U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 11:05 PM

113 posts, read 161,492 times

Advertisements

In the interest of trying to learn, I hope some people might weigh in on this issue.

The two pairs of dress pants I have loved the most have been from Theory. They were expensive, but I liked the style, feel, and fit more than any other pairs at Macy's and Bloomingdale's, the two places where I got them. The first pair got frayed/worn within about a year, though I was wearing and washing it a lot at one point. It may have been the same material as my more recent pair, which says on the tag "Shell: 97% virgin wool/3% lycra). This most recent pair had some little holes in the right thigh area within about eight months, though I had left it in a closet for three months when forced to quickly leave a country for work reasons and never really learned why that happened. The fabric in the belt area going over a clasp also got frayed over time, though, and that could be the result of my current country of residence's practice of dry cleaning everything "at full blast/strength" (I am told).

Other dress pants I have had don't wear out as quickly or get frayed, so I wonder: what are your experiences with Theory? Are their clothes less durable than others? Is virgin wool perhaps more delicate/likely to have problems than other fabric?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 12:16 PM

91 posts, read 33,233 times
I have a few pairs of theory dress pants. I found them fit much better than any other brand as well. The pair I have the longest is 3 years old -- 99% wool 1% Lycra. It just started to fray a little bit on the corners of the back pockets a couple months ago (no holes though) -- probably too much sitting. A couple of polyester-cotton pants I got around the same time looks brand new except some threads coming loose on the seams.

Generally, I think wool and Spandex/Lycra blend is more delicate than cotton though they feel a lot softer -- complete 100% virgin wool seems to be pretty solid to me too. But I don't think any good quality pants should fray in less than a year no matter the blend. I have not gotten any new theory pants recently, so I'm not sure if the quality has dropped or not. I don't dry clean them much and I wash them in the washer by hand.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 12,465,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creo View Post
In the interest of trying to learn, I hope some people might weigh in on this issue.

The two pairs of dress pants I have loved the most have been from Theory. They were expensive, but I liked the style, feel, and fit more than any other pairs at Macy's and Bloomingdale's, the two places where I got them. The first pair got frayed/worn within about a year, though I was wearing and washing it a lot at one point. It may have been the same material as my more recent pair, which says on the tag "Shell: 97% virgin wool/3% lycra). This most recent pair had some little holes in the right thigh area within about eight months, though I had left it in a closet for three months when forced to quickly leave a country for work reasons and never really learned why that happened. The fabric in the belt area going over a clasp also got frayed over time, though, and that could be the result of my current country of residence's practice of dry cleaning everything "at full blast/strength" (I am told).

Other dress pants I have had don't wear out as quickly or get frayed, so I wonder: what are your experiences with Theory? Are their clothes less durable than others? Is virgin wool perhaps more delicate/likely to have problems than other fabric?

Thanks for any thoughts.
I am not familiar with the brand Theory. But I know from experience that wool pants can show wear. If you were washing your pants frequently, I have to wonder why, if they were wool. When I wash wool, I take special care to wash on the hand wash cycle, in cool water, and I would air dry them. On the small holes, I imagine they are moth holes, especially if you left them hanging in the closet during warmer months.

Back in the 1990s, I favored wool flannel trousers. I did feel that wool flannel did not wear super well. A longer wearing wool is twill, but I can't imagine you can find many pairs of women's slacks made of it.

If fabric in the belt area is the only part showing wear, then I think you have to blame the added stress on the waistband.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:15 PM

113 posts, read 161,492 times
Thanks for sharing some thoughts.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:51 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,111,724 times
My impression of Theory, which is why I've never bought it, is it's low-quality. Tight-fitting also. Also, I think washable wool is cheap wool by definition. For those reasons, don't expect many years of use from those pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or