U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 08:43 AM

944 posts, read 770,537 times

Advertisements

I wear it mostly to the gym. I tried wearing sweats once to the gym, and it was way too hot. I wear it because it's comfortable, functional, and yes, my butt looks good in it. It makes me feel and look better when I wear them, so I get a better workout.

Outside of the gym, I'll sometimes wear them, but usually wear a long top to cover my butt. It's not because I don't like the way my butt looks, but I just don't want the attention. I think yoga pants or anything tight tends to draw attention to someone even if they don't have the body. I have more yoga pants than jeans, so it's easier to just put a pair of them on.

This trend is nothing shocking as I see yoga pants everywhere and on females from all different ages and sizes.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,118,356 times
I only wear it to workout.

A lot of women, young and older, wear it as their outfit for the day. Full hair and makeup with it usually tells me they aren't going to workout. I guess the "Cover your butt rule" doesn't apply anymore, either. I see younger girls pairing leggings with crop tops.

Nothing looks worse than seeing an overweight woman with lumps, bumps, rolls whatever in a pair of sheer leggings. Yes I'm judging, every does.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:26 AM

309 posts, read 408,228 times
Wearing tights/shapewear as pants (please, no euphemism of such costumes as "yoga pants") is a form of "painted on" nudeness.

Acknowlege that, and the effect on the level of beauty the wearers wish to achieve in certain environments, then it's all good.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:34 AM

2,813 posts, read 1,399,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Looks like this is a fashion trend that is here to stay. I've been paying more attention to this since this thread, and from what I see, its like MORE than 90% of the women I see on campus at UCLA are wearing leggings. While just putzing around the local areas like the mall, starbucks, market, etc. (Encino, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Westwood, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Venice) the percentage is almost just as high. Probably higher on weekends.

I doubt that so many women in other areas like Cincinnati, Atlanta or Little Rock lead as active lifestyles so you'll probably see very few leggings worn in those areas.
You would be incorrect.

Leggings, yoga pants, and "active wear" are all incredibly common here in my part of Atlanta. Sometimes it's "workout" clothes (easier to play with your kids than jeans, trousers, or a skirt) sometimes it's leggings and long sweater or tunic with boots or ballet flats (comfortable and cute with a necklace or scarf for running errands, meeting up with friends, or going out to eat, etc)

Not in response to your post, Kings Gambit, but to the thread as a whole:
I don't see how these outfits are offensive to anyone

Old 04-10-2017, 10:36 AM

3,975 posts, read 1,943,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
Wearing tights/shapewear as pants (please, no euphemism of such costumes as "yoga pants") is a form of "painted on" nudeness.

Acknowlege that, and the effect on the level of beauty the wearers wish to achieve in certain environments, then it's all good.
+1; its similar to wearing a 2-piece spaghetti strap bikini in the subway. if the wearer is comfortable its all good. I just find it confusing that some women are confused why men like it so much ?

Old 04-10-2017, 10:39 AM

2,813 posts, read 1,399,508 times
Quote:

I'm not sure you know what "yoga pants" are if you think they're the same thing as "tights" or "shapewear"...

Last edited by AfternoonCoffee; 04-10-2017 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-10-2017, 12:11 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post

Nothing looks worse than seeing an overweight woman with lumps, bumps, rolls whatever in a pair of sheer leggings. Yes I'm judging, every does.
Eh. Overweight women get this hurled at them no matter what they wear. Fact is, the general opinion is that nobody should have to have their vision sullied by the highly offensive, polluting sight of an overweight woman, whether she's wearing fitted attire or sporting a muumuu.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:13 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
Quote:

I'm not sure you're aware that yoga pants and tights are two separate things, or that shapewear is a third separate thing.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:58 PM

260 posts, read 116,727 times
I started getting into the habit of wearing yoga pants everyday. It wasn't planned or anything but it was easy, comfy and cheap. I didnt have to worry about buying clothes really. Anyway one day I did finally wear some regular clothes and my daughters a neighbor and even the grocery store clerks were like you look so nice today. It was just a simple pair of jeans and a nice blousy top with some jewlery. Thats when I realized who slobby I looked every day. lol

Old 04-10-2017, 01:00 PM

260 posts, read 116,727 times
I want to add that people are wondering why a lot of clothing stores are going out of business. My 2 cents is that people now days really do not dress up. We live in active wear. Even work attire is much more casual than it used to be. I am not sure if this is a trend or just the way we are evolving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty