U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 09:44 AM

14,505 posts, read 11,481,746 times

Advertisements

Im finding it harder to find a foundation blusher, etc that I can wear without adverse effects.. for years Ive thought companies like Almay cared about these things and the damage to health from makeup.. not so... Ive looked up some that seem reputable, Christopher Drummond and Sarah Wilson.. does anyone know anything about these manufacturers as I dont want to end up spending money on them to try that I cant afford.. Id be glad of any help... This is lipsticks from very famous companies and what a let down.. and to think Ive used some of these daily..

Just some of the junk you may be using..
Cover Girl
Revlon
Body Shop
L’Oreal
Maybelline
Clinique
Estee lauder
Burts Bees (*cry*)
PeaceKeeper
Christian Dior
M.A.C.
Avon
NARS
Stargazer
Sonia Kashuk (of Target fame)
Fashion Fair
Lancome
Almay
Mary Kay
Jafra
Prescriptives
Rimmel London
Clarins
Benefit
Gabriel
Colorganics ( claimed to be an “Organic / hemp” line)
Origins (Estee Lauders “organic & natural” line. Their deceptive moto “Powered by Nature Proven by Science”)
Elizabeth Arden
Victorias Secret
Chanel
Iman
Bobbi Brown
Wet ‘N’ Wild
Shiseido
Lori Anne
Has your jaw returned from the floor yet? A number of these brands I KNOW I own or have used. Now this is the COMPLETE list of brands for lipstick as updated on Feb 15, 2012 according to the FDA’s website. Yet, there are still offenders across the board with mascara, powers, creams, body washes you name it. However don’t let them fool you if they say well its an “Acceptable” level of lead – there is never NEVER NEVER EVER an acceptable amount of lead EVER! Lead is something that should never even in the smallest amounts be near you let alone on your mouth, being ingested by you. There is a reason that lead paint was banned in 1978 and that was just on the walls, think of what its doing in your system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 11:36 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Per many of your posts, you seem to have a lot of personal conditional requirements about lots of common ingredients, and chemical sensitivities not shared by the majority of consumers.

It seems that, due to your many sensitivities, commercial cosmetics may simply not be appropriate for you. For most people, they are used without adverse reactions.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:47 PM

7,966 posts, read 3,869,017 times
Yep. No adverse reactions here. I've used many on the list, and will continue to do so.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:25 PM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Im finding it harder to find a foundation blusher, etc that I can wear without adverse effects.. for years Ive thought companies like Almay cared about these things and the damage to health from makeup.. not so... Ive looked up some that seem reputable, Christopher Drummond and Sarah Wilson.. does anyone know anything about these manufacturers as I dont want to end up spending money on them to try that I cant afford.. Id be glad of any help... This is lipsticks from very famous companies and what a let down.. and to think Ive used some of these daily..

Just some of the junk you may be using..
Cover Girl
Revlon
Body Shop
L’Oreal
Maybelline
Clinique
Estee lauder
Burts Bees (*cry*)
PeaceKeeper
Christian Dior
M.A.C.
Avon
NARS
Stargazer
Sonia Kashuk (of Target fame)
Fashion Fair
Lancome
Almay
Mary Kay
Jafra
Prescriptives
Rimmel London
Clarins
Benefit
Gabriel
Colorganics ( claimed to be an “Organic / hemp” line)
Origins (Estee Lauders “organic & natural” line. Their deceptive moto “Powered by Nature Proven by Science”)
Elizabeth Arden
Victorias Secret
Chanel
Iman
Bobbi Brown
Wet ‘N’ Wild
Shiseido
Lori Anne
Has your jaw returned from the floor yet? A number of these brands I KNOW I own or have used. Now this is the COMPLETE list of brands for lipstick as updated on Feb 15, 2012 according to the FDA’s website. Yet, there are still offenders across the board with mascara, powers, creams, body washes you name it. However don’t let them fool you if they say well its an “Acceptable” level of lead – there is never NEVER NEVER EVER an acceptable amount of lead EVER! Lead is something that should never even in the smallest amounts be near you let alone on your mouth, being ingested by you. There is a reason that lead paint was banned in 1978 and that was just on the walls, think of what its doing in your system.
Lipstick is one of those products....a lot of pigments that produce colors contain lead. But far less than the 60's. You might want to look at the smaller home based products through etsy.

If you want to avoid every contaminant, you have avoid cosmetics entirely...

Old 04-12-2017, 06:09 PM

14,649 posts, read 29,692,844 times
I am pretty sensitive when it comes to cosmetics and personal products, and I have no problems with L'Oreal mineral powder, Rimmel eye pencils and mascara, and Pixi blush.

I use these items very sparingly and not every day. I have no problems.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:30 PM

21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Fresh is known for using natural ingredients: http://www.fresh.com/UK/home (link is to the UK site since OP is in the UK)

Otherwise I'd second the suggestion to find small organic companies online or at farmer's markets.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:23 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,737,265 times
smaller, indie companies tend to stay truer to their "organic" principle, as is the case for a lot of companies that i see on leaping bunnies' list. not all, but a lot. but just in case, you may also refer to EWG

but be careful. some members here think you have an agendum to push when coming up with posts similar to yours

Old 04-12-2017, 10:53 PM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
smaller, indie companies tend to stay truer to their "organic" principle, as is the case for a lot of companies that i see on leaping bunnies' list. not all, but a lot. but just in case, you may also refer to EWG

but be careful. some members here think you have an agendum to push when coming up with posts similar to yours
I'm trying to go cruelty free...in some things it's easy. I didn't know I was already there. My shampoo and some body lotions are cruelty free.

But there are things that are issues. Like mascara. I've tried a few and they are really very underwhelming. And soap. My skin is very reactive and sensitive and I need a very very moisturizing body soap... and my favorite Olay.... well when that's gone, I'm not sure where I'll turn. I'm trying Kiss My Face, but it's not only strips my skin, it doesn't feel like it's cleaning all that well.

And body washes are too detergenty... and dry me out.

One thing at a time.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:46 PM

2,635 posts, read 907,886 times
The Environmental Working Group provides information on the least and most toxic cosmetics:

Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database | EWG

And on other issues:

Consumer Guides | EWG

Old 04-13-2017, 01:21 AM

4,810 posts, read 5,436,611 times
I'm using Maybelline Liquid Mousse Foundation and it has a very high rating for purity.

I'd like to use all cruelty-free cosmetics also, but it's been a challenge when it comes to some products. I'll keep trying to figure it out though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or