Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 11:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I don't see a lot of maine women wearing spandex,,,,that would create a lot of torque..

but ...on behalf of the male gender id like to say a big thank you to the lady's that wear these sheer body hugging clothes...I think they are leggings...

Pssst...know what makes leggings formfitting?

(wait for it...)

...Spandex.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:25 PM

992 posts, read 875,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Should I also curtsy to each of my fellow shoppers at the grocery store? Just checking to see what else you think women should be doing to show respect for those around us.
No, but I think all men and women should dress nicely in public when not exercising.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:44 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
No, but I think all men and women should dress nicely in public when not exercising.
"It's a girl, my lord, in a flatbed Ford, slowing down to take a look at me!".

What kind of clothes should one wear when they expect to do things that they are going to get dirty, when getting dirty may be life day to day?

I mean, I'm not going to wrangle the garbage can, to take it from the house to the road, in a skirt and stockings. I think it's a wise notion that my style of foot wear always has me in boots, for concerns about snakes, whenever I am outside the house. I often work in an office building so I never wear nylon or polyester for fire protection but cotton, wool, leather, and the like.

Etc, etc, etc.......................

It's the modern world; being expected to dress nicely in public should not be the primary concern.

Oh, and by the way? If I do wear a skirt in general public, it is always with a cheerleader panty or bike shorts or something in case I need to ditch the skirt and run.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:04 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
I'm from Denver, and ladies here wear active gear/spandex as their everyday wardrobe. I took a weekend trip to Crested Butte Colorado, walking through the town I literally was the only woman wearing jeans. I've traveled to a few places in the Midwest recently and did not see the trend in wardrobe there. In fact, I had a layover in the Nashville airport, saw a women in active gear and took a guess that she would be on my flight back to Denver...sure enough, I was right.
Is this a fashion trend seen in other cities?
Looks like this is a fashion trend that is here to stay. I've been paying more attention to this since this thread, and from what I see, its like MORE than 90% of the women I see on campus at UCLA are wearing leggings. While just putzing around the local areas like the mall, starbucks, market, etc. (Encino, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Westwood, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Venice) the percentage is almost just as high. Probably higher on weekends.

I doubt that so many women in other areas like Cincinnati, Atlanta or Little Rock lead as active lifestyles so you'll probably see very few leggings worn in those areas.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:49 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
To me it says that the wearer is not important enough to look nice, and that everyone else in the public sphere is not important enough to respect by being presentable.
Well, sorry I never consulted YOU before I get dressed to go in public. /sarcasm.

There is ONE PERSON whose opinion matters on how I dress when I go out in public, and that person is me. So...yeah...there it is. Let's see...today's plan....I got up and went for a walk (wearing my yoga pants). I'm meeting a friend for lunch in an hour (wearing regular pants). Then I plan to come back home, change back in to my yoga pants and do some yard work. That means I'll probably have to run to the store for some mulch...I most definitely do NOT plan to change yet again just to grab however much mulch I'll need, so yes, that'll be me in the yoga pants loading mulch into my vehicle.

Quote:
"nicely" .... I say "practically". I am a very practical person. And I like comfort. So I dress for comfort AND practicality. Which means lots of yoga pants right now...soon to be shorts. Maybe even yoga shorts!

Old 04-08-2017, 12:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
I think wearing clean, unstained clothing in good repair is about the highest standard one can reasonably expect. Contemporary society is no longer "business casual attire required." Some bemoan that, but I don't find it a big deal.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Well, sorry I never consulted YOU before I get dressed to go in public. /sarcasm.

There is ONE PERSON whose opinion matters on how I dress when I go out in public, and that person is me. So...yeah...there it is. Let's see...today's plan....I got up and went for a walk (wearing my yoga pants). I'm meeting a friend for lunch in an hour (wearing regular pants). Then I plan to come back home, change back in to my yoga pants and do some yard work. That means I'll probably have to run to the store for some mulch...I most definitely do NOT plan to change yet again just to grab however much mulch I'll need, so yes, that'll be me in the yoga pants loading mulch into my vehicle.

"nicely" .... I say "practically". I am a very practical person. And I like comfort. So I dress for comfort AND practicality. Which means lots of yoga pants right now...soon to be shorts. Maybe even yoga shorts!
Exactly!

When my day consists of laundry, dishes, misc. cleaning, chasing kids, and a trip to the grocery store, I'm going to dress for comfort first. I'm certainly not going to change my clothes for the benefit of a stranger at the store.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:38 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
I thought of this thread while I was waiting in line at my local Starbucks. Someone in front of me was wearing spandex and an active top as she ordered a Macchiato. I went shopping in various stores and saw a mix of styles apart from spandex.

I tend to think another reason people may wear spandex is because it's an easy fit. Seeing items on the rack that aren't your size or don't flatter your figure can be somewhat deflating, whether or not one cares to admit such. Spandex and an oversized shirt/tunic is a simple fix.

And before anyone defends themselves again, or gets on my case note that I'm not interested in what you decide to wear to the store or wherever. I'm posting this on behalf of the OP's question on if I see this in my area. I think only paid attention more due to this thread.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:57 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
I went hiking today with my SO. On the way home he wanted to stop by the gtocery store. Should I have demanded that we drive the 15 minutes home first so I can change? Or do you just expect women to always carry a change of clothes at all times? Or maybe I should have just stayed in the car so I didn't offend anyone with my yoga pants....

Old 04-09-2017, 01:18 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
I think the people who are OMG SO OFFENDED by "big" girls in yoga pants/leggings are either going off of "worst case scenario" pictures online (and don't get out much to see how women REALLY wear these things, both big and small) OR are just offended by big girls in general. In the latter case, it wouldn't matter if she was wearing yoga pants, leggings, jeans, jogging pants, a burlap sack...it'd be, "Ewwww, gross!"

Which is incredibly immature, among other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty