U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 05:51 PM

1,139 posts, read 670,973 times

Advertisements

Uh... It seems high end styles are UGLY! I guess I have some conservative sense of fashion, and I'm not into the latest trend if they are not "classic" looking enough for me. But the problem with fashion is, yeah, it's gotta change... Because always having the same kinda stuff = no sales. Just like men's clothes has been very similar for years... Hence men's clothes sell less are are a small part of a Dept store. But women need to attract men and clothes change a lot. But they come in and out of styles. Like flare dresses existed for women back around 1995. Now there are some flare dresses too lately that are being sold.

What's your take on magazine fashion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 12:24 AM

4,083 posts, read 5,498,726 times
Well, for starters, I think models ceased being "pretty" back in the 90's. In the olden days, we had gorgeous models like Cheryl Tiegs, Beverly Johnson, Jean Shrimpton, etc. Somehow in the 90's, that all changed and the models were downright awful. I remember being horrified when I looked at the fashion magazines. That pretty much goes for the fashions too. Things have somewhat improved since the "heroin-chic" days, but the runway models in the shows are still made to look as bland as possible.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:17 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times
I'm not sure who those magazines are for. The fashion and runway models are rarely very pretty and often times look like sticks. I imagine it is because they are showcasing the clothes...but who has bodies like that?

As for the clothes...I never see people wearing anything that looks even slightly like what is in fashion magazines...or fashion shows.

The whole fashion industry seems to be another planet from anything I see in real life.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:40 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,112,182 times
It seems that fashion magazines are all about showcasing the "art" of various designers, rather than giving real people ideas about clothing styles.

I stopped buying the magazines years ago. I buy some of my clothing online though, and enjoy browsing through catalogs, which usually have things that I like and can afford to buy. So clothing catalogs have become a substitute for fashion magazines, and they're free.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
You know, if I could lose this this weight, I'd probably ditch the stores and head to Goodwill or other thrift stores. I don't think what's in fashion matters as much as how good you look in it. I'd go for some of this cute little outfits that work no matter the decade.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:16 AM

7,968 posts, read 3,869,017 times
Fashion as art. Some people have an appreciation for it, others don't. Just like any other of the arts. Plenty of people don't appreciate ballet or opera, but that doesn't delegitimize them as art forms.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:57 PM

1,139 posts, read 670,973 times
Yeah, that's right... Fashion magazine's fashions are not common everyday men's / women's fashion. If I saw a person with exotic high end fashion that looks ugly or dorky, I might not suppress a laugh... You know, I actually did laugh at Cindy Crawford back around 1993 or so when I saw her walk in Harlem Irving Plaza Mall. - She was wearing some dorky eyeglasses to disguise her, or maybe she was styling it, but she couldn't take my slight laugh and took off her sunglasses. Then I said to myself, "OMG!"

Old 04-19-2017, 07:28 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,356,692 times
I like them. Personally if it is going to hit the cover of a magazine I want to see something artistic and different not some girl next door look weight jeans and a t-shirt from the gap. Though some fashion magazine do that ... which I think it pretty pathetic. I want to see something visually interesting. Even if you can't pull of the full look, it can inspire your look. You don't have to copy the look exactly. It is to inspire fashion sense.

Fashion is art. How someone values and ranks art depends on taste.
People have different fashion senses and taste. No all magazines cater to all people and fashion senses. There are also so many so it is pretty hard to believe you have looked at every possible magazine out there and are lumping them in all together.

For example In Style Magazine in my opinion has extremely bland covers that are not creative. A celebrity wearing less then interesting clothes in most cases. Big deal. I usually see more interesting fashion walking around in my city. Magazines like Bazar and Vogue in my opinion but far more effort in to creating a eye catching cover. Then again Rolling Stone is not a Fashion Magazine, but photos are covers have a strong fashion inspiring element.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty