U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 06:25 AM

4,810 posts, read 5,434,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post

That article was written by a company that makes skin care products. Of course, it's going to tell you not to use rubbing alcohol.

Here's a site where real women rate cosmetic items. In 21 reviews, rubbing alcohol gets 4.7 out of 5 stars:
https://www.makeupalley.com/product/...d-Brand/Toners

Edited to add that this will be my last post in this thread. As I said previously, I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm not going to break into your house bearing a cotton square dripping with alcohol and lather it all over your face while you sleep. But I pray that, for those desperate to cure their pimples/acne, it may be the miracle solution that it was for me.
Show where the science of what she is saying is wrong, and then maybe I'd listen.

Paula Begoun is highly respected as an expert on skin care and is probably the only one out there who evaluates products based on actual science. She's the only one who will tell you that yes, a certain product might have a beneficial ingredient, but that it doesn't have enough of it to be effective. She's the only one who will say a certain formula is great, but the method of packaging will degrade the product over time. People can save a lot of money by consulting her reviews before buying.

You are dismissing someone who deserves a lot of respect for all the work she has done and the education she provides. She was very clear in the article I linked to to differentiate between bad alcohols and good alcohols (fatty alcohols) and to explain the difference. But the bottom line is that the bad alcohols erode skin and even cause oily skin to produce far more oil and develop larger pores. No wonder you use it so many times per day!!! You are increasing the oil in your skin!

As for Makeup Alley as a source of information. It's a good site for what it is, but the women are not evaluating anything based on science. They are consumers casually trying different products whereas Paula Begoun is looking at the science behind the ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 01:51 PM

18,847 posts, read 12,465,112 times
Just wanted to add a bit to the cleanser question. It might have been on this thread where I ran into the term "makeup eraser" so I looked it up. I discovered there are microfiber pads which will take off makeup, can be rinsed and air dried for the next day. Makeup eraser claims you don't need any cleanser except water, but I don't believe that when it comes to waterproof mascara.

At any rate after reading about similar products on Amazaon, I ordered this:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B019926Z...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I used the pads for a couple of weeks, and decided they solve a travel problem. When we travel and stay at the same place for several nights, I run out of clean washcloths to use on my face. If I rinse out a cloth, it will probably not be dry for the next day. These cloths work great for washing off makeup, and they can be rinsed easily and they will dry quickly.

I do prefer to use cleanser though.

For every day use, I prefer washcloths. I get just enough exfoliation with a regular washcloth. The Elume pads are too soft to provide that. But for travel, they are a good find.

Oh, the disposable facial cleaning cloths are too harsh for my skin.

Hope someone finds this interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty