U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 08:11 PM

24 posts, read 8,605 times

Advertisements

I wear pins but I attach them to hats (I wear different styles a lot), scarves or coats/blazers. Sometimes I'll even dangle them from a chain and wear around my neck.

If you don't wear them, sell them on CL or Ebay. Might as well make some cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 PM

19,428 posts, read 9,742,596 times
I wear them all the time, but not on clothing. I wear them on necklaces, in my hair on barrettes headbands or hair ties, or pinned on belts.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:10 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
I wear them when I wear a wrap or drapey scarf, as a fastener.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:17 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
NK, if I were you, I'd hang onto the better ones, the sterling and 24k gold ones. Your girls may want them someday when you're gone.
Or you could sell them to precious metal dealers. Some antique or 2nd-hand fine jewelry stores function as precious metal buyers, as well, so if they say your items aren't saleable "as is", they'll still give you decent money for them, for the value of the metal.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:25 PM

1,842 posts, read 966,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I love my pins and brooches! I occasionally see other women wearing them too. Many of mine have come from estate sales, antique/junk stores and flea markets, some from ebay.
Some people make a living from reselling items on ebay so maybe you could locate someone in your area to do that for you? Perhaps a consignment shop?
Every blazer I have has a pin on the lapel. I see many women wearing pins and brooches.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:28 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Are you sure they're 24k gold? That's pure gold, very soft. Some cultures like to have portable wealth so they buy 24k jewelry but normally pieces in this country are 14k or 18k (or 9k).

The pieces with marks will sell for more, so get out the magnifying glass.

I sell a lot of new pins/brooches, so there's still demand for them.
Oopsie- typo- 14 k and some 18k from Europe

Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,289,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Well...that was interesting. On ebay people are selling big tangles of costume jewelry by the lb. They don't even bother to separate the stuff. Must be garage sale buyers. Some people have stuff listed as low as $1. The listing fee is more than that. At least my husband is a good photographer and would do a much better job than most of what I saw on there.
OP Ebay gives you 50 "free" listing a month- (you do pay final value fees if the item sells ) so it wouldn't hurt to try a "buy it now". I would start it as an auction first- just to see if there is any interest-it may go higher than you think. If it doesn't sell the first time around- then put it on for 30 days as a BIN with best offer. Again- you only pay if it sells. This reminds me- I need to list a ton of Sarah Coventry costume jewelry I have laying around.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:50 AM

1,745 posts, read 2,030,254 times
I have a few from my late grandmother... I wear them as hairpieces sometimes for weddings and formal events, they're very much in style that way.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:40 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,402,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have a whole bunch of really nice pins or brooches. Some costume and some Sterling Silver and som 24k gold. I don't wear them anymore and my daughters don't either. I would like to sell them all. Does anybody wear them anymore? Don't have time or energy for a garage sale for the costume stuff (fashion jewelry is what it is called now) so wondering how to sell them. Thank you.
If there are any of the nicer pieces that you really like/love - you could have a jeweler convert them so that you can wear them as a necklace. I don't wear pins - too heavy and I don't like poking holes in my clothes, but I do love to wear necklaces. I inherited a beautiful gold and diamond pin from my mother and I really love it, so I had the jeweler remove the pin part and they added these kind of "wing" things on the back instead. I put it on a heavy gold chain and wear it as a necklace.

Just a suggestion, in case there are any that you might want to keep.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:12 AM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
My mother tried to give me a bunch of pins she has. I used to wear them years ago when I had need of a winter coat but not anymore. They put holes in the clothes. I have some from my grandma that are over 60 years old that I keep for sentimental reasons but never wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty