Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 01:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

You should be able to find a good, gentle cleanser at the drugstore.

I use CeraVe and it agrees with my sensitive skin. I think the "chemicals" everyone is so afraid of are at least backed by research. I've had worse reactions from all natural products.

I would trust products from Cetaphil, CerVe or Neutragena. I would not be averse to other major market gentle cleansers. I'd try several of these first. If you can't find a product you like, then move up to higher priced products recommended by your dermatologist.

But, yes, use a gentler cleanser than bar soap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 02:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Does anyone here use bacterial soap? Like Dial? I figure if hospitals recommend washing with Dial, then it's good enough for me.

I'm older now, and my skin is dryer, but I used to have oily break out prone skin well into my 40's. Dial soap and a salicylic toner works pretty good for me.
My SO uses the Dial antibacterial soap. I find it very drying, but I will use it occasionally in the summer when my skin seems to get more oily.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Cons.../ucm378393.htm

Antibacterial soaps (sometimes called antimicrobial or antiseptic soaps) contain certain chemicals not found in plain soaps. Those ingredients are added to many consumer products with the intent of reducing or preventing bacterial infection.
Many liquid soaps labeled antibacterial contain triclosan, an ingredient of concern to many environmental, academic and regulatory groups. Animal studies have shown that triclosan alters the way some hormones work in the body and raises potential concerns for the effects of use in humans. We don’t yet know how triclosan affects humans and more research is needed.

“There’s no data demonstrating that these drugs provide additional protection from diseases and infections. Using these products might give people a false sense of security,” Michele says. “If you use these products because you think they protect you more than soap and water, that’s not correct. If you use them because of how they feel, there are many other products that have similar formulations but won’t expose your family to unnecessary chemicals. And some manufacturers have begun to revise these products to remove these ingredients.”

OK, here is one chemical I would not use: triclosan. I wouid not use it on my face or body. Years ago I used it in a hand soap, and it irritated my skin. Personally, I'd keep it off my face.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
You could always ask (or check online) to see if you can find the same thing, or similar, at a less expensive price by another brand. There are probably more options than the gold-plated brand that your doctor recommended. Like generic versus brand-name prescriptions... the differences might not matter.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:04 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I have acne prone skin with clogged pores, blackheads, whiteheads and scars. My derm keeps trying to push Epionce Lytic TX cleanser on me. I told her I have actually tried it and liked it but I don't think cleansers make much of a difference since they wash off, and Epinoce is expensive. The only difference is how drying one can be over another. A milk cleanser would be good for extra dry skin and a cleanser with harsher ingredients might be better for oiler skin. My derm actually tried to get me to use a Sulphur cleanser at night as well, but since it was $70 and I know my skin will flake, I said no way. I just use Dove soap and think it's about the same. My skin is more affected by what I eat and products I leave on it than cleansers. I don't get acne much anymore but still have clogged pores and scars.

I do think scrubs are more important than cleansers. I liked Olay Regenerist microdermabrasion peel.

I remember some dermatologist on TV saying to spend money on moisturizers NOT cleansers, since, like you said, they are just washed off.

I use Simple cleansing clothes for sensitive skin but they also have them for acne prone skin and an exfoliating option also.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:54 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post

I just wanted to know if more expensive cleansers make a difference over a simple Dove bar soap (what I use).

I have acne prone skin, clogged pores, blackheads and scars. My derm has been trying to push Epionce Lytic TX on me. I've used it before. Great texture, smells nice, fancy packaging, but didn't notice much difference. I think scrubs and topical creams make more of a difference. I also have sensitive skin so I have to be careful about what I use. My derm also prescribed a sulfur cleanser for nighttime but I turned it down because it was too expensive and I know my skin would just flake.

Besides the level of dryness and cost, it doesn't seem like cleansers really make much difference? My skin has actually been pretty dry. I'm thinking of switching to a milk cleanser or Cetaphil... but it seems loaded with chemicals.
The ingredients that cause soap to stay solid, also clogs pores. That makes soaps and beauty bars a bad choice, but especially for those suffering from acne and clogged pores.

I like Cetaphil. They make a forumula for dry-to-normal skin and one for normal-to-oily skin. I use the latter. CeraVe is even better as far as having zero fragrance, but my skin doesn't like it somehow.

There is no need to spend a lot on cleansers since they are washed off. You just want to make sure they don't irritate your skin or clog your pores. Any treatments for acne should be products that stay on the skin once it's washed.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:24 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
I have dry skin that can be sensitive in certain places, and no acne.

I use oil. Just plain ol' vitamin E oil, massaged all over my face and then rubbed off with a damp washcloth. After cleansing, I spritz on a toner, then massage on another layer of oil.

Other cleansers I like are CeraVe and Mario Badescu "Cleansing Milk with Carnation and Rice Oil."

I like my Clarisonic, but I have to use the delicate head and even then it can be too harsh for my skin with every-day use. Every other day works better.

Have used Bioelements Sensitive Skin cleanser, but I can't use it everyday.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
My face was broken out until I reached 30. Then it cleared up only because I started using plain ole rubbing alcohol 4-5-6 times a day. I've been doing that for 41 years and my face has been clear and soft and lovely ever since. (And, yes, I posted about rubbing alcohol on this site a few years ago and was accused of lying about the condition of my skin, so I posted a photo proving my claim.)

Old 04-04-2017, 10:51 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Everyone's skin is different. My skin is dryer, and I use CeraVe. I find it cleans well, including makeup. They have a foaming cleanser. I'd always heard you shouldn't be rough and use harsh cleansers with acne, because it makes your face pump out more oil to compensate. Could be wrong.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:46 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Don't waste your money on pricey soap. I have invested in stock of companies who make it and sell it. I have made a lot of money on people who buy it.

Truth is, the outer layer of your skin is dead / continually dying, replaced by new skin growing in below. What you put into you, is far more important than what you put on your skin. Pay attention to your diet, esp getting enough protein. Get plenty of exercise, drink little or no alcohol, quit smoking, if you do. Keep caffeine consumption to a minimum. If you are serious about the health of that new layer of skin growing in, that's the way to improve your appearance.

Heck, if you do all that, you won't even need to wash it, with anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty