U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 08:32 AM

25,408 posts, read 14,500,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Passed two women yesterday wearing fancy dressing gowns and pyjamas.. why.....they were in full makeup.. talk about wanting to be noticed.. and they werent young girls..
Like the valor track suits from last decade right? Unless they are going to Wal-Mart or the doctors, that is just plain tacky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 AM

14,509 posts, read 11,489,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Like the valor track suits from last decade right? Unless they are going to Wal-Mart or the doctors, that is just plain tacky.
they were walking down a busy street and I couldnt get my camera out the back soon enough, both chatting and laughing. all made up too.. dont get it.. no handbags, just bedclothes on.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:44 AM

4,905 posts, read 4,215,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
maybe its the gossipers who have the problem and not her....she probably doesnt give a hoot whos talking about her and it makes her feel good to dress up... I personally dont like being overdressed or noticed but were all different .
If you don't want to be gossiped about, don't wear something ridiculous. She does it so people will turn and check her out when she enters the room. We check her out, but she's not making the impression she was hoping for.

I like to follow the rule that you should only wear one sparkly or animal print garment at a time. I want to look nice, clean, put together, and apropos for the occasion, not like I'm wearing half the zoo and a crystal chandelier at the same time.

Last edited by TheShadow; 04-29-2017 at 07:52 AM..

Old 04-29-2017, 10:06 AM

3,700 posts, read 3,027,760 times
The current preferred fashion norms in America include the notion of tattoos and ripped jeans as being integral to fashion cognoscenti sensibilities, haircuts that would have caused great embarrassment a few decades ago now grace the hip and noteworthy as a signal of their fashion attitude, with regard to the "latest look."

Overdressed? It'd be difficult to make a call on that score when we see the hobo hair, pre-dirtied jeans, outlandish pseudo-working man's shoes, worn together to complete the "look" of "I awoke in a ditch this morning." I don't care what others choose to wear---but--I also think today's fashion sense nullifies the question...

Old 04-29-2017, 04:01 PM

193 posts, read 78,266 times
There is absolutely nothing wrong on being overdressed and as some would say that I am just a stylish person, maybe not overdressed. I am high on maintenance with beauty for my hair, face & body, my clothes are not expensive.

We have a lakeside cottage we go to every summer, and the women are all dressed down. I also wear Columbia clothes and such when going hiking in the area, otherwise I do dress up to match how I feel about myself, and my hair is styled (even if it is an updo), the finger nails & toes are done, I may have on light makeup with my false lashes and to kick it up a notch with bling t-shirt or if all plain, I'm wearing Swarovski jewelry. Since I've been introduced to the other cottage country people, I have noticed that the locals do look at me and I don't think the women were happy and one of them blasted me for wearing lipstick, but since my first couple of years there, the women upgraded a bit and they look gorgeous! Some rebel and look plain and are not friendly.

I do dress up for work and at my old job, the ladies felt that I was a snob, but I was so happy to see that they made effort with their dresswear & hair that they look fabulous! We've connected and agree that the shoes must be comfortable. They admit that they feel better, carry themselves better at work and made a positive impact in their personal life.

When I dress casual clothing, I must wear lingerie that is sexy, (they are always sexy, but I make an extra effort on casual day) because I feel comfortable in them and feel like a star when wearing sexy lingerie with casual clothing. Casual does not consist sports wear, running shoes, sneakers and wearing a pajama at home or in public.
My casual wear at home is wearing lingerie because that is comfortable for me and going out for a quick run is with a blouse, jeans and shoes with accessories (think Swarovoski or Chanel) and my hair is always styled.

I truly enjoy looking at other stylish women, whether it is my personal taste or not. Their "look" is beautiful to look at and you really want to get to know them.

I agree with other posters that wearing a ball gown to a basketball game is a bit much, but dressing up to one is worth the effort to feel good and engage with other people who respect themselves.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:25 AM

14,651 posts, read 29,700,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong on being overdressed and as some would say that I am just a stylish person, maybe not overdressed. I am high on maintenance with beauty for my hair, face & body, my clothes are not expensive.

We have a lakeside cottage we go to every summer, and the women are all dressed down. I also wear Columbia clothes and such when going hiking in the area, otherwise I do dress up to match how I feel about myself, and my hair is styled (even if it is an updo), the finger nails & toes are done, I may have on light makeup with my false lashes and to kick it up a notch with bling t-shirt or if all plain, I'm wearing Swarovski jewelry. Since I've been introduced to the other cottage country people, I have noticed that the locals do look at me and I don't think the women were happy and one of them blasted me for wearing lipstick, but since my first couple of years there, the women upgraded a bit and they look gorgeous! Some rebel and look plain and are not friendly.

I do dress up for work and at my old job, the ladies felt that I was a snob, but I was so happy to see that they made effort with their dresswear & hair that they look fabulous! We've connected and agree that the shoes must be comfortable. They admit that they feel better, carry themselves better at work and made a positive impact in their personal life.

When I dress casual clothing, I must wear lingerie that is sexy, (they are always sexy, but I make an extra effort on casual day) because I feel comfortable in them and feel like a star when wearing sexy lingerie with casual clothing. Casual does not consist sports wear, running shoes, sneakers and wearing a pajama at home or in public.
My casual wear at home is wearing lingerie because that is comfortable for me and going out for a quick run is with a blouse, jeans and shoes with accessories (think Swarovoski or Chanel) and my hair is always styled.

I truly enjoy looking at other stylish women, whether it is my personal taste or not. Their "look" is beautiful to look at and you really want to get to know them.

I agree with other posters that wearing a ball gown to a basketball game is a bit much, but dressing up to one is worth the effort to feel good and engage with other people who respect themselves.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:25 AM

4,905 posts, read 4,215,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post

Just reading this post made my head hurt.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:36 AM

14,022 posts, read 16,947,806 times
I can't decide which is more ridiculous, the "I woke up in a ditch" look or the "I spend absurd amounts of time primping" look. Both are extremes. Some amount of flexibility in dress codes is certainly desirable in most situations, but absolute freedom means there is no more dress code, there are no more standards at all.

Judges wear robes to enhance the dignity and seriousness of the court setting. It is entirely appropriate and desirable. But nobody wears a judicial robe to a picnic.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:43 AM

14,022 posts, read 16,947,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
Yes, but does it really matter?
If you wear a ball gown to a company BBQ; people may chuckle for a minute and then forget all about it.
But if you wear your pajamas to a job interview/wedding/other formal event; people will probably not speak to you again, but they will gossip behind your back for years.
I do not agree with the bolded. If you present yourself in an extreme manner, in either direction, people are going to carry that image of you in their minds. You have marked yourself as a weirdo, and people are not going to "forget all about it".

Old 05-02-2017, 11:33 AM

17 posts, read 5,783 times
It's possible to look overdressed depending on the event and occasion. You can still be well put together, but not look overdressed. An extreme example would be wearing an evening gown with hair done to go bowling. It just depends on the crowd and how much you stand out from it that would give the overdressed appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or