U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2017, 11:04 AM

39,003 posts, read 37,656,456 times

Advertisements

I bought some really big hoop earrings, and I also wear glasses that are kind of a cross between a Ray Ban Wayfarer shape and a cat-eye shape.

Anyway, when I put on the hoops and then look at myself in the mirror, all I can see are the four "loops" on my face made by the glasses and the hoops. FYI I have long hair.

It's just a dumb little thing, really, but I was wondering if the glasses keep me from being able to "pull off" the big hoop look, or if I'm just overthinking. I normally only wear long dangly drop earrings.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 01:11 PM

5,263 posts, read 2,874,948 times
Wmsn4Life, I used to always wear large hoops. But now I have been wearing my glasses because my contact lenses irritate my ole eyeballz. And it feels like I have "too many" things on my head! If I wear earrings at all these days, they're usually drop or stud just because the hoops seem too busy or something.

I'm sure no one else notices such things and I'm sure you look wonderful... but I understand what you're saying about it.
My glasses are more of a square shape than round, but the earrings still make me feel like I'm "overloaded" for lack of a better description.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 12,465,112 times
Put on your glasses and hoop earrings, and take a pic of yourself in the mirror with your phone. Do a nice head shot. Look at the pic, and you will be able to see if the earrings and glasses are too much on you. I think a lot depends on style of glasses, size of head and other things. I definitely would not wear glasses and large bulky drop earrings.

If you don't like the large hoops, maybe a pair of smaller hoops might be OK.

But looking at yourself in a pic is the best way for you to tell if you like yourself with both earrings and glasses.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Wmsn4Life, I used to always wear large hoops. But now I have been wearing my glasses because my contact lenses irritate my ole eyeballz. And it feels like I have "too many" things on my head! If I wear earrings at all these days, they're usually drop or stud just because the hoops seem too busy or something.

I'm sure no one else notices such things and I'm sure you look wonderful... but I understand what you're saying about it.
My glasses are more of a square shape than round, but the earrings still make me feel like I'm "overloaded" for lack of a better description.
Thanks, Nicci!!

I think that's it ... when I glance in the mirror I just see a lot of "wooooOOOOOO! Swirly circle shapes!!!" but ... like you said, anyone who looks me in that face long enough to notice THAT probably won't mind anyway LOL

Old 04-28-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Put on your glasses and hoop earrings, and take a pic of yourself in the mirror with your phone. Do a nice head shot. Look at the pic, and you will be able to see if the earrings and glasses are too much on you. I think a lot depends on style of glasses, size of head and other things. I definitely would not wear glasses and large bulky drop earrings.

If you don't like the large hoops, maybe a pair of smaller hoops might be OK.

But looking at yourself in a pic is the best way for you to tell if you like yourself with both earrings and glasses.
Excellent idea

Our eyes definitely allow us to see ourselves with more of a "forgiving" filter than camera lenses do.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:54 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
I'd wear them. I wear glasses 100% of the time, and have, for the most part, since I was 8 years old. I used to feel like I "couldn't" [dress formally, wear an updo, wear hoop earrings, wear dangling earrings] if I was wearing my glasses. I've since discarded that idea and wear what I want.

When I was a college student in the late 90s, having a stud in one's nostril was a hot tend for women of that age (especially if they were artsy, which I was). I never got one because I was convinced it wasn't a look that would work with glasses. I wish I'd just gone ahead and done it.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'd wear them. I wear glasses 100% of the time, and have, for the most part, since I was 8 years old. I used to feel like I "couldn't" [dress formally, wear an updo, wear hoop earrings, wear dangling earrings] if I was wearing my glasses. I've since discarded that idea and wear what I want.

When I was a college student in the late 90s, having a stud in one's nostril was a hot tend for women of that age (especially if they were artsy, which I was). I never got one because I was convinced it wasn't a look that would work with glasses. I wish I'd just gone ahead and done it.
Youth is wasted on the young

Old 04-28-2017, 02:47 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,482,020 times
Quote:

I was never judgemental about facial piercings...they never bothered me one way or the other...though I never got any. I never cared if it was 1 or a 100.

BUT I always thought nose piercings with a single pretty stud were very cool and exotic looking. :-) My niece has a little diamond stud she wears sometimes, and I just think it's so pretty. lol

Old 04-28-2017, 03:02 PM

129 posts, read 62,573 times
Quote:
Probably better that you didn't. I got one with glasses, and I constantly scraped and pulled out the stud while putting my glasses on/off. It never healed right and just ended up scarring. A nice souvenir of my college days!!

Old 04-28-2017, 03:48 PM

5,263 posts, read 2,874,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Thanks, Nicci!!

I think that's it ... when I glance in the mirror I just see a lot of "wooooOOOOOO! Swirly circle shapes!!!" but ... like you said, anyone who looks me in that face long enough to notice THAT probably won't mind anyway LOL

I have two piercings in one ear and just one in the other. My dad always forgets and asks every time I see him, "Did you lose your earring?" And then I have to remind him that I don't have as many holes in my head as he thinks I do.

I notice ladies wearing glasses and tons of jewelry and I always think that it looks cool and funky and wonder why I can't seem to pull that look off. But I think it's because I fidget and have so much hair that it gets caught up in necklaces and earrings and I end up looking like an escaped mental patient trying to free myself from restraints.

Betcha your hoops look good on you. Your long hair probably takes some of the attention off the earrings themselves, don't you think? Try wearing a very tall hat to balance things out. HA! I give horrible advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty