U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Offline have you ever been called "ugly" (or something similar)?
Yes, I'm male and I think so 16 18.39%
No, I'm male and I don't think so 8 9.20%
Yes, I'm female and I think so 35 40.23%
No, I'm female and I don't think so 28 32.18%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 11:47 AM

9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times

Advertisements

why would being called ugly offend people? not the worst thing to say to someone.

i shrug it off and call them poor and dumb instead, not like i was attracted to someone like that to begin with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 11:58 AM

709 posts, read 334,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
why would being called ugly offend people? not the worst thing to say to someone.
Because it's one of those things that can't really be changed.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:28 PM

9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
Because it's one of those things that can't really be changed.
changed how? it's a self confidence issue

or a plastic surgery one...

Old 04-12-2017, 09:33 PM

709 posts, read 334,874 times
Quote:
changed how? it's a self confidence issue

or a plastic surgery one...
No, I mean that ugliness is something that someone is born with. It's like making fun of someone for being short or having big ears, that person can't change it without something drastic like surgery. I think making fun of people for something that they can't control is horrible, I was a victim of it myself.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:01 PM

2,624 posts, read 2,111,724 times
Cosmetic surgery sometimes can change it, but being called "ugly" is often done to kids, who typically haven't yet developed strong confidence or sense of identity and automatically have little or no ability to advocate surgery for themselves.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:13 PM

2,276 posts, read 924,043 times
Yes, I was called "ugly" and numerous other insults when I was in school. I was a favorite target of bullies and pretty much took what they dished out back then.

I have significantly changed since then and bullying is a special pet peeve of mine.

"Ugly" isn't the worst thing that I was called but I remember that it upset me at the time and I believed that I was ugly.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:19 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,737,265 times
Quote:

i shrug it off and call them poor and dumb instead, not like i was attracted to someone like that to begin with

oh do show us the path to self confidence, master!

Old 04-13-2017, 03:54 AM

4,549 posts, read 3,501,073 times
Quote:

Because they don't wanna be considered ugly. So when they called ugly, it just reaffirms that they're considered ugly. lol

Everyone doesn't care about the same things. Some are fine being called ugly, but would hate to be called short. Some don't mind being called ugly, but would hate if you insulted their dress-style. Some don't care about being insulted period, but would be offended if you insulted someone they cared about.

It depends on the person. But for some, they want to be a person that is considered physically nice-looking, as it comes with some perks they may desire. Even if it's just getting that guy or girl you like to sleep with you.

Last edited by HappyRain; 04-13-2017 at 04:32 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 12:21 AM

332 posts, read 168,602 times
i really don't gaf if people think im ugly because i never thought i was. people that go around calling others ugly need to take a long hard look in the mirror

Old 04-18-2017, 03:44 PM

5,263 posts, read 2,874,948 times
There was a guy in middle school who looked very much like a monkey- he had twice as many teeth as he needed- and he used to take every opportunity to call me names and let me know that I was 'ugly.' He even defaced a photo of me that was in the newspaper. He wrote, "dog" over the top of my head and then made sure everyone knew about it.

One other time in high school some guy told his friend, "She's kind of ugly. Fart in her face." That one was pretty rude.

When I hit my late 20s and early 30s, I guess I must have improved quite a bit physically because I got hit on often. I'm married so I wasn't interested. One guy in a bar didn't take it well when I told him I wasn't interested and told me that I was a cross-dresser! I actually laughed really loudly and it made him even more mad. It was hilarious that he thought that was some kind of insult.

Now that I'm in my 40s, someone could call me whatever they want and it wouldn't bother me at all. I don't give a rip what anyone else thinks. Has no bearing on anything in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or