U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 06:44 AM

1,087 posts, read 436,527 times

Advertisements

Don't go. Stay home and wear a ratty old band or comic character T-shirt, pants optional. Turn up your favourite songs, eat corn chips, scratch your nuts and burp the alphabet. I guarantee you'll have a better time than anyone at the wedding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 11:17 AM

711 posts, read 389,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Wearing the suit/shoes onto the plane doesn't address the situation as I have zero desire to spend 3 weeks walking 8~10 miles a day in my dress shoes. They look nice, are comfortable enough for a mile or two, but not more. Plus, I'd destroy them by not being able to air them out between wearing (takes a day) and I have no desire to do that. All that means needing a second pair of shoes, and NO, buying a pair on the ground is not a solution ~ I've no desire to break in shoes on a vacation.

As for the couple/wedding... this is just the party, they're already legal. My wife and I will be 2 of Maybe 3 on the grooms side of the family (beyond his parents and siblings), I'm thinking the bride will have more. We're pretty good friends and see each other every month or two already, and they know we're using them as an excuse for a vacation.

If Plan A is renting, that's actually the most work/stress of all the options IMHO. If you mean buying the clothes I'd like to own anyway, well then... I'll get right on that.
Sorry, I should have been more specific IMO Plan A is the slacks and jacket you pictured, plan B is shipping to/from. I'd say that renting would be Plan F. Seriously I agree with you - it sounds like it would be tricky and far more complicated than it's worth.

The more you've said about the party, the more I think the clothes you've pictured would be great.

BTW - what's your wife wearing and what's her opinion on all this?

Old 04-13-2017, 11:51 AM

4,433 posts, read 1,511,807 times
Just for the heck of it, I googled "images of semi-formal attire". The images really ran the gamut. Seems like, the basic idea is dressing up a little, and not wearing jeans.

For what it's worth, I think the look you're going for will be fine.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:42 PM

4,294 posts, read 6,422,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
BTW - what's your wife wearing and what's her opinion on all this?
She doesn't have a plan yet for wardrobe.... Her opinion is fairly relaxed, she likes the idea of a blazer/sport coat and slacks.

We're actually Both working on this from an odd direction, the shoes. She's wearing her dedicated "walking" shoes and packing some dainty sandals... of course her feet are tiny compared to mine, just as she is tiny compared to me (I'm 6'4" and 230#'s, she's 5'4" and in the 120# range), so she has more packing room. I think she will do one of 2 things, find a dress she wants me to sew up for her or find a ready-to-wear dress that compliments/coordinates with whatever I find.

When we first got the "semi-formal" announcement, I started with google too. I was focused more on text than photos, and from places like the Knot and other wedding-centric sources. Looked like "suit" was the go-to standard for semiformal, there was a Beach Casual that was slightly less formal with linen slacks and button down shirts and then Casual which was slacks and a collared shirt (always a dress for girls). I'd normally wear a suit for semi-formal...

I was married in a bathing suit and aloha shirt, wife in a bathing suit and sarong, so our standards are a little wonky.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:07 PM

15,768 posts, read 13,205,091 times
My cousin had an afternoon, outdoor wedding in Naples about 6 yrs ago. What you pictured was what made it very clear whose side of the family was American and whose was European. The European men were wearing suits. American men sports coats.

If you are going to be the only other Americans you are going to stand out in a bad way.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:54 PM

8,140 posts, read 12,532,442 times
You may want to consider even doing laundry while you're away... then you can essentially pack for a shorter amount of time and can fit more of the essential stuff in your bag. Just wash it & you can wear it again.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:29 AM

11,086 posts, read 9,024,612 times
That's a fine look OP. Have yourself well groomed, smell nice, and wear that outfit and no one will be talking about your outfit negatively that day.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:32 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,629,055 times
That's way too casual for a wedding. Especially, remember that "semi-formal", strictly speaking, means black tie.

Talk to the cousin and find out what they have in mind for dress, wear something great that meets the standard, and ship it home.

Three weeks may be too long to travel with a single suitcase, unless it's a big one.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:45 AM

304 posts, read 179,911 times
OP maybe you can rethink the idea of dress shoes for a more casual loafers since the shoes is what started the whole issue. Loafers can be worn at the wedding and do a double duty for the rest of the trip, as they can be worn virtually with anything slaks, shorts, jeans.... add no socks to it and that's very Italian lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Fashion advice for a guy (wedding)-screenshot_2017-05-20-08-32-47   Fashion advice for a guy (wedding)-screenshot_2017-05-20-08-33-04  

Old 05-20-2017, 09:03 AM

304 posts, read 179,911 times
Honestly you don't want to rely on finding a suit there it's too much stress and I'll fitting suit will not be improved by wearing your nice dress shoes which might ruin you first part of trip dealing with it.
Rethink your shoes find some that will doe double duty for the rest of your trip loafers, moccasins even sneakers which if done right will look very stylish.
Black will probably be better than white in the pictures .
Attached Thumbnails
Fashion advice for a guy (wedding)-20170520_085634.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or