40 PM

992 posts, read 500,915 times

Advertisements

Though I'm a man who generally doesn't want to interfere with other people's lifestyle choices, I find people wearing athletic clothing for non-athletic purposes utterly bizarre, slobbish, inappropriate, and disrespectful. Except when I am exercising, the absolute most casual thing I will wear is a pair of jeans and a nice shirt.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:32 AM

8,861 posts, read 4,829,530 times
I was like that in the mid 90s. Wore bike shorts, wind shorts, warm ups everywhere. It was something of the style, at least a few years before. It was comfortable as I was just starting the night shift and getting use to my "vampirelle" world (work, school, crash, rinse & repeat). Mostly, though, I was only a few years out of the service and was "rebelling" against those requirements to be in uniform when others could be in warm ups.

My most extreme was during the winter when I was biking to work where my outfit was undies, tee, bike shorts, hot pink running tights, wind shorts, socks, black leg warmers, Nikes, lavender hoodie, white mittens, helmet, and safety vest. One would certainly not lose sight of me in traffic.

Some friends eventually cornered me during a summer and asked me didn't I have any jeans and soon after that, I converted over.

Things vary over the years but.......I still have and wear my leg warmers, from time to time.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:34 AM

3,229 posts, read 1,187,974 times
Leg warmers? Lol. You go girl.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:59 AM

984 posts, read 397,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
So you never laugh to yourself or think somebody looks bad in a trashy outfit, or point out some awful look to your S/O? Come on, Saint Sunday!
Tbh, probably in the distant past in my younger more immature days, but anymore I just don't have the will or the mental energy for this kind of pettiness. I'm just happy to make it out of the store with everything I intended to buy and that it rang up at the right price. I will occasionally compliment someone if they have a really cute purse, shoes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Things vary over the years but.......I still have and wear my leg warmers, from time to time.
Oh legwarmers... I miss those.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:10 AM

8,861 posts, read 4,829,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Leg warmers? Lol. You go girl.
As things go, I still have lots of them, buy them every so often. Some of my girl friends do as well, but I don't know if they wear them outside the carnival atmosphere. One probably does because the carnival is never out of her.

About the time that they went out of their fashion style, the word was ....."Leg warmers are out!.....unless you are dancer."

Well, guess what............I'm a dancer.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:35 AM

9,109 posts, read 3,927,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Though I'm a man who generally doesn't want to interfere with other people's lifestyle choices, I find people wearing athletic clothing for non-athletic purposes utterly bizarre, slobbish, inappropriate, and disrespectful. Except when I am exercising, the absolute most casual thing I will wear is a pair of jeans and a nice shirt.

How do you exercise in jeans? I'm assuming not in a gym as they don't allow clients to wear jeans to work out. Unless your exercise is bowling?

Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Yeah, in my college dorms in the late 90s, it really wasn't possible to enter women's residence halls/floors without the telltale constant swish-swish sound of girls walking around in nylon warmup pants at all times. Fitness-wear as comfort-wear isn't a new phenomenon.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 AM

4,859 posts, read 3,715,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Disrespectful to WHOM?

I wore yoga pants yesterday with a tshirt that covered my butt. While wearing them, I went on a 5 mile walk. I went shopping. I cleaned my house. I went on another 5 mile walk.

Today, I am wearing another pair with another tshirt that covers my butt. I've gone on a walk. I'm planning on going grocery shopping later while wearing them. Probably going on a second walk.

Just whom am I disrespecting by wearing these pants?

Old 04-05-2017, 10:19 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Yeah, I don't get the "disrespect" angle.

I get the, "This attire is less formal than I prefer" stance, but not the "It's so disrespectful" stance. Assuming the attire doesn't have obscenities emblazoned on it, or something.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:38 PM

3,205 posts, read 1,486,941 times
I see a lot of employees wearing spandex leggings at work. If they were all slim and trim they might get away with it. But most are not.

I wear spandex knee length pants when I go for my hour walk.

No other time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty