Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times

Advertisements

Yes, there is such a thing. It either looks like a mistake or like an attempt to show other people up. Not just like "the best dressed person in the room". The best dressed person in the room looks fabulous, and at the correct function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 08:03 AM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yes there is depending on the occasion, as others have mentioned. I work in a very small office, just the three of us including the owner. I am the only one who dresses in a semi professional manner. I don't wear a suit or anything but I wear nice pants or a skirt, a top and either a jacket or sweater to pull the outfit together. I'm probably "overdressed" considering the other employee has come in to work with cut off short shorts or a track suit. Even the boss wears shorts, a polo shirt and deck shoes almost every day. Maybe I'm old school, but I just can't go into work like that.
I respect your decision for wearing professional clothing to work in an office setting. The above workers probably wear jeans to funerals, weddings and church.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:04 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
There is. Definitely.

We all laugh hysterically at this one lady we know. Not in front of her of course! But after every event we are like "Did you see that get up?!" We jokingly call her the "trophy wife" because a guy called her that once and we all got a laugh. We are all in our late 50's to 60's and the TW dresses to the nines everywhere she goes. We live in a laid back lake community and shorts /capris and T-shirts, polos, etc are the typical outfit. She shows up at a car club meeting wearing a beaded gown and heels, hat w/feathers! Why? I guess they were going out to eat after, but I've never worn a dress like that unless I was going to a black-tie or white tie event. Other times she wears outfits that look like Palm Springs "chic" where every part of the outfit has sparkles or lame, or is made of silk. I mean we are going for a car ride and then out to lunch at a small dive-y restaurant and she looks like she stepped out of a New York trendy club or something all the time. WAAAAYY over-dressed.

It's okay to be the best-dressed in the room, but not in a way that makes people gossip about you behind your back because you look so out of place.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:17 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I don't think so, the way I see it you're just the best looking person in the room

Or stand out like a sore thumb. Of course you can be overdressed.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:35 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I love people who dress up. I come from a Latin culture who always dresses up. It's what we do. And where I live now, is an affluent area (although we are NOT affluent ourselves) and you see people way more dressed up than not. Frankly, I am glad I live in such an area. People look like they actually care about themselves.

Personally, I love it (dressing up). I would rather see people "overdressed" in ballroom attire at a casual event than those who wear baggy, dirty cut-offs and tees. As always, everyone should dress as they wish. We are all just giving our opinions. And by the way, those of you who are "making fun" of someone you think is outlandishly overdressed, remember you never know where they might be on their way to.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I tend to dress up. I feel more comfortable. I am waiting for my flight now at the airport. I almost feel over dressed in my t-shirt dress and cardigan wit sporty flats. Most everyone else is in sweatpants!

Old 04-25-2017, 09:11 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
The above workers probably wear jeans to funerals, weddings and church.
...and what's more absurd is they were worshipping someone who wore a modest robe and sandals. To think that as God's representative on Earth, he wasn't even willing to put on a proper tux and shine his shoes. Maybe its time to reconsider who you are trying to impress.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:21 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I don't think so, the way I see it you're just the best looking person in the room
Absolutely. It's always appropriate to look smart. But, seriously, would you wear a ball gown to just any place? At a cotillion you would look great. At a baseball game, you'd look like a loon.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Sure. You can be very uncomfortable being conspicuously in inappropriate attire. Whether overdressed or underdressed.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Also, being attired in [x,y,z] doesn't make you "the best looking person in the room." You can be dressed to the nines and still unattractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty