Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
They haven't really hurt my nail but mine are super strong. I just feel like they need a break from constant gel polish and removal with acetone.

Enjoy your French manicure! You might get another 15 days out of it.
Thanks. I was just reading tips on removing gel polish at home. This article said be sure to remove it by the 14-day mark, because it becomes more and more difficult to remove after that.

Anyone know if there is truth to that? I hate to remove it today when my nails still look so pretty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 09:47 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I had my first gel manicure a couple weeks ago, as part of a "girls' day out" prior to my son's wedding. Now, 15 days later, this French manicure still looks gorgeous!

I'm not loving what I'm reading here, though, about how bad gel is for the nails. I didn't even realize when I got this gel mani done, that it would take any special effort to remove it. Guess I'll pick up some acetone at the store and try the foil method, whenever it starts to look bad. But so far...wow!! Lovely!

You can use the foil or soak your nails in a small bowl. They both work and one is not better than the other. You nail is exposed to the acetone either way. Just make sure you file off the top coat so that the polish is easy to remove.

What ruins nails at most chop shop nail salons-As I like to call them, is that drill.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:22 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
I have had gel manicures twice; I love the way they last but not the fact that it makes you a slave to the salon, becuase they are so hard to remove. The second time I did remove it myself using foil, and it had been on my nails for about a month. It wasn't easy but it is definitely doable at home.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:53 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
That's exactly what I do too. I also take Biotin in addition to a Vit B tab daily, and it's made both my nails and hair a lot stronger.
Great suggestion as vitamins and the Biotin are promoters for healthy nails. Sadly I tried the Biotin and within six weeks I had a skin breakout ...The VitB though I can take.
Glad you follow the nail regime

Old 04-21-2017, 05:56 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
I think where people end up damaging their nails is when they start peeling off the gel. It's time consuming to soak them off, but it does save the nail. Be sure to use a good cuticle oil to counter the drying acetone.

I also use cuticle oil a couple of times a day. It helps keep the manicure looking fresh.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:25 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Great suggestion as vitamins and the Biotin are promoters for healthy nails. Sadly I tried the Biotin and within six weeks I had a skin breakout ...The VitB though I can take.
Glad you follow the nail regime
I don't know what strength you took. There are various strengths of Biotin. Start with the lowest and see if you get any improvement, unless it is the lowest strength that caused the break-out.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:22 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
It's only time-consuming to remove if you don't file away the top coat/layer. Once I file that off and soak my nails it comes off pretty easily. I stopped getting the gel mani's though because they never really last 2 weeks on me. I get about a week out of them and then they start chipping. They are great for special occasions, vacays, etc.. but I'm not spending $80/month on my nails.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:40 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
It takes so long to soak the gels off with acetone, I had to keep at it for two evenings. Never again. My nails haven't ever been very strong and this took three months to get back to normal. Last week I tried the Sally Hanson gel coat. It lasted less than a week. It was pretty hard to get off the clear top coat, had to let it soak with a tissue, but nothing like what the salon did to me.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:42 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
my gels last three weeks but i wish i could do them at home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty