U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:11 AM

3,463 posts, read 2,299,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not sure what "dewy" even means, as far as the face.
"Dewy" means it gives it a somewhat wet, shimmery, glistening, shiny or well moisturized look. In some cases, depending upon how it is done, I think it goes too far and appears more of a greasy or excessively oily look on some women. Here are some samples of women using dewy foundations or creating a dewy look:
https://www.google.com/search?q=dewy...oundation+look
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 02:27 PM

1,220 posts, read 973,295 times
A lot of women use highlighting primer and mix it with their foundation. I put highlighter/illuminator AND moisturizer in my foundation for an all over glow, and apply it with my fingers. Then I do touches of illuminator on the bridge of my nose, upper cheek area, and cupid's bow for a natural "no makeup" makeup look. I hate wearing or looking like a I have a lot of makeup on. I use more highlighter and moisturizer than I do foundation when I mix them together to achieve that look.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:49 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,719,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
A few weeks ago I discovered a foundation primer at Target call e.l.f. for $6.00 which comes in a couple of different formulas: one for tone adjusting, one for ruddiness, etc. It makes my skin feel so soft and even at the end of the day my skin doesn't look or feel dry and flaky. Not sure if it's "dewy" or not but it sure feels great.

I have tried Clinique, Prescriptives, Lancôme and lots of other foundations and none have worked as well for me as the Cover Girl.
I just had to tell you that I was at the store the other day and I saw e.l.f products and I remembered this thread! So I decided to pick one of the primers up. I couldn't remember which one's you had mentioned so I picked up the Beautifully Bare Luminous Matte Makeup Primer and I love it! My husband even commented on how smooth and good my face looked last night when we went out to dinner.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 04-15-2017, 09:26 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,583,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I just had to tell you that I was at the store the other day and I saw e.l.f products and I remembered this thread! So I decided to pick one of the primers up. I couldn't remember which one's you had mentioned so I picked up the Beautifully Bare Luminous Matte Makeup Primer and I love it! My husband even commented on how smooth and good my face looked last night when we went out to dinner.

Thanks for the recommendation!
ELF primers have a lot of silicone in them....which makes for a smooth canvas but can clog your pores badly. I loved the effect of the primer under my foundation, but came up with lots of milia (whiteheads) after a week or so of using.

I still use mine for lips only - makes a nice base for lipstick but cannot use on my face. Just make sure you cleanse thoroughly when removing makeup and suggest a deep cleansing masque once a week. I now use Laura Mercier primers, which are water based and contain no silicone.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:36 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,719,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
ELF primers have a lot of silicone in them....which makes for a smooth canvas but can clog your pores badly. I loved the effect of the primer under my foundation, but came up with lots of milia (whiteheads) after a week or so of using.

I still use mine for lips only - makes a nice base for lipstick but cannot use on my face. Just make sure you cleanse thoroughly when removing makeup and suggest a deep cleansing masque once a week. I now use Laura Mercier primers, which are water based and contain no silicone.
Thanks for the FYI!

Hopefully I won't have too many issue with it since I only wear makeup maybe once a week or so :-) But that is definitely good to know and if need be may try out the Laura Mercier one if I start to have issues with it. Do you know if the LM one works good on dry skin?

Old 04-16-2017, 12:17 PM

5,463 posts, read 4,583,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Thanks for the FYI!

Hopefully I won't have too many issue with it since I only wear makeup maybe once a week or so :-) But that is definitely good to know and if need be may try out the Laura Mercier one if I start to have issues with it. Do you know if the LM one works good on dry skin?
Applied after a moisturizer, all primers will help lock in moisture. If additional moisturization is wanted, LM does offer a hydrating primer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or