U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 12:59 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've never seen one single person wearing tights in public as pants. Loads wearing leggings, but not tights. Not even once. Not even in ballet.
I have actually. A few times. One person tried to pawn off a men's shirt as a dress. It was shorter than a swim coverup. It was a bit short but not horribly ridiculous like the second one. I also saw a woman wearing control top pantyhose with a tucked in grubby t-shirt. That wasn't even pretending to be an outfit.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:00 AM

1,700 posts, read 791,143 times
Quote:
I've never seen one single person wearing tights in public as pants. Loads wearing leggings, but not tights. Not even once. Not even in ballet.
i have seen it many times over the years. i'm not saying i see it every day or weekly or monthly. but definitely i have seen it many times.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:11 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,396,901 times
Quote:
Me neither, TabulaRasa.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:49 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,113,536 times
As I parked at Trader Joe's today I noticed a woman walk in with spandex sport-type pants on. It made me think of this thread, so I decided to sit in my car for a while and do some research. This is the type of pants they were all wearing - some were capri-length, and some to the ankle, in various colors, mostly black though.

I observed approximately 50% (maybe even a bit more) of females wearing spandex exercise pants. They ranged in age from about 12yo up to 60yo. About 1/3 had rear completely covered, 1/3 had partial cover, and 1/3 had a shirt or jacket that stopped at hip bone area. About 1/4 of those in spandex pants were overweight.

I also noticed a number of women wearing tight skinny jeans. These pants were as tight as spandex, and the only difference is that they are made of a cotton blend and have pockets on the back.

I knew the look was popular where I live, but I was genuinely surprised to see that it was easily half of the women who were wearing these.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:58 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
Quote:
Neither have I. Nor do I see loads of overweight people in spandex. I think this entire thread is blown way out of proportion. They are the exception not the rule.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:49 PM

11,425 posts, read 19,433,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
Wearing tights/shapewear as pants (please, no euphemism of such costumes as "yoga pants") is a form of "painted on" nudeness.

Acknowlege that, and the effect on the level of beauty the wearers wish to achieve in certain environments, then it's all good.
I may be wrong, but yoga pants aren't really form fitted, are they? They look like flares to me, that skim the body the way jeans fit. Leggings are form fitted.

And frankly I haven't seen a pair of jeans that don't have spandex in years....I think they still make all cotton jeans but ....eww...not comfortable. I need clothing that moves with me. That's why I like my sportknits from Land End....

Old 04-14-2017, 11:18 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I may be wrong, but yoga pants aren't really form fitted, are they? They look like flares to me, that skim the body the way jeans fit. Leggings are form fitted.

And frankly I haven't seen a pair of jeans that don't have spandex in years....I think they still make all cotton jeans but ....eww...not comfortable. I need clothing that moves with me. That's why I like my sportknits from Land End....
I think that most people on this thread consider leggings to be "yoga pants," based on posts.

I'm with you, though. To me (having taken yoga on and off since about 2005 or so), yoga pants are knit pants that fit fairly snugly and flare to perhaps a boot cut proportion by the ankle. I've seen many people wear leggings to do yoga, and initially when I first did yoga, wide-legged gaucho style soft knit pants were pretty common. But "yoga pants" to me are akin to this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=yoga...-Mk1xJFvLgcyM:

Old 04-15-2017, 07:28 AM

1,945 posts, read 2,114,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Neither have I. Nor do I see loads of overweight people in spandex. I think this entire thread is blown way out of proportion. They are the exception not the rule.

You should sit with me while I pick my daughter up from school. I can easily disprove your claim. There is one particular, cute woman that has a totally matched workout outfit including a visor for every day of the week.

If you are going to wear leggings, spandex, workout clothes etc. you need to make sure it isn't sheer. I am guilty of wearing a pair that was totally see through and didn't realize it right away. When I buy spandex you should see the positions I get into in the dressing room just to be sure you can't see through the pants. You all aren't aware of Lulemon's issues?

Old 04-15-2017, 07:38 AM

8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Quote:
Tunic length is typically longer than just butt-covering. Generally, anywhere from midthigh to knee, depending on one's height and/or torso length, is a tunic. Any longer than that is a caftan.............
Got a lot of caftans but that's because as a dancer, we usually wear them over out costumes when we are not performing. One of those events of wearing this or that (robes) outside the house.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:04 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
You should sit with me while I pick my daughter up from school. I can easily disprove your claim. There is one particular, cute woman that has a totally matched workout outfit including a visor for every day of the week.

If you are going to wear leggings, spandex, workout clothes etc. you need to make sure it isn't sheer. I am guilty of wearing a pair that was totally see through and didn't realize it right away. When I buy spandex you should see the positions I get into in the dressing room just to be sure you can't see through the pants. You all aren't aware of Lulemon's issues?
A "cute" woman wearing a coordinated workout outfit every day isn't an overweight person wearing leggings or someone wearing tights as pants. I didn't mean wearing workout gear is uncommon, I meant that wearing it in an unattractive manner and wearing see-through tights as pants are uncommon. Both are uncommon where I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty