U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:19 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,399,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post

Do you think the office is making an exception for her because she is overweight, and a female?
People seem to have less consideration for correcting clothing choices on thin co-workers: "hey no jeans with a hole in the knee" or "your skirts too short", or if it were a man, someone would probably physically turn him around and out the door, no one wants to work next to the guy with the shiny package all day.
Semi-tangent, but somewhat related to the point this brings up, which is that differences in physique can affect whether or not people are approached over dress code violations...

I had a former workplace where there was a manager who (until he was curbed by upper management) policed the amount of cleavage being visible among female employees.. At one point, a larger, prob size 22 or so, much bustier woman was told she needed to change, while wearing an identical shirt on the same day as a very slim, fairly flat chested colleague. She asked, "Is [coworker's] shirt also in violation? He said, "No, but yours is."

Old 05-02-2017, 01:38 PM

6,102 posts, read 2,308,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Semi-tangent, but somewhat related to the point this brings up, which is that differences in physique can affect whether or not people are approached over dress code violations...

I had a former workplace where there was a manager who (until he was curbed by upper management) policed the amount of cleavage being visible among female employees.. At one point, a larger, prob size 22 or so, much bustier woman was told she needed to change, while wearing an identical shirt on the same day as a very slim, fairly flat chested colleague. She asked, "Is [coworker's] shirt also in violation? He said, "No, but yours is."
That implies unfairness, and yet you used the word cleavage, were they both violating his 'cleavage policy'?

I have someone in a position above me who calls me into her office for private discussions. She has waaaaay too much cleavage showing for me to be comfortable. I don't say anything, but its much more difficult to concentrate on her face, than if there was no cleavage. I'm not attracted to women, it's just uncomfortable for me, because I'm more modest in dressing than she. I think it's a great distraction to the male employees.

To get back on topic: The 2 I'm referring to are in their early 20's. Maybe this is all just a millennial thing, and I've had to follow rules for so long that it impedes my acceptance?

Old 05-02-2017, 02:00 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,399,524 times
There was no cleavage policy. Which was the whole point. By taking it upon himself to police others' attire by body type, he was opening the company up to harassment complaints, and was told as much, eventually, when the issue was pressed.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:05 PM

4,616 posts, read 6,124,493 times
From butt cracks to boob cracks.... this is one of my favorite threads on CD.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:09 PM

6,102 posts, read 2,308,346 times
Quote:
There was no cleavage policy. Which was the whole point. By taking it upon himself to police others' attire by body type, he was opening the company up to harassment complaints, and was told as much, eventually, when the issue was pressed.
I get it Attitude and rules are often influenced by body type.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:29 PM

3,680 posts, read 1,202,642 times
Quote:

HAH... that reminds me of when I used to work as a bank teller. When you were new you got a 6-month evaluation, and then a one year eval. At my first eval I was told that my pants were a little too tight (they were the pants with the flared bottoms that were popular at the time - this was early 2001). I was carrying a little too much weight at that time. I went out shopping and found some looser items to wear to work (hey... I didn't have a whole lot of money to spend on clothes - fresh out of school and I was paying on my first car and starting to pay back my loans). I took up contra dancing that May and dropped some weight because I was dancing almost every single weekend throughout the spring and summer. By the time my one year eval came up I was back wearing the same clothes I had been criticized for before, yet I was rated as having "improved my appearance re: following the dress code."

Old 05-02-2017, 02:36 PM

10,396 posts, read 8,354,967 times
This is where the hijab becomes a necessity. Maybe they knew something all along.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:58 PM

4,616 posts, read 6,124,493 times
Men you do not have to feel left out.... you too can enjoy the extreme comfort of spandex leggings ...lots of choices out there.

Men's Tights and Leggings by Nike

Old 05-02-2017, 08:41 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,400,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
At least the other shoppers have their butt cracks covered.
Again, I've literally never seen the butt crack of someone wearing athletic leggings. Never. Seen plenty of butt cracks peeking out of jeans worn by men and women of all shapes and sizes. But never athletic leggings.

Where the heck do you live and shop that this is a real problem??

Old 05-03-2017, 06:53 AM

5,671 posts, read 6,466,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Again, I've literally never seen the butt crack of someone wearing athletic leggings. Never. Seen plenty of butt cracks peeking out of jeans worn by men and women of all shapes and sizes. But never athletic leggings.

Where the heck do you live and shop that this is a real problem??
OK, I'm not talking about actual SKIN showing here. I'm saying that the material is so skin tight that every outline and crevice shows under the tight fabric. Saw a young woman going into a restaurant yesterday wearing such tight yoga pants that her skinny butt was outlined with the fabric so that absolutely nothing was left to the imagination.

It seems like some of you are being deliberately obtuse.

I get it that many of you want to wear whatever you desire out in public. It's your right to look however you want. Just be aware that not everyone thinks you look appropriate or even decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty