Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,396,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
It kinda does scare me, that's why I asked. She is so toned and fit, too!

And when really obese people lose weight, they must look like that all over!?
Nope, depends on if you're prone to them, as well as how quickly or gradually weight or bulk has come on or come off. They're caused by underlying tissue mass and densities changing more quickly than the elastins in skin tissues can keep up.

Kind of how pulling a rubber band really quickly and an extreme amount can permanently alter the rubber band's elasticity, whereas lightly stretching it, and not too much at once, doesn't do the same damage. Elastins in skin tissue operate similarly to synthetic elastic, in durability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 01:17 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,493,911 times
It really does depend partially on genetics, and partially on the rate of weight gain. I actually got stretch marks on my breasts from the rapid overnight growth up two cup sizes LOL I also got various stretch marks on my belly from 2 of my 3 pregnancies. I guess my belly grew in a few different ways each time. Now that I lost some weight, they look a little like that picture, but not nearly that excessive.

What type of experience did your mom or sister have? That might give some indication (but not for sure) of what your experience might be like.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:28 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,299,354 times
I have two very young kids, and I don't have a single stretch mark. I don't have any loose skin. My stomach is flat, toned, and no issues. I think I may have gotten lucky with my genetics, but I was also careful to drink a TON of water while pregnant, eat healthy, and exercise through the entire pregnancy. I did not wash my stomach with soap (I thought it would wipe away natural oils), and I used bio-oil throughout. I could wear a bikini very quickly after giving birth.

You'll notice that some women end up with stomachs like in the picture you posted, and some will look like Paige Butcher holding her young infant in this picture, Paige Butcher joins Eddie Murphy's family in Hawaii* | Daily Mail Online.

No way to know in advance what will happen to you.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,396,579 times
It's luck of the draw.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:51 PM

491 posts, read 471,049 times
I'm a man and have stretch marks everywhere from eating a lot and having food babies. I'm not really fat, it just happens when I eat a lot and then the belly shrinks. I don't really care. Seriously, I think it's genetics. Some people just don't get as many stretch marks. Don't worry about it.

Besides don't you like to eat a lot? I think it's worth to down 5 plates at the buffet table and get big stretch marks. I mean, it's not that bad of a trade-off. I say just enjoy the baby and food and stop worrying about how the body looks.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:35 PM

5,128 posts, read 4,463,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's luck of the draw.
^^^^ This.

I have them. No bikinis for me. Oh well.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:18 PM

15,207 posts, read 10,229,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I haven't had a kid, so I wondered if this is common? If so, do you have any issues over it?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSM0citAmiK/

Wow! Those are some serious stretch marks. I wonder if she had multiples. I slathered my abdomen with lotion when I was pregnant with my first and wound up with stretch marks on my hips and flank. With my second I had a few on my abdomen but not many.

Losing or gaining weight can also give people stretch marks.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:47 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,434,337 times
No, I don't have them. And I gave 2 births at around 40. It depends.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:56 PM

200 posts, read 174,182 times
The photo is not of stretch marks. It is crepey skin to an extreme degree. Stretch marks are red lines that fade to pearly-white over the course of a few years. And yes, both crepey skin and stretch marks happen to obese people who lose a lot of weight, which is why many of them have skin-tightening plastic surgery. Sadly, there's nothing to be done with stretch marks. It is genetic, all the creams in the world won't prevent them.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:10 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,439,332 times
The comment next to that picture is so pretentious. I understand the sentiment that you shouldn't be ashamed of your body but the way he puts it is honestly cringe worthy, condescending even

Quote:

A life grew inside of you that gives humanity hope of change. You felt things that I as a man will never understand. Even when you first held your baby girl or boy it was nothing similar to when they lay in their father's hands .... you gave so much of yourself to help all of us. A sacrifice of sorts if you choose to see it that way ...

Last edited by Shalop; 04-09-2017 at 03:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty