U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:54 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,316,772 times

Advertisements

And when I look around myself, I increasingly feel I am part of a minority.
I see more and more young people, especially men, that have tattoos all over their entire arms etc. I was watching an episode of one of those reality TV shows recently and there basically all men had lots of tattoos. I am aware that those shows do not perfectly reflect society, though.

Is the stigma that used to be attached to tattoos completely gone? I must admit that maybe due to my age I still find it kind of cheap and ugly. Not to mention silly due to the permanent nature of tattoos. I assume a lot of people still regret it later on.

Are they accepted in all jobs by now? I am not sure I would hire someone with visible tattoos or piercings if I were HR.

Are tattoos just a wave of fashion that will go away again within a few years?

Are they a regional or global phenomenon? Here in Portugal they are very popular, not sure about other countries.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:04 PM

10,862 posts, read 18,892,348 times
I always wanted one, but now my allergies are too bad to get one.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:06 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I see more and more young people, especially men, that have tattoos all over their entire arms etc. I was watching an episode of one of those reality TV shows recently and there basically all men had lots of tattoos. I am aware that those shows do not perfectly reflect society, though.

Is the stigma that used to be attached to tattoos completely gone? I must admit that maybe due to my age I still find it kind of cheap and ugly. Not to mention silly due to the permanent nature of tattoos. I assume a lot of people still regret it later on.

Are they accepted in all jobs by now? I am not sure I would hire someone with visible tattoos or piercings if I were HR.

Are they a regional or global phenomenon? Here in Portugal they are very popular, not sure about other countries.
Tats on the face or hands are still pretty much taboo in business.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:08 PM

4,014 posts, read 1,957,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

I see lots of students and I think it is a fad whose time has passed (again).

Sure some people will continue to get tattoos but most of today's teens are not aspiring tattoo wearers. In 30 years those with whole body tattoos will look even more out-of-place than they do today.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:09 PM

3,470 posts, read 659,186 times
I don't have any tattoos and never really wanted one. Nothing against it, it's just not for me.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:13 PM

711 posts, read 387,961 times
I don't have any either. I do think some are interesting though.

For a while a friend and I would get Henna tattoos every couple of months. That was fun because you could change what you did and the location on a whim.

I have seen some articles on the best tattoo artists in the world. Some of their work is truly breathtaking.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:22 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,290,421 times
When my son was in high school he wanted one- I told him to choose a design and if he still wanted that same design in a year I would sign for him to get one- he never kept the same design for one year- now he is 31 and still has none.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:28 PM

704 posts, read 228,935 times
I might get one when I'm in my 90s if my memory is going bad, like names of family but other than that, I've no interest. I think the stigma is over, though where one was drunk and got a tat.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:51 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,146,568 times
When I was a teen in the '70's, the general consensus was that tattoos made a person look cheap. Now that I'm older, I feel they still make a person look cheap, especially on women. It's a fad that's slowly losing it's appeal.

Tattoo Regret: Why The Majority Of Middle-Aged Americans Are Deciding To Blast Away Their Ink

Old 04-24-2017, 06:12 PM

4,847 posts, read 2,149,409 times
Hyper attune towards something's that may be of subjectiveness. Such as I am hyper attuned to piercings. I don't have any so it fascinates and sometimes disturbs me when I see them. Same idea.
I do have one tattoo..Yet as I age I graciously regret it. It's akin to branding..The body..
So I've come full circle in understanding the stigma.
A lady at work has it on 80% of her body.. it's off-putting ..And her behavior seems to emulate it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty