Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
After reading this thread I did some internet searches. I honestly never realized this was such a big deal for men. Lots of celebrities do this hair transplants too. Sorry men out this ... I got my own hair. Not really liking or disliking your look based on how much fuzz you got on top of your head !

Don't ever recall saying wow look at the hair on that guy lol ( until he had some crazy hair ex a Mohawk or hair that side show bob).

Could just buy a nice hat ! Oh my god... no wonder hats for men are so popular. Got to wonder what all these men are hiding under those baseball caps !
I'll shave it tmrw thank you for your blessings my love

And wear a hat..... " During "?

. 💋 😂😂😂😂😂
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 09:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Could just buy a nice hat ! Oh my god... no wonder hats for men are so popular. Got to wonder what all these men are hiding under those baseball caps !
I'm basically bald, and I wear a hat much more often than I used to, not to hide my bald spot but to protect my noggin from the cold and sun. Hair is a natural and perfect protector from the sun and cold. Without it or a hat I'd get some bad sunburns. I try to go without hat sometimes, just so I get a little tan up there, but my doctor says WEAR A HAT! (I've had a lot of skin cancer, mostly on my head and face.)

My late father-in-law was bald and wore a rug, a hat or nothing on top. It depended. He usually wore a hat to work but a toupee socially. At home (in the house) he was often bald. Might be that he got the rug at his wife's urging. Expensive, but it looked pretty good on him -- not too noticeable. He just knew, like I do, that he had to wear something on his head or it would burn.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:22 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm basically bald, and I wear a hat much more often than I used to, not to hide my bald spot but to protect my noggin from the cold and sun. Hair is a natural and perfect protector from the sun and cold. Without it or a hat I'd get some bad sunburns. I try to go without hat sometimes, just so I get a little tan up there, but my doctor says WEAR A HAT! (I've had a lot of skin cancer, mostly on my head and face.)

My late father-in-law was bald and wore a rug, a hat or nothing on top. It depended. He usually wore a hat to work but a toupee socially. At home (in the house) he was often bald. Might be that he got the rug at his wife's urging. Expensive, but it looked pretty good on him -- not too noticeable. He just knew, like I do, that he had to wear something on his head or it would burn.
The sun protection part makes sense. A lot of sense actually. Good facts to share. If my husband lost his hair it would not change my attraction to him at all. It is just hair. I did not get married to him because I liked his hair. If someone likes you less because you have thin hair or hair missing .... seems like the relationship is pretty trivial .

Old 04-25-2017, 12:42 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think most women wonder why they bother to do it. As a woman, you can't get away with being bald. But as a man, there are huge swathes of women who think that bald is sexy.
And it's certainly socially acceptable.

And the simple fact is every single rug looks totally fake. So we don't get why you bother doing it with it looks terrible and obvious.. Kind of the opposite of what you're trying to do.
There is nothing sexy (to me) about a man who spends time primping daily to shave off what hair he has left so that he has a bald pate.

There are lots of pictures of Hair Club, etc. online (mostly for men), and I don't know if any of those are toupees or wigs or weaves (or even microsurgery), but I always notice how much handsomer the men look with a fuller head of hair. Of course, all these are done well, no "bad toupees" that I can detect.

Only Yul Brynner (The King and I) looked handsome bald to me. He had a very nicely-shaped head, and it fit the main role of his career, so he looked exotic. Other than that, I don't find bald or balding men (with as little hair as Jason Alexander in Seinfeld, for example), attractive. Women often tell men (especially their own men) how sexy bald men look; however, whether they really mean it or not or have their fingers crossed behind their backs is another thing.

A fully bald-headed woman? That's likely a warrior battling cancer.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:57 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
There is nothing sexy (to me) about a man who spends time primping daily to shave off what hair he has left so that he has a bald pate.

There are lots of pictures of Hair Club, etc. online (mostly for men), and I don't know if any of those are toupees or wigs or weaves (or even microsurgery), but I always notice how much handsomer the men look with a fuller head of hair. Of course, all these are done well, no "bad toupees" that I can detect.

Only Yul Brynner (The King and I) looked handsome bald to me. He had a very nicely-shaped head, and it fit the main role of his career, so he looked exotic. Other than that, I don't find bald or balding men (with as little hair as Jason Alexander in Seinfeld, for example), attractive. Women often tell men (especially their own men) how sexy bald men look; however, whether they really mean it or not or have their fingers crossed behind their backs is another thing.

A fully bald-headed woman? That's likely a warrior battling cancer.
Billy Zane?

Old 04-25-2017, 06:17 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Yes I realize this and it must be devastating for younger men or any men for that matter.. One of my sons also has his very short, but like yours he suits it.. as many men do...

What does that mean dizzy?

Old 04-25-2017, 06:27 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
Joe Pesci has a pretty good rug. That's the best and most real I've seen. Ted Danson had a good one, but his only covered one spot in the back of his head, if I recall correctly. That was back in the Cheers days when he was still pretty young. Might have a bigger one now that he's older, if more hair has receded.

I would just shave my head, but a wear when I could. Some dudes look good with a bald head and some look really goofy, like Billy Corgan. Might be the shape of his head. My dad lost his at a young age and always wore a hat after that. With the job he had, he never needed to take off his hat.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:33 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I don't like them. They all look fake, although some are better than others. In 1993, I was in a position where I had to ask Ted Koppel to move because he was sitting on my coat. He is very short and I am very tall, so I got a good look at the top of his head. His wig was carefully placed and styled, but I could still tell.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:34 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,317 times
Would rather a guy embrace his balding head and just shave it all off than wear a toupee or do a combover.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:37 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCT View Post
Do you think it is a turn off?
A shaved head is so much more sexy. Forget the rug, but shave off the rest of the hair so the bald spot does not stick out like a sore thumb. No comb overs either. Yuk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty