U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM

5,809 posts, read 3,295,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
The salon I've gone to for years is now mostly doing gel nails. The last time I went they really persuaded me to do gels saying they never do anything else anymore. I wouldn't let my daughter get them but I buckled, got them and it was awful and ruined my nails. They had an attitude about not doing gels. Are most places focusing only on gel nail manicures now?

No. I tried it once and like you, hated what happened to my nails. Never again for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 01:24 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,265,062 times
Never again, I them done for a short time a few years ago, I also had a home kit; they ruined my nails. Getting the gel off with acetone does work, but, it still wrecks havoc on your nails over the long haul, at least in my case.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:26 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,812,423 times
I've been getting gels for years, my poor nails. however, the regular polish doesn't last on me.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,279,188 times
https://www.diygelnailkits.com/sns-nails/

Sns. More expensive than gel...everyone seems to be pushing this now.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,265,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
https://www.diygelnailkits.com/sns-nails/

Sns. More expensive than gel...everyone seems to be pushing this now.
I'm always up for trying something new, but sounds like by the time I finished this article, in the long run the sns isn't any better than gel or regular acrylics, I say regular acrylic as it appears they use acrylic powder in the process. It's no more healthier for the nail bed, just more expensive. Oh well, I was hoping.

sns nails| the pros and cons - Unlikely MarthaUnlikely Martha

Today I thought it would be fun to do a little beauty review on a new nail service I tried recently: the Signature Nail Systems (SNS) manicure. I donít typically get my nails done, but treated myself to this service while visiting family in VA because I thought it would be a fun experience to share here with you!

The removal process similar to the other nail processes, that alone is harsh on the nails

Beauty Review: Signature Nail Systems (SNS) Manicure

Article from above link:

What is SNS?

Signature Nail Service is a type of manicure that involves repeated dipping of your nails into a colored powder that hardens into a matte finish on your nail. Itís fairly new to the nail salon world and is currently only available in a limited number of salons. It does not require a primer or UV light, and is a healthier alternative to shellac or gel manicures.
  • It requires removal from a professional. You need an acetone soak to safely remove the polish without doing damage to your nail. This can be done at home by placing cotton pieces soaked in acetone on the top of your nail and covering the nail with foil to hold the cotton in place. However, I have not tried removing it myself yet so I canít really speak to the process.

Dip Powder Nails: All About the Manicure That Lasts Longer Than Gels | Glamour

Old 04-20-2017, 04:01 PM

18,846 posts, read 12,465,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Agreed. I have always managed to remove gel polish at home, have never had it removed by the salon.
I managed to remove gel polish the one and only time I had it put on my nails. It was hard to do, and I vowed never to have it done again. I have had a simple mani done rarely. My nails are soft and fragile, and I don't like to have them messed with. I am not interested in paying for a good mani multiple times a year.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:15 PM

1,287 posts, read 989,326 times
My experience has been that gel will weaken your nails if you get them done regularly. I found a product called Starting Over that restored my nails remarkably. It can be purchased from Sally's. Ask your nail tech to apply this before applying artificial and/or gel and your nails will be protected.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:22 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,443,204 times
You do realize these procedures are pretty bad for ya? Not to mention the occupational hazards for the people working there (various cancers, miscarriages, respiratory illnesses, etc.). These cosmetic procedures destroy your natural nails. The risk for contracting some nasty nail fungus is high (or worse---I knew someone who had to get her finger amputated for a seroius bacterial infection in her fingernail that turned into rampant gangrene). It baffles me that people still take these risks at nail salons.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:23 PM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
I don't care for the gel nail polish. I found it looks too thick and I don't like having to soak my fingers in acetone.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:24 PM

27,237 posts, read 15,024,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Yes they and several customers present at the time said that gels last longer. But they didn't. They chipped a week later, and it's very evident when they chip. I should have gone back but with the attitude they had I won't ever go back there again. So I just kept filing my nails shorter and shorter whenever they cracked. Than to have to go back and get it removed, what a time waster unless you are getting nails done again.
I agree - they REALLY push the gel polish. I've been trying to get my gel off for months and just have a regular, clear mani and they keep convincing me to get gel. I'm going to stand firm this time!

I will say I LOVE gel polish. I can get 30 days out of a gel manicure.

But I do feel like your nails need a break from it and summer is that time for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty