U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:07 PM

983 posts, read 459,200 times

Advertisements

I don't think so, the way I see it you're just the best looking person in the room
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 10:25 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,363,135 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I don't think so, the way I see it you're just the best looking person in the room
Yes there is. Sometimes it comes across as trying too hard. Ex wearing a ball gown to a baseball game. Even if you loom good people will think you are nuts.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:00 AM

14,517 posts, read 11,501,142 times
Oh yes you can be overdressed or not dressed for the right occassion.. for some reason they usually have a scarf draped over their shoulder, be it man or woman. now I love scarves , dont get me wrong, but you know the types.. its either a very expensive pashmina type thing or a cashmere scarf draped casually.. but its taken them 15 mins or more to drape it so casual hahaha. I like to see someone nicely dressed.. but the overdressed overjewelled people are a bit much... we just have to look at the celebs on the red carpet, their trying to stand out so much that they can look ridiculous and trying too hard....

Old 04-25-2017, 05:47 AM

3,054 posts, read 2,887,747 times
One can be, yes. But in the good ole U.S.A. these days, that's the least of our problems when it comes to dress and appearance!

Old 04-25-2017, 06:25 AM

14,022 posts, read 16,955,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Yes there is. Sometimes it comes across as trying too hard. Ex wearing a ball gown to a baseball game. Even if you loom good people will think you are nuts.
Yes. Another (admittedly extreme) example would be wearing a tuxedo to a pool party. But the same basic principle applies with less extreme examples. In any situation where one stands out as a sore thumb, whether one is overdressed or underdressed, one is giving proof of bad judgement and lack of class.

Dress codes these days in the United States are rather flexible and a range of dress is normally present and acceptable, but the flexibility is not absolute and one can stand out on either extreme. Personally, I would rather err on the side of being overdressed (if I had to err at all), but my answer to the thread title question is a clear "yes", there really is such a thing as overdressed.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:48 AM

9,121 posts, read 3,936,411 times
Yes there is depending on the occasion, as others have mentioned. I work in a very small office, just the three of us including the owner. I am the only one who dresses in a semi professional manner. I don't wear a suit or anything but I wear nice pants or a skirt, a top and either a jacket or sweater to pull the outfit together. I'm probably "overdressed" considering the other employee has come in to work with cut off short shorts or a track suit. Even the boss wears shorts, a polo shirt and deck shoes almost every day. Maybe I'm old school, but I just can't go into work like that.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:01 AM

3,827 posts, read 3,761,492 times
This post might have some value in Italy or Spain but in America if people overdress, at minimum they will be ridiculed behind their backs.

Every time I go to rural areas or deep suburbs, I'm very careful to dress down and plain. Men out there will not hesitate to scoff at men who look like outsiders, urbanites, liberals, hipsters, or who just look successful.

Good country stock wears scummy blue jeans, t-shirts, flannels and work boots.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,421 posts, read 50,646,420 times
Anyone wearing a coat and tie at our office of 400+ is immediately subject to comments like "job interview today?" because we are business casual, so anyone overdressed sticks out like a sore thumb. Around here no one cares about being the best dressed person in the room, the goal is to be comfortable.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:27 AM

14,022 posts, read 16,955,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Anyone wearing a coat and tie at our office of 400+ is immediately subject to comments like "job interview today?" because we are business casual, so anyone overdressed sticks out like a sore thumb. Around here no one cares about being the best dressed person in the room, the goal is to be comfortable.
No quarrel at all with your point, as I am already on record as being against sticking out like a sore thumb. But as to the comfort issue, I am not uncomfortable in a coat and tie.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:30 AM

39,092 posts, read 37,733,259 times
Yes, certainly there is such a thing as being overdressed.

It doesn't always make you look like the "best looking person in the room." Sometimes you just look like you didn't really understand the event you were attending or that you didn't "get the memo."

Having said that, there is a big difference between being very dressed up/made up and "overdressed."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or