U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 09:30 PM

1,847 posts, read 971,012 times

Advertisements

Why do some men where shoes that don't fit them? In sandals they have an inch in front of their toes! And the front part is curling up. In dress shoes I see the toes of the shoes curling up because they're just too big! What's up with that?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 08:21 AM

1,335 posts, read 800,225 times
I will start off by saying that I've noticed the same thing and it does appear that some men wear shoes that are, like, multiple sizes too big. I am not sure about why someone would wear a shoe that much too big. But I can definitely explain why someone might wear a shoes that might seem a little bit too big.

I think part of it may be that sizes vary from shoe company to shoe company. Someone may think, Oh, I'm a size X. And so they buy all their shoes in that size and some of them may be too big or too small.

In my collection of shoes there is a full 2 sizes difference between the smallest "size" and the largest "size" and yet they all fit my feet correctly. I don't understand why shoes the same length should have all different sizes, but they do.

Anyway, when I was younger, before I really grasped all of this and learned to try on every shoe I buy, I did have some shoes that were too big and some that were too small.

I also think the design of the shoe and the shape of one's foot (e.g. short toes/long toes -- where is the ball of your foot in relation to the end of your foot; as well as arch height) may meant that two men or women with the same length of foot, might be more comfortable in different sizes.

For me, I am most comfortable with the bending of my foot when there is a little bit of space at the end of my shoe. I'd say maybe a thumb's width if I have my heel all the way back in the shoe. Part of this is due to the length of my toes and ball of my foot, as well as the height of my arch. I get a shoe that's got my toes right up against the end of the shoe or close to it, I often find my arches are too high for the shoe, or my toes are too long and I'm trying to bend the shoe too far "back" in the design of the shoe. So, I learned to buy my shoes maybe half a size larger than someone who likes their toes snug might buy their shoes.

I hope that makes sense.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:55 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,359,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Why do some men where shoes that don't fit them? In sandals they have an inch in front of their toes! And the front part is curling up. In dress shoes I see the toes of the shoes curling up because they're just too big! What's up with that?
It all depends on the cut or "last" of the shoe. We wear shoes that are comfortable for us. Utility before fashion!

Old 03-30-2017, 09:59 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,232,975 times
As a teen I would always get my basketball shoes a half size big. It allowed me to double up on my socks for more cushion. Honestly, I don't think it made a bit of difference. But sometimes we do head scratching things as teenagers.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:12 AM

13,459 posts, read 15,067,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Men's dress shoes always have a cap on the toe other than loafers. It's open but your toes are quite a bit farther back from the tip of the shoe than on sneakers. If they weren't you'd be wearing a shoe that was a size or two too small. Almost all shoes curl up at the toe. I don't care if you're talking about work boots, dress shoes, running shoes, walking shoes, or flats. They almost all curl up. Particularly with Italian shoes though it goes beyond the curl necessary for good ergonomics and is done for style. It's not because the toes are too big. It's because the shoe is built to curl up as basically shoes are built.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,447 posts, read 50,699,085 times
I have always been a size 10-1/2, and can buy shoes on the internet and always have a perfect fit. I don't know why a guy would wear oversize shoes, unless they fell for that old wife's tale that "big feet means big (other thing) and they hope to impress the women.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:40 PM

13,459 posts, read 15,067,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have always been a size 10-1/2, and can buy shoes on the internet and always have a perfect fit. I don't know why a guy would wear oversize shoes, unless they fell for that old wife's tale that "big feet means big (other thing) and they hope to impress the women.
Depending on the shoe, I do size up half a size pretty frequently. I have fat feet though. Going up half a size or a size on a standard D width shoe fits much better than not going up a size, in general, or buying a EE if available. Varies from shoe to shoe though. While sizes are pretty consistent widths are not. A shoe that fits more like a B width even if it says it's a D is just not going to fit me. I'd have to go up about two sizes and then it's just way too long and the ball of the foot/arch/heel are all just off.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:17 PM

18,920 posts, read 12,521,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It all depends on the cut or "last" of the shoe. We wear shoes that are comfortable for us. Utility before fashion!
The main thing is where the arch of shoe fits the arch of the foot. Someone with a longer arch might need a longer shoe, even though there is a lot of toe room. A shorter shoe might be uncomfortable.

And then, some people don't know how to buy shoes that fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or