U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2017, 01:20 AM

130 posts, read 43,105 times

Advertisements

Men used to wear a suit, tie, & hat when they walked outside. Strange how clothing norms change.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:41 AM

26,879 posts, read 28,182,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Looks like this is a fashion trend that is here to stay. I've been paying more attention to this since this thread, and from what I see, its like MORE than 90% of the women I see on campus at UCLA are wearing leggings. While just putzing around the local areas like the mall, starbucks, market, etc. (Encino, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Westwood, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Venice) the percentage is almost just as high. Probably higher on weekends.

I doubt that so many women in other areas like Cincinnati, Atlanta or Little Rock lead as active lifestyles so you'll probably see very few leggings worn in those areas.
You are stereotyping. Leggings are popular everywhere these days. Though outside of affluent neighborhoods fewer will be Lululemon. It probably isn't 90% during the summer inna himid city as they would be way too hot. But they are a staple otherwise across the country.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:21 AM

8,899 posts, read 4,840,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james159 View Post
Men used to wear a suit, tie, & hat when they walked outside. Strange how clothing norms change.
Sometimes, it is because of technology. I am told the reason why hats went out of style is because of central heating/cooling.

Then there is the other angle of it in getting men to take off their ball caps that they seem to wear everywhere.

On the other side, I wear a bush hat everywhere I go, either on my head or down my back with its stampede strings. The latter got to the point where Mom once said, "Take off your hat and stay a while.".

Old 04-09-2017, 06:45 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,101,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Sometimes, it is because of technology. I am told the reason why hats went out of style is because of central heating/cooling.

Then there is the other angle of it in getting men to take off their ball caps that they seem to wear everywhere.

On the other side, I wear a bush hat everywhere I go, either on my head or down my back with its stampede strings. The latter got to the point where Mom once said, "Take off your hat and stay a while.".
I heard a theory that it was because the generation returning from WWII service without a Sergeant telling them they must wear a hat or face punishment started going hat less as an act of restored freedom. And as they aged into the 1950s and 60s hat wearing as standard started disappearing. Then in the 70s with team caps began a general comeback with sports and other casual attire being the new standard everyday dress

Old 04-09-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
...... Then in the 70s with team caps began a general comeback with sports and other casual attire being the new standard everyday dress
Well, that........and balding men.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:12 AM

21,475 posts, read 22,735,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That doesn't seem to make much sense since it was the norm to always take a hat off indoors--HVAC wouldn't make a difference.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That doesn't seem to make much sense since it was the norm to always take a hat off indoors--HVAC wouldn't make a difference.
Difficult to say.

Consider this painting
https://people.southwestern.edu/~bed...gan/folies.jpg

Perhaps I have my centuries wrong where it was the introduction of heating inside of buildings that changed the hat wearing habits of men.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:27 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
People who are critical and disparaging of others wearing formfitting clothing due to their size and shape are likely to be critical and disparaging of others' size no matter what attire is worn.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:31 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,853,683 times
I didn't read the rest of this, but I wear workout gear most days because I work out most days. Often more than once a day, so chances are whenever you see me I either just worked out or will be working out soon.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:01 AM

987 posts, read 398,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
People who are critical and disparaging of others wearing formfitting clothing due to their size and shape are likely to be critical and disparaging of others' size no matter what attire is worn.
Can't rep you, but I totally agree with this. Some people just need another group of people to bash to make themselves feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty