U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:36 PM

7,959 posts, read 3,862,498 times

Advertisements

If you have a Sephora nearby, they will color match for you and give you samples to take home and try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 01:37 PM

11,018 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you have a Sephora nearby, they will color match for you and give you samples to take home and try.
I was going to suggest this as well. I would not spend anywhere close to $50 on foundation unless I knew for sure it was a good color match and I liked the look and feel of it. That is nearly impossible from just looking at the bottle, and just testing it on your face for a few minutes in a store with bright lights isn't usually helpful either. I like to see how the foundation looks in different light (especially outside) and also how it feels throughout the day. I've gotten some foundation that looked and felt great when I first put it on, but by the end of the day my face feels like its been soaked in grease. I would think that some foundations that are supposed to give a dewy look, would end up feeling greasy after a while.

And what works for one person's skin might not for another. A lot of the foundations I have tried but didn't like were recommended to me by someone else.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:07 PM

18,840 posts, read 12,465,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Could it be BB cream? It's popular in Korea by both men and women, getting popular here in the US apparently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDTYkcxrc78
youtube video on how to make it yourself

sounds like it is a sun block/lotion/foundation that's mixed together and packaged at a marked up price, video makes it look easy to make
I've used BB cream (Revlon) for several years instead of regular foundation. I like how it evens out the color of my skin without masking it. It is oily. The finish is not matte, but I would not call it dewy. I have liked it on my my older dry skin though.

I like Revlon makeup because I get a better match for my light peachy skin than I have found with any other brand, including the new L'Oréal line. I recommend selecting for color and skin compatility before any other characteristic.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:10 PM

724 posts, read 1,107,466 times
Yes, one person's dewy might be another's shiny. I have had better luck with illuminating powder than with cream. I picked up "Profusion Highlighter Kit" at TJ Maxx. It was very inexpensive, has four shades and includes a brush. For me one of the shades is too light, one is too pink and the others are fine for my skin tone. I always use an antioxidant serum and if going out, foundation applied with a wedge. I'm just starting to experiment with the powders but found that even without foundation they give a nice glow.

Edited to add: the one I bought is "STROBE".

Old 04-03-2017, 04:34 PM

9,096 posts, read 3,918,635 times
My skin is extremely dry. I used to have to use a moisturizing serum, let it soak in, then apply a moisturizer on top of the serum, then my foundation. Then I tried Cover Girl Hydrating make-up which is inexpensive and works as well as foundations that cost much more. A few weeks ago I discovered a foundation primer at Target call e.l.f. for $6.00 which comes in a couple of different formulas: one for tone adjusting, one for ruddiness, etc. It makes my skin feel so soft and even at the end of the day my skin doesn't look or feel dry and flaky. Not sure if it's "dewy" or not but it sure feels great.

I have tried Clinique, Prescriptives, Lancôme and lots of other foundations and none have worked as well for me as the Cover Girl.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:56 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
My skin is also dry, right now I am oil cleansing, washing with a normal foaming cleanser and following that with an "emulsion" - a liquid lotion, an oil-based serum and sunscreen!

I do a moisturizing mask 1-2x a week. My skin is happy with this more complex routine - even bare skinned! Way more glow.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:58 PM

9,096 posts, read 3,918,635 times
What kind of moisturizing mask?

Old 04-04-2017, 05:50 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
What kind of moisturizing mask?
These are great:

Target:
Quenching Mineral Face Mask | Vichy Laboratoires
Water Sleeping Mask

Department stores or Sephora:
https://www.origins.com/product/1534...h-skins-thirst

All three you just leave on overnight. The Origins and Vichy ones are heavier - I use 1-2x a week - either one. these don't fully absorb until overnight. Your skin will feel sort of moist, but not unpleasant. The Vichy requires rubbing in after It sits for 10 minutes. The Origins you just rub in immediately.

The Lineage is lighter and is fine for daily use for me. This one absorbs quickly.

Any of these leaves my skin glowing the next morning, and since you don't have to wash it off (till the next day) they are simple to use before bed. Wash your face, use this instead of night cream. Done.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:11 PM

5,457 posts, read 4,575,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
Lately, I have seen several women on television wearing a new foundation or a new moisturizer that is dewy. It looks beautiful, but I have no idea which one is it.

I have very-dry skin, and like my make-up to be DEWY, and most foundations make my skin dry, especially the matte one, which does nothing for my skin, but makes it look drier.

I purchased Elizabeth Arden foundation, and put in a dab of oil, and it has been the closest one to make my skin look alive, but E/A is too expensive.....

How about these tinted moisturizers. Does anyone know which one makes the skin look dewy?

Hoping that I get some solutions, here. Thank you,
I work for a cosmetic company whose best selling product is the tinted moisturizer. The original does provide a natural dewy finish, the oil-free provides a demi-matte finish.

Tinted moisturizers are the sheerest form of foundation. If a dewy finish is what you are looking for, massage your choice of moisturizer (not the tinted one) into your skin, followed by massaging primer into your skin (will help lock in moisture), then the tinted moisturizer.

When choosing a primer, pick one with no or very low silicone as its ingredient.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:22 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,749,487 times
Makeup products that "illuminate" the skin seem to be the key. Not putting on glittery lotions, but using illuminating foundation or blushes in particular. Estee Lauder Illuminating Perfecting Primer, for example. Or, RMS Beauty Living Luminizer. Then use cream eye makeup, cream blush, and a gloss or lip/cheek cream for the lips. Avoid glitter, or makeup that has too much twinkly shimmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or