U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Offline have you ever been called "ugly" (or something similar)?
Yes, I'm male and I think so 16 18.39%
No, I'm male and I don't think so 8 9.20%
Yes, I'm female and I think so 35 40.23%
No, I'm female and I don't think so 28 32.18%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 01:28 PM

12,420 posts, read 13,084,552 times

Advertisements

I have been told that I was born entirely without any fashion DNA or fashion gene whatsoever. That is related to how I dress and my sense of style or lack thereof. Women sometimes offer to "show me how to use makeup" which I always decline. I have never worn makeup and this seems to bother some women. I don't know whether that is a commentary on my looks or not. People seem to notice more my décolletage and curves than pretty or ugly in my experience.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-03-2017 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 01:59 PM

854 posts, read 757,349 times
Yes so many times, that I close count. By my mother, my father, my friends, etc... I'm now in my 30's and age has done me justice -not model like but much better than teens/20's- and I think I can now say I'm learning to live with my ugliness.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:32 PM

17 posts, read 5,775 times
Yes, but only from family members. They would point out if my skin's looking horribly patchy, ask why I have acne or comment about how my hair doesn't look good. It doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but it's still pretty annoying.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:25 PM

1,221 posts, read 710,311 times
No, I never have. I've been called beautiful, pretty, hot, and cute. Personally, I don't think I'm bad,y put together, but I also don't see what others supposedly see. I'm just "me."

Old 04-03-2017, 07:24 PM

647 posts, read 228,628 times
I was in high school in the 80s, and our school encouraged boys and girls to try out different shop/home ec classes. The teachers weren't always on board, being mostly old school trades guys. A few of us girls took electronics for a semester, and the teacher sarcastically called me "the pretty one" on more than one occasion.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:36 PM

5,415 posts, read 3,386,979 times
My father referred to my sister and I as Ugly #1 and Ugly #2.

He had other, similar choice insults about our looks.

ETA: To answer the person who repped me, no, my mother did not break up with him. He left her, years later.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 04-03-2017 at 08:28 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 08:52 PM

4,838 posts, read 2,145,909 times
Yes. And it fit the scenario. I at a point in my life had a very mean streak when speaking to others. A client had enough of my attitude ...Said I was ugly to the bone. I tend to think that assessment was warranted and true.
I no longer have the desire to carry such an attitude...
Looks wise though...As a child it was said by peers.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:51 PM

4,515 posts, read 1,941,562 times
Yes. A boy I liked in the 9th grade called me ugly over the phone, and he KNEW I had a crush on him. Supposedly he saw me treating someone poorly at school and decided I was a terrible person, even though I never did figure out what the heck he was referring to and he never considered that maybe he walked in on the middle of something and I was just standing up for myself. I was just stunned. I was good friends with his best friend and he later apologized to me as the year went on and he learned I wasn't a monster. After high school he had a bunch of out-of-wedlock kids and never did further his education or have much of a career. I saw his wife on social media--she is like three of me put together. I consider myself as having the last laugh.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:48 AM

468 posts, read 365,039 times
I have never in my life had anyone say I am attractive in any way. Never been told I am cute, handsome, or otherwise. Would be nice to hear it but it has never happened. However hearing I am not attractive has not impacted my life far as I know.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:09 AM

3,673 posts, read 3,253,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
"Ugly" has come up in a few different recent threads. However, I haven't ever seen a group of people discuss whether offline (by, for example, a classmate) they have ever been called "ugly" (or otherwise described as such). I'm sure it's most common among adolescents, but for example I wonder if it's sometimes used against people who aren't actually ugly. Ready, set, go. It will be fun - not.
Dudes, especially young dudes, call each other "ugly" all the time. I don't count that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or