U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM
 
Location: 🇬🇧 In jolly old London! 🇬🇧
15,672 posts, read 7,694,087 times
Reputation: 12385

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
After reading this thread I did some internet searches. I honestly never realized this was such a big deal for men. Lots of celebrities do this hair transplants too. Sorry men out this ... I got my own hair. Not really liking or disliking your look based on how much fuzz you got on top of your head !

Don't ever recall saying wow look at the hair on that guy lol ( until he had some crazy hair ex a Mohawk or hair that side show bob).

Could just buy a nice hat ! Oh my god... no wonder hats for men are so popular. Got to wonder what all these men are hiding under those baseball caps !
I'll shave it tmrw thank you for your blessings my love

And wear a hat..... " During "?

. 💋 😂😂😂😂😂
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2017, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Wyoming
9,166 posts, read 16,519,971 times
Reputation: 13359
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
...
Could just buy a nice hat ! Oh my god... no wonder hats for men are so popular. Got to wonder what all these men are hiding under those baseball caps !
I'm basically bald, and I wear a hat much more often than I used to, not to hide my bald spot but to protect my noggin from the cold and sun. Hair is a natural and perfect protector from the sun and cold. Without it or a hat I'd get some bad sunburns. I try to go without hat sometimes, just so I get a little tan up there, but my doctor says WEAR A HAT! (I've had a lot of skin cancer, mostly on my head and face.)

My late father-in-law was bald and wore a rug, a hat or nothing on top. It depended. He usually wore a hat to work but a toupee socially. At home (in the house) he was often bald. Might be that he got the rug at his wife's urging. Expensive, but it looked pretty good on him -- not too noticeable. He just knew, like I do, that he had to wear something on his head or it would burn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2017, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Toronto
6,754 posts, read 3,356,692 times
Reputation: 4619
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm basically bald, and I wear a hat much more often than I used to, not to hide my bald spot but to protect my noggin from the cold and sun. Hair is a natural and perfect protector from the sun and cold. Without it or a hat I'd get some bad sunburns. I try to go without hat sometimes, just so I get a little tan up there, but my doctor says WEAR A HAT! (I've had a lot of skin cancer, mostly on my head and face.)

My late father-in-law was bald and wore a rug, a hat or nothing on top. It depended. He usually wore a hat to work but a toupee socially. At home (in the house) he was often bald. Might be that he got the rug at his wife's urging. Expensive, but it looked pretty good on him -- not too noticeable. He just knew, like I do, that he had to wear something on his head or it would burn.
The sun protection part makes sense. A lot of sense actually. Good facts to share. If my husband lost his hair it would not change my attraction to him at all. It is just hair. I did not get married to him because I liked his hair. If someone likes you less because you have thin hair or hair missing .... seems like the relationship is pretty trivial .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 12:42 AM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,156 posts, read 2,159,275 times
Reputation: 8086
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think most women wonder why they bother to do it. As a woman, you can't get away with being bald. But as a man, there are huge swathes of women who think that bald is sexy.
And it's certainly socially acceptable.

And the simple fact is every single rug looks totally fake. So we don't get why you bother doing it with it looks terrible and obvious.. Kind of the opposite of what you're trying to do.
There is nothing sexy (to me) about a man who spends time primping daily to shave off what hair he has left so that he has a bald pate.

There are lots of pictures of Hair Club, etc. online (mostly for men), and I don't know if any of those are toupees or wigs or weaves (or even microsurgery), but I always notice how much handsomer the men look with a fuller head of hair. Of course, all these are done well, no "bad toupees" that I can detect.

Only Yul Brynner (The King and I) looked handsome bald to me. He had a very nicely-shaped head, and it fit the main role of his career, so he looked exotic. Other than that, I don't find bald or balding men (with as little hair as Jason Alexander in Seinfeld, for example), attractive. Women often tell men (especially their own men) how sexy bald men look; however, whether they really mean it or not or have their fingers crossed behind their backs is another thing.

A fully bald-headed woman? That's likely a warrior battling cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
14,507 posts, read 11,481,746 times
Reputation: 21003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
There is nothing sexy (to me) about a man who spends time primping daily to shave off what hair he has left so that he has a bald pate.

There are lots of pictures of Hair Club, etc. online (mostly for men), and I don't know if any of those are toupees or wigs or weaves (or even microsurgery), but I always notice how much handsomer the men look with a fuller head of hair. Of course, all these are done well, no "bad toupees" that I can detect.

Only Yul Brynner (The King and I) looked handsome bald to me. He had a very nicely-shaped head, and it fit the main role of his career, so he looked exotic. Other than that, I don't find bald or balding men (with as little hair as Jason Alexander in Seinfeld, for example), attractive. Women often tell men (especially their own men) how sexy bald men look; however, whether they really mean it or not or have their fingers crossed behind their backs is another thing.

A fully bald-headed woman? That's likely a warrior battling cancer.
Billy Zane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 06:17 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,103 posts, read 3,923,269 times
Reputation: 18777
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Yes I realize this and it must be devastating for younger men or any men for that matter.. One of my sons also has his very short, but like yours he suits it.. as many men do...


What does that mean dizzy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville
2,659 posts, read 1,078,810 times
Reputation: 2664
Joe Pesci has a pretty good rug. That's the best and most real I've seen. Ted Danson had a good one, but his only covered one spot in the back of his head, if I recall correctly. That was back in the Cheers days when he was still pretty young. Might have a bigger one now that he's older, if more hair has receded.

I would just shave my head, but a wear when I could. Some dudes look good with a bald head and some look really goofy, like Billy Corgan. Might be the shape of his head. My dad lost his at a young age and always wore a hat after that. With the job he had, he never needed to take off his hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 07:33 AM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Reputation: 60110
I don't like them. They all look fake, although some are better than others. In 1993, I was in a position where I had to ask Ted Koppel to move because he was sitting on my coat. He is very short and I am very tall, so I got a good look at the top of his head. His wig was carefully placed and styled, but I could still tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 07:34 AM
 
Location: ATL & LA
927 posts, read 1,326,790 times
Reputation: 1394
Would rather a guy embrace his balding head and just shave it all off than wear a toupee or do a combover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 07:37 AM
 
3,454 posts, read 5,857,576 times
Reputation: 2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCT View Post
Do you think it is a turn off?
A shaved head is so much more sexy. Forget the rug, but shave off the rest of the hair so the bald spot does not stick out like a sore thumb. No comb overs either. Yuk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top