U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Offline have you ever been called "ugly" (or something similar)?
Yes, I'm male and I think so 16 18.39%
No, I'm male and I don't think so 8 9.20%
Yes, I'm female and I think so 35 40.23%
No, I'm female and I don't think so 28 32.18%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:01 PM

15,736 posts, read 11,738,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
"Ugly" has come up in a few different recent threads. However, I haven't ever seen a group of people discuss whether offline (by, for example, a classmate) they have ever been called "ugly" (or otherwise described as such). I'm sure it's most common among adolescents, but for example I wonder if it's sometimes used against people who aren't actually ugly. Ready, set, go. It will be fun - not.
yeah, numerous times when I was under 20. And Yes, I was actually ugly until I was about 15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 05:09 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,207,954 times
Yeah, but I've had plenty of counterbalancing comments. Depending on the source is how much it affected or didn't affect me.

What's super sad is when it goes on to affect things that matter. I recall a recruiting trip for our firm back in the old days. We were at a reputable school, and this big awkward guy was walking around to chat. He's clearly nervous and he has an eye that twitches uncontrollably. I asked who he was and looked up the resume. 3.9 GPA with a double major in accounting and information systems. This guy was gold on paper, and he should have been snapped up by the (then) Big 5 in a heartbeat. Yet, here he was.

What was sad is every person he spoke with either kept their face buried in his resume or spoke while looking elsewhere. Initial look, distance, fumbling awkward conversation move on.

He made his way over to our table. I didn't get to him first, but being the junior guy, the person there was quick to pass him. Looked square in the face the whole time and we had a conversation. We joked. He calmed down. As he calmed down, the twitching got less and less. He was physically big, well, over 6 foot and not skinny to boot. He was an introvert, but seemed fine once he was calmed down. Amazingly intelligent and with a great grasp of things, he was my first pick.

The economy was good at the time, so I was able to get him. We hired 12 that year. I tried to place him on my jobs. With a little coaching on how to approach meetings, he became awesome. Further, he was able to find and integrate a system for the firm to get us off paper for the first time ever....by himself. He left a year after I did for a larger firm interested in his system's work. Now he pretty much runs one of the largest audit support systems in the world. I haven't seen his twitch in over a decade. He got his confidence and it seemed to go away.

We ended up becoming good friends. He admit at some point that ours was the only offer he received.

Had another that was a friend beforehand. He was fat, and looked dumb. Just his face, he was actually quite bright, but he didn't look bright. Couldn't get a callback to save his life. Kept dogging it at a job he hated and couldn't use the degree he'd gotten. I got him an in that was super conditional. I let him know and jumped at the opportunity. He did it from there on his own power, against dubious expectations. Today his divisions are nearly $2B in sales that he manages and growing 20% annually for the past 5.

There's an old Vietnamese saying paraphrased as a home is blessed by an ugly wife, meaning that someone with too many options may not be as committed to a household.

A bit off topic, but the point is to make sure to check your own decisions. Too large of a discount/premium is given based upon a person's perceived attractiveness in my opinion.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:51 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,736,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
What's super sad is when it goes on to affect things that matter.

Too large of a discount/premium is given based upon a person's perceived attractiveness in my opinion.
THESE!

i've had two super pretty, busty coworkers who were let off by ticketing officers for speeding (over 10mph the speed limit) for being downright pretty! a male coworker wasn't let off even when he was just 2mph over the speed limit, and everyone else around him was zipping by.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:21 PM

4,649 posts, read 3,016,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
There's an old Vietnamese saying paraphrased as a home is blessed by an ugly wife, meaning that someone with too many options may not be as committed to a household.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NF5XU-k2Vk

Old 04-21-2017, 02:30 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,487,020 times
I don't think I've been called 'ugly' since middle school. I think some of the meanest people in the world are between the ages of 12 and 14. LOL

Old 04-28-2017, 10:19 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,812,423 times
plenty of people have been called ugly, you read about supermodels having been called ugly when they were younger. Some people are just cruel and petty, not to mention jealous.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:54 AM

3,269 posts, read 4,659,544 times
The one person who called me ugly is an alcoholic and he said it with a bizarre jokey vibe. he dropped his voice 2 octaves or so when he said the word ugly. he's the same person who said he thought I was born with a good face meaning the way it was shaped. The positive comment was said sober. He's drunk half the time, sober half the time. So yes, he's weird and he's not exactly Ryan Reynolds so his opinion isn't of great importance to me. So, including his comments, I think I've been called nearly everything from handsome to dapper ... One person said "hottie" and I thought "Uh, you need an eye exam." There are countless days when I feel ugly. A good number of my friends of both genders have facial prettiness or are above average or whatever you want to call it, if that means anything (It prolly doesn't[?]) Male here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or