Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 04:59 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,190 times

Advertisements

I've been on the hunt for years for the ideal bra and it's not going well. I've been buying bras off the web, because the selection is just as good or better than what I see in stores. What I'm seeking (and dying to know if anyone has found) is a bra with as much support as possible (both in front and back to balance the load), separation (I don't want them pushed together), and shorter straps so my breasts aren't so low.

I'm a 36D with a long torso, so my breasts look like they're in the middle of my body. I don't understand why every bra I get has such long straps...I have every one at the shortest setting and they still don't lift high enough. Because of my size the straps don't always stay there anyway. I spent $100 on a Unbelievabra and still have the same problem. I've had zero luck with sports bras. Most of them don't have underwire and push breasts together. I have no problem with tight fitting bras because I want as little movement as possible, but then there's the issue of back fat, side fat, etc. Another problem with many bras (like Playtex) is the horizontal stitching line across the middle - what the F is up with that? You can see the line thru clothes, and it also tends to make the nipple more pointy. I want round/flat cups, not Madonna crap!

Is this search a lost cause? I don't understand why they can't make what I want. I can picture the ideal bra in my mind. Perhaps I am not looking on the right websites, maybe they exist but are much more expensive. Appreciate any bra suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 05:06 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
I've had good luck at Soma, and this particular one:

https://www.soma.com/store/product/e...251953125-3965

... has shorter straps; doesn't show under T-shirts, prevents uniboob etc.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:00 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
1. Are you actually a 36D?

Based on your complaints it sounds like you are wearing a bra that is too big in the band. The straps are not designed to give you all the support - that is the job of the band.

I'd surmise you need to get properly sized first. Would not be shocked if your true size was more like a 32F or a 30G.

I'll post a link on how to properly measure to get a guesstimate. And then we can make proper suggestions.

You should get measured Nordstrom or a lingerie shop that has bands below 32 and cups above F - they will do a good job. Soma has a wide range of sizes for a mainstream stopes but sucks at fittings.

http://www.thinandcurvy.com/2010/10/...rrect.html?m=1

Old 03-09-2017, 10:25 AM

711 posts, read 688,378 times
I would agree that getting properly fitted would definitely be a good first step.

My experince with fittings is opposite jade's. I had much better luck with getting fitted and finding my bras at Soma than I did at Nordstrom. Hopefully though you have at least one of these or a good lingerie shop with a trained fitter available to you.

I would definitely recommend trying bras in person rather than ordering what you believe is your size online. I can order 10 different bras in my size and they'll all fit differently - some good, some not so great.

I have a longish torso as well for my height and my size dictates the need for a supportive bra. I like comfort too though! I've been wearing this one: https://www.soma.com/store/product/e...Pos=1-145-1566 You can see the photo of the back to see how adjustable the straps are.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
I would agree that getting properly fitted would definitely be a good first step.

My experince with fittings is opposite jade's. I had much better luck with getting fitted and finding my bras at Soma than I did at Nordstrom. Hopefully though you have at least one of these or a good lingerie shop with a trained fitter available to you.

I would definitely recommend trying bras in person rather than ordering what you believe is your size online. I can order 10 different bras in my size and they'll all fit differently - some good, some not so great.

I have a longish torso as well for my height and my size dictates the need for a supportive bra. I like comfort too though! I've been wearing this one: https://www.soma.com/store/product/e...Pos=1-145-1566 You can see the photo of the back to see how adjustable the straps are.
Soma, while not as bad as Victoria's Secret, fits me into a size they carry, vs one that fits. So what the measured me for was band that was way too big. And they don't have my cup/band combo. They do have sister sizes for me, but not close enough.

I haven't been sized at Nordstrom in a decade, and they no longer have as wide of a selection as they used to have, so I can see fitter quality downgrading as well.

OP: if after you measure, you land in a size that Soma carries, try it out. The biggest place that will illustrate if you are sized wrong is your undercuts measurement. If it is not 36, and you are wearing size 36 bands that is one of the largest areas of concern. You should land in a fairly easy range of full bust sizes than someone like me, so lots of brands - outside of Target/Walmart/Victoria's Secret should have something that fits you.

Come back to use with your measurements, and from there I can help with brands. Your self-measurements will be illustrative - even without a professional fitting.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:55 AM

Appreciate the suggestions...I have never heard of Soma and holy crap, we do have one here in Knoxville. Yeah I'm a 36D, I figured it out myself and then got double checked at JCPenney. A 34 is too tight; however I never tried a 34DD, that might work. The two Soma bras you ladies suggested...I looked at them (they look comfortable) and even though they say full coverage it doesn't look like enough support...the straps are thin and the back doesn't look like it supports a front load very well. In other words they look a lot like the bras I've been getting which are decent but not ideal. I have bras by Bali, Olga and Vanity Fair. I kinda think racerback styles are best for support however I have not found one yet. I realize too that bras are better when you first get them, then they stretch and wear out. I wash them in net bags.

I've bought many minimizer bras in the past, they're pretty good initially, I just want them HIGHER!

Old 03-10-2017, 05:03 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,709 times
Lane Bryant.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:05 AM

Thank you ladies so much for telling me about Soma! I see their Vanishing Back line and I will try to go there Sunday! Prices are reasonable! There is a Lane Bryant near there also.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:24 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I've been on the hunt for years for the ideal bra and it's not going well. I've been buying bras off the web, because the selection is just as good or better than what I see in stores. What I'm seeking (and dying to know if anyone has found) is a bra with as much support as possible (both in front and back to balance the load), separation (I don't want them pushed together), and shorter straps so my breasts aren't so low.

I'm a 36D with a long torso, so my breasts look like they're in the middle of my body. I don't understand why every bra I get has such long straps...I have every one at the shortest setting and they still don't lift high enough. Because of my size the straps don't always stay there anyway. I spent $100 on a Unbelievabra and still have the same problem. I've had zero luck with sports bras. Most of them don't have underwire and push breasts together. I have no problem with tight fitting bras because I want as little movement as possible, but then there's the issue of back fat, side fat, etc. Another problem with many bras (like Playtex) is the horizontal stitching line across the middle - what the F is up with that? You can see the line thru clothes, and it also tends to make the nipple more pointy. I want round/flat cups, not Madonna crap!

I have this problem all the time. I have to layer often because I love my Bali minimizer bra. I have tried other brand that are less "in your face" and more comfortable initially but as the day goes by the support decreases & I don't like them. So I go back to Bali again and again. I even got myself measured to see if my size changed and two different place measured me to be 36DD but I like the tight feeling of 34DDD

I hope OP has good luck in SOMA. I did not like them the one time I brought something from them.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:48 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Freya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty