U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 10:10 AM

2,745 posts, read 2,084,005 times

Advertisements

I have acne prone skin with clogged pores, blackheads, whiteheads and scars. My derm keeps trying to push Epionce Lytic TX cleanser on me. I told her I have actually tried it and liked it but I don't think cleansers make much of a difference since they wash off, and Epinoce is expensive. The only difference is how drying one can be over another. A milk cleanser would be good for extra dry skin and a cleanser with harsher ingredients might be better for oiler skin. My derm actually tried to get me to use a Sulphur cleanser at night as well, but since it was $70 and I know my skin will flake, I said no way. I just use Dove soap and think it's about the same. My skin is more affected by what I eat and products I leave on it than cleansers. I don't get acne much anymore but still have clogged pores and scars.

I do think scrubs are more important than cleansers. I liked Olay Regenerist microdermabrasion peel.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 06:09 AM

2 posts, read 963 times
Yes it does make a difference -
A common benefit of facial cleansing is the removal of dirt, oil, and other unwanted debris from the skin.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Mod note: Two threads merged - some additional info from OP here...

I just wanted to know if more expensive cleansers make a difference over a simple Dove bar soap (what I use).

I have acne prone skin, clogged pores, blackheads and scars. My derm has been trying to push Epionce Lytic TX on me. I've used it before. Great texture, smells nice, fancy packaging, but didn't notice much difference. I think scrubs and topical creams make more of a difference. I also have sensitive skin so I have to be careful about what I use. My derm also prescribed a sulfur cleanser for nighttime but I turned it down because it was too expensive and I know my skin would just flake.

Besides the level of dryness and cost, it doesn't seem like cleansers really make much difference? My skin has actually been pretty dry. I'm thinking of switching to a milk cleanser or Cetaphil... but it seems loaded with chemicals.

Last edited by toosie; 04-06-2017 at 03:38 AM..

Old 04-04-2017, 11:07 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
I think so, but that doesn't mean you need the most expensive. My skin has been really happy with oil cleansers. I alternate Ole Hendricksens Red Tea Cleanser and a random oil cleanser I picked up on clearance. I'll probably replace it with the Burts Bees oil cleanser.

I used cetaphil for a while but I didn't feel like my skin was clean enough. I went back to more gentle foaming cleansers. I also use scrubs a few times a week and have added face masks. They help.

I say play around. I don't know the price point of the one your dermatologist is recommending. But I have tried lots of different ones and many work. I am sticking with the Ole Hendricksen based on performance and slightly better ingredient list. And the oil cleansers have really been super effective for me. I started double cleansing this year.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:15 AM

944 posts, read 769,054 times
I actually like the inexpensive cleansers more. Difference for me is using a Clarisonic brush to remove more of the dirt and makeup.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:18 AM

21,464 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Hmm.. that was weird.

I just wanted to know if more expensive cleansers make a difference over a simple Dove bar soap (what I use).

I have acne prone skin, clogged pores, blackheads and scars. My derm has been trying to push Epionce Lytic TX on me. I've used it before. Great texture, smells nice, fancy packaging, but didn't notice much difference. I think scrubs and topical creams make more of a difference. I also have sensitive skin so I have to be careful about what I use. My derm also prescribed a sulfur cleanser for nighttime but I turned it down because it was too expensive and I know my skin would just flake.

Besides the level of dryness and cost, it doesn't seem like cleansers really make much difference? My skin has actually been pretty dry. I'm thinking of switching to a milk cleanser or Cetaphil... but it seems loaded with chemicals.
I have oily skin and blackheads, and every derm I've ever been to has always recommended cleansers like Purpose, Cerave, or Cetaphil.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 AM

13,137 posts, read 7,387,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Hmm.. that was weird.

A lot of people don't know that bad acne has a strong genetic component. It sounds like OP has moderate to severe acne, and in many cases, you can scrub your face with lye and a Brillo pad and it won't make a lick of difference. I had severe acne with some of those cysts. I tried every cleanser imaginable for decades, various antibiotics, creams, and unguins, and the only thing that cured my acne was Accutane. And it was a miracle cure. In short, spending more on creams won't help if you have the zit gene

Old 04-04-2017, 11:58 AM

I have hormonal acne. On Spironolactone. Epionce is $35, the sulfur cleanser is $70. My budget is around $10-$20. I might try an oil cleanser. I always feel like I could make my own though lol but I've tried that and it didn't turn out well.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:59 AM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
I use Clinique rinse off foaming cleanser. It makes my skin feel very clean without feeling dry. I've been using Clinique moisturizer since I was a teenager - going back almost 4 decades I guess! I get my age guessed at 10-15 years younger than I am, which is part good genes and part not being a sun worshipper, but I also give credit to Clinique.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:29 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,487,020 times
Does anyone here use bacterial soap? Like Dial? I figure if hospitals recommend washing with Dial, then it's good enough for me.

I'm older now, and my skin is dryer, but I used to have oily break out prone skin well into my 40's. Dial soap and a salicylic toner works pretty good for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty