U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 02:15 PM

4,300 posts, read 6,434,494 times

Advertisements

Wondering if you folks might have an opinion on this...

I'm attending a cousins wedding this Sept in Italy. After 5 days in Italy, my wife and I are headed to Scotland for an additional 2 weeks (a long postponed destination we've wanted to visit, the wedding is just a fun excuse to hop the pond). We are one-bag travelers and I *really* don't want to wear my dress shoes for the whole trip.

Yes, this is circuitous, sorry...

So, I'm thinking about 2 options. Renting a suit in Italy (really would rather not do this) or maybe being a Little more casual than I'd normally be. This is a September wedding, outside, in Italy with a "Semi-formal" label for a couple in their late 20's... and I'm thinking about a brown blazer/sport coat over a "fun" (bold colors, some sort of pattern) shirt, with slacks and my favorite travel shoes. Something Very like this, only a more playful shirt:

Too casual? Does it matter that I'm a much more "rugged" looking guy?

Just trying to figure out a more travel-friendly scenario... it's rough enough for domestic travel when I'm dragging around my size 13 dress shoes and suit and not tacking on 2 more weeks of travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 04:30 PM

281 posts, read 944,937 times
Dude, that is a solid look and you should absolutely go with that option. I'd say be careful with the playfulness of the shirt, if only because you might call more attention to being dressed down a bit, but otherwise I'd give this a full 'go'. Two years ago I attended a wedding and only as I was getting dressed did I realize that I left my entire garment bag at home. While everyone was in suits, I wore dressy jeans, a nice long-sleeve shirt, and leather boots. I was a bit self-conscious but quickly realized that absolutely no one at the wedding gave two sh*ts what a cousin of the bride was wearing.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:51 PM

4,244 posts, read 3,041,469 times
It's too casual for a wedding. The brown makes it especially too casual. Grays and blues would be dressier and more appropriate.

I think you should rent a suit when you get to Italy since you a one-bagger. But surely you can carry your dress shoes in your one bag...? Take a bag that's large enough to hold your dress shoes and all your other gear.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Lol... I don't think you understand the size of a pair of mens 13 dress shoes. They would Easily take up 1/3rd of my available space (one bag travel would be one legal/allowed carry-on, not one checked monstrosity), even after accounting for what I could fit inside them. It also breaks every rule of travel for me, having to haul around something that will be used one day for about 5 hours, out of a ~3 week long trip. If you've not done one-bag travel before, it's completely different...

The big issue with suit rental is finding one and logistics of pick-up when we will be without a car, we will completely ignore the fact that my Italian is.. er, limited. Plus, it's a rental, it's simply not going to look as good as something I can buy now and have tailored to fit properly. Last item is that if I must spend money, I'd rather spend it on myself. Rentals are pure waste in my mind, good for kids who grow fast and don't need something frequently but a poor fiscal move for an adult who hasn't changed clothing sizes in 2 decades and can afford better quality items.

But, I'll look at other color options. I'm mostly trying to make my favorite travel shoes, which are brown, work well without going into overtly dark tones.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 PM

8,103 posts, read 3,932,584 times
If it's an outdoor wedding in the late summer (check the local temps for that time of year), it's perfectly acceptable

Old 04-11-2017, 08:55 PM

711 posts, read 390,379 times
I think it's good looking attire and think it would be fine. I'm guessing that there may be a lot of people traveling from outside Italy so you're likely to see a wide variety of interpretations of "semi-formal".

That said, have you looked in to the possiblity of shipping a suit and dress shoes there and shipping them home after the wedding? Might be comparable to the cost of rental.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 AM

I'd thought about shipping just yesterday but haven't looked into it any further.

And absolutely everyone is traveling to get to this wedding.... that's not something I had thought about. Not one person is in/from Italy.

As for local temps, looks like highs around 77 and lows at 66 with low humidity. Evening wedding so it'll be somewhere between those temps. If it were to be warmer, I'd look for a more "summer suit" style.... and if I weren't off to highs in the 60's Scotland directly afterwards.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:41 PM

9,147 posts, read 3,746,333 times
most dont expect guys to dress that well for fashion, cut hair, shower, tuck in a shirt without holes or stains, and it works for the most part

the packing part is easy, wear it onto the plane, if people give you compliments then you look good enough for the wedding

Old 04-12-2017, 12:56 PM

711 posts, read 390,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I'd thought about shipping just yesterday but haven't looked into it any further.

And absolutely everyone is traveling to get to this wedding.... that's not something I had thought about. Not one person is in/from Italy.

As for local temps, looks like highs around 77 and lows at 66 with low humidity. Evening wedding so it'll be somewhere between those temps. If it were to be warmer, I'd look for a more "summer suit" style.... and if I weren't off to highs in the 60's Scotland directly afterwards.
I'd relax and go with plan A - unless shipping the suit and dress shoes really appeals to you and works out financially and logistically.

I'm guessing the happy couple will be thrilled to have friends join them and won't really care what anyone is wearing. Besides, the entire focus should be on the wedding couple anyway!

Enjoy your trip!

Old 04-13-2017, 06:28 AM

Wearing the suit/shoes onto the plane doesn't address the situation as I have zero desire to spend 3 weeks walking 8~10 miles a day in my dress shoes. They look nice, are comfortable enough for a mile or two, but not more. Plus, I'd destroy them by not being able to air them out between wearing (takes a day) and I have no desire to do that. All that means needing a second pair of shoes, and NO, buying a pair on the ground is not a solution ~ I've no desire to break in shoes on a vacation.

As for the couple/wedding... this is just the party, they're already legal. My wife and I will be 2 of Maybe 3 on the grooms side of the family (beyond his parents and siblings), I'm thinking the bride will have more. We're pretty good friends and see each other every month or two already, and they know we're using them as an excuse for a vacation.

If Plan A is renting, that's actually the most work/stress of all the options IMHO. If you mean buying the clothes I'd like to own anyway, well then... I'll get right on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or