Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:51 PM

776 posts, read 955,317 times

Advertisements

I raced stock cars for years at local tracks.

The pit areas are gravel that has been sprayed with old motor oil to keep down the dust.

At least once a month, some guy would bring his new girl friend with him to the pits after the races were over...........Here she is stumbling across the gravel, wearing high heels, a skin tight skirt and a deep vee blouse. God only knows what type of event she thought she was going to......

Just to be clear, it wasn't the same girl every time....grin

xxx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 01:52 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,437 times
Yes, there is such a thing as overdressing.

It's when the outfit is much too formal or elaborate for the occasion.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:19 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
I agree you have to dress to the situation and locale. We had two guys from our office go talk to a good ol' boy down in the rural Missouri Ozarks. #1 wore his usual Armani suit and Italian leather loafers, which would have been perfect if the meeting was in Kansas City or other urban setting. #2 chose khakis, a polo or some other "casual" shirt and casual shoes. Guess who the good ol boy established rapport with?

Old 04-25-2017, 03:03 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
Default Dress tastefully

It's better to be over-dressed than under-dressed. Dress tastefully. Applies to both men and women.

By dressing up for an ordinary day/event you show respect toward your boss/host and those around you/co-workers.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:42 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
It's better to be over-dressed than under-dressed. Dress tastefully. Applies to both men and women.

By dressing up for an ordinary day/event you show respect toward your boss/host and those around you/co-workers.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:11 PM

31 posts, read 24,808 times
I went to a couple funerals and seen some sights...
yes, people can overdress.....

Old 04-25-2017, 04:24 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,437 times
Quote:

^^^^ Agreed.

Of course it's best to dress appropriately for the occasion. But between the two options of overdressing and underdressing, it's better to be overdressed. Underdressing shows a lack of respect.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:24 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I love people who dress up. I come from a Latin culture who always dresses up. It's what we do. And where I live now, is an affluent area (although we are NOT affluent ourselves) and you see people way more dressed up than not. Frankly, I am glad I live in such an area. People look like they actually care about themselves.

Personally, I love it (dressing up). I would rather see people "overdressed" in ballroom attire at a casual event than those who wear baggy, dirty cut-offs and tees. As always, everyone should dress as they wish. We are all just giving our opinions. And by the way, those of you who are "making fun" of someone you think is outlandishly overdressed, remember you never know where they might be on their way to.
Ballroom attire is excessive unless you are at an event that actually calls for ballroom attire. But dressing 'smart'--there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I used to love dressing well at my husband's family birthday parties and at Christmas, etc. They all dressed down, sweats and socks, etc.

I would show up in jeans, boots, white shirt and a black blazer almost every time.

I think it shows you care and don't want to be drug down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So true, my mother always said it was better to underdress than overdress, but she always picked wisely. Out in the boonies the worst thing you can do is appear to put on airs - you'll be forever labeled as snobbish or stuck-up or worse and figuratively beaten into submission.
These two comments, I think, touch on the 3rd rail of American social life--class. Classes exist in the US, even though we sometimes pretend they don't. Cross-class social interactions are not easy to navigate--from dress to discussion topics to other social expectations.

Quote:

I think that it is good to be appropriately dressed, but smart. There aren't that many occasions where the level of dress formality is truly unclear. If you are at a casual event, dress 'smart' casual. If you are at a professional event, dress 'smart' professional. If you are at a black-tie event--dress for a black-tie event. While there is some variance in the formality of a wedding, you are unlikely to be surprised by how formal the wedding you are attending will be.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:45 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,499,932 times
I feel it is not the "overdressing" part but how you put things together - many people wear too many fussy items - scarves, rings on every finger, bright nail polish, overly shiny shoes - you really cannot buy class -

Old 04-25-2017, 11:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Yes there is. Sometimes it comes across as trying too hard. Ex wearing a ball gown to a baseball game. Even if you loom good people will think you are nuts.
Yeah. For instance, unless you are coming straight from work or an interview, DON'T wear a suit at a sports event, concert or wrestling match (unless you are in club level) or a Wal-Mart. I've also seen women wear heels to sporting events. I shake my head at this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty