Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 11:13 AM

190 posts, read 247,028 times

Advertisements

What I mean is, I see mens clothes rarely ever change, so they end up wearing it for minimum of 4-5 seasons (sometimes 6 seasons). With womens styles, it seems as it lasts 2-3 seasons until it completely changes over unless its certain clothes that last 3-4 seasons but thats it. Also, is there any reason for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 12:17 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
You seem to be talking about two entirely different things - fashion and durability.

Fashion changes constantly. That's how they get women to be constantly spending money to update their wardrobe.

Durability varies, mostly depending on the quality of the item. I mostly buy classics and expect them to last.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:51 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,630 times
Right, I buy for durability not fashion, also fashion doesn't adequate to style. You can buy all the latest "fashions" and still not look "stylish" what's most important is to know your body type and what looks good on you. Regardless of what's "in" or not.

I look very good in skinny jeans so they will always be my jean style of choice regardless if they are in fashion or not. I also buy expensive jeans that I know will last a few years vs cheap jeans that will stretch out and loose shape after a couple wears.

Also men's fashion changes just as frequently as women's as fashion shows every year showcase both men and women however most men do not buy "fashion" they buy what looks good on them therefor that slows down the big variations in the fashion choices for them. Where as women will go out and buy a lace top just because Anginlina Joley wore it and now a regular top has become "fashionable" just because a celebrity was seen wearing it.

It's all marketing and I rarely buy trends/fashions unless it agrees with me and I will continue to wear it regardless if it goes out of fashion. Like the denim jacket I will always have one because to me it is a classic piece that never truly goes out of style.

I focus on being stylish not fashionable.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:10 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
I've learned a lot from stylist Jennifer Butler and her website videos.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:13 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglyme22 View Post
What I mean is, I see mens clothes rarely ever change, so they end up wearing it for minimum of 4-5 seasons (sometimes 6 seasons). With womens styles, it seems as it lasts 2-3 seasons until it completely changes over unless its certain clothes that last 3-4 seasons but thats it. Also, is there any reason for this?
If you get classic pieces instead of following a trend your wardrobe should last as long as you care for your wardrobe properly.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:48 PM

219 posts, read 162,950 times
Depends on the quality, type of fabric, and how often you wear it. If it's used for working out in then not long but if it's a business suit that you only wear to meetings then it'll last years.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:49 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Women are more prone to dress based on trends than men are. That's not to say ALL women dress to trends. Most of my wardrobe is comprised of pieces that could have been worn 10 years ago (and many probably were worn 10 years ago! LOL) and will likely still be wearable 10 years from now (if they last that long).

Old 04-03-2017, 01:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
If your style is trendy, you'll need to change it up more often. If you are classic, basic, or casual, not so much.

Quality and durability vary greatly, though.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
If you mean, how long do clothes made for women look good before becoming worn, then the answer is, it depends on several things. The better quality the garment, the longer it will look good. But you can't just throw things into the wash helter shelter either.

If I obtain a high quality garment, I make sure to launder it carefully. You can keep things looking fresh and newer longer if you give them them gentle care.

If you are talking style, then how you dress is a choice. A good strategy is to own a few quality pieces that can be stylishly worn for a decade. You can style them differently with other, trendy pieces that don't cost so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty