U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:34 AM

4,938 posts, read 2,563,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Do you just throw your hands up and leave the house looking terrible?
Never do I leave the house looking terrible! It can be frustrating finding clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Find a brand that works for you and has the kind of quality you're looking for, and stick to that brand whenever possible.
^ that, yes. I did finally find Boden-- their clothes that fit me very well most of the time. The have cut down on their selection of petite sizes which disappoints me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 10:42 AM

4,236 posts, read 3,029,286 times
Yes, because so many things are made poorly, and nearly everything contains artificial fibers, like spandex and lycra. Thankfully it's just difficult, but not impossible to find well-made clothing. However, artificial fibers are in nearly everything nowadays. The recent ubiquity of man-made fibers in clothing has been the biggest problem for me.

I only buy clothes that I love. I hate clothing that contains artificial fibers, and do not wear such (with the exception of leggings, exercise gear, and of course linings which are almost universally of polyester). The widespread use of artificial fibers in everything has severely limited my choices.

Therefore, whenever and wherever I find clothing that's of high-quality and made of natural fibers, in a style I love, I buy it. If the price is discounted, I get it in at least a couple of colors. I don't care about the store or label.

Since I never know if/when I'm going to find clothes I absolutely love when I need them, if I see a beautiful piece, I get it. I hate having to run around like crazy looking for clothing at the last minute for an occasion. So even if I have no immediate plans to wear my purchases, I get them for the times I will need them.

My taste in clothing is classic, so the things I buy do not really go out of style. I keep my clothing for decades. My pieces can sit in my closet and drawers for a long time, and be perfect for the next appropriate occasion. I like having clothing on hand for every occasion, especially since it's so difficult to find what I want.

Last edited by Sage 80; 04-30-2017 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-30-2017, 11:02 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,723,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
The cut of the shirt or pants are weird (can be fixed by alterations, most of the time), the fabric is not what you want, the color you want isn't available at all, you can't find the right shoes etc. Even in the expanse of the Internet and online shopping, it appears that choice is limited and customizing isn't available.
Do you just throw your hands up and leave the house looking terrible? How do you compromise, or improvise, when you can't dress as well as you'd like to? Is there a secret to clothes shopping that I'm not aware of?
God, yes, this is my life.

I am SUPER SUPER picky about patterns, the way pants fit, i cannot STAND all the horrible gewgaws and the entire style of today's clothes. I mean, sometimes I think about it and just reel from how terrible it all is. I cannot STAND animal prints, rhinestones on clothing, tassels, acid-washed crap, Harley (or any other kind of corporate) logos, flip flops, those AWFUL AWFUL sandal boots- who ever invented those must truly hate women- v necks, athletic wear as street clothes, tennis shoes....I could go on and on. I do NOT understand how people choose to look this way. Do people actually think when they purchase clothes? Do they put things on and go "OH YEAH this looks good" or are most people simply too harried to think about it?

I favor clean lines, trousers and not jeans (with skinny legs, not office wear) ballet flats, solid colors or stripes, turtlenecks, and clothes that are not baggy. I hate fashion, but I LOVE style, and like I heard a hero of mine say, " i can live without being told what to wear". The idea that "something is fashionable this season, so you have to buy it" is an abomination to me. But the fact that 99 percent of it is just absolutely the ugliest crap imaginable makes it a joke besides.

Now, if Francoise Hardy had a line of clothing, I'd wear it. She has the best style ever. No frippery and lace, just clean lines and a woman who looks like she could DO something. Not one of these Kardashian types with their camo body suits and stilletto sandalboots. Who the hell invented those again? Seriously? Apart from Birkenstocks these are the UGLIEST SHOES EVER INVENTED. Please stop, now. Thank you.

Oh- and my secret to clothes shopping is : i go to thrift stores, frequently. I almost never find anything I like. I love Mossino, they always seem good for long sleeved tees and basic stuff. H and M as well. I like those brands. But I just have to search and search, and when I find something I like I take care of it, and I am also big on alterations. If I really like a pair of pants, I will alter them to fit me. I often take bell bottoms and make them skinnier legged, that sort of thing. I cherish the few clothes I do have- some of which i have had for over ten years. I don't wash clothes every time I wear them if I didn't get them dirty. I try and skip a wash to preserve them. I have always dreamt of having enough money to just design a pair of pants and some shirts i love, and have them made in every color i love, along with suede boots and some jackets, and I would be set for life, and always look great.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:12 AM

2,605 posts, read 1,113,033 times
I loathe clothes shopping. Can't get anything to fit. When you're big-busted you either look matronly, or like a hooker. Can't wear 85% of styles. Forget button shirts, suit jackets, vests and any number of styles. And bathing suits, I was about to start a rant thread on that. Surrounded by obese women, (I'm not) yet an XL top is too small. No bigger sizes in 3 stores I went to. The cashier was twice my size---I almost said "where do you shop"?

Just so not fun.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:36 AM

1,305 posts, read 549,076 times
For me, it's hard to find jeans and pants that are long enough in length.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:38 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,642,859 times
Honestly, I'm so glad I'm old and retired now. I gave all my "business" wear away a week after I retired; now I live in jeans and cotton or knit tops. And I stick to one brand of jeans and only 2 or 3 brands of tops, because they are appropriate for more "mature" women (i.e., no string tops, off-the-shoulder necklines, plunging cleavage, etc.) Fortunately all the functions I attend are for other gardeners too, so even if we have a "gala" no-one really dresses up (as in an actual dress.) I do try to keep one "nice" outfit for funerals, but thankfully haven't had to wear it much lately.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:57 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,115,918 times
I don't have a problem finding clothes that I like, but I do consider myself selective about what I wear. I tend to prefer items that are not super trendy, so I can wear them for years. I've learned which styles and colors look best, and that really helps when searching for clothes.

I mostly buy clothing and shoes on-line at places such as Eshakti, Ann Taylor LOFT, Zappos, Land's End, JCP, Macy's, Old Navy, and Ebay.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:37 PM

8,142 posts, read 7,466,203 times
I wear the same thing day in and day out: white jeans, pumps, and a tee shirt. If I'm going dressy, I'll wear a dressy blouse or jacket.

I'm currently obsessed with TopShop's jeans. Before that it was Joes Jeans.

Pumps are always Manolos.

T-shirt is Gap, Banana Republic, or Michael Stars.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:46 PM

4,218 posts, read 7,851,109 times
1. Thrift stores. Every time I see an inside neck label from the olden times, it feels like a treasure. Then, I incorporate them into modern look.

2. High(ish)-end stores online (during sales usually). They arrive, I try them on in peace at home, never having to step out. Returning into physical stores is not a problem.

3. Bought patterns on Ebay, soon will revive my sewing skills (skirts, dusters, blouses). The fabric - again bought online, sometimes from far away places, but pure cotton etc.

But yes, I understand Steve Jobs' philosophy of wearing the same shirts and the same jeans, to avoid this whole problem.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:35 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
Yes, I do find it difficult.

So I shop periodically, especially at sale time, and buy things that work for me. In other words, I don't wait until I desperately need something. It helps that I mostly buy well-made classics, not trendy junk. And if there's a period when I hate the styles of the moment, I stop buying and wait it out. For instance, whenever I can find low-priced jeans that work for me, I buy them. Then I stash them away until I need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or