U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 03:42 PM

1,389 posts, read 544,774 times

Advertisements

Yes, that's why I hate shopping. I hate trying clothes on just to find out they don't fit. Or I think they're too expensive. I hate deciding.

Fortunately, I finally found that Gap has jeans that look good on me and NY & Co. have business casual clothes that look great on me. So I'm happy when I happen to stop in and they're having a sale!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 04:19 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,047,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yep - I have the same issue. Add to that the fact that I'm petite and it's really hard to find clothes that fit and don't look like they should be worn by little old ladies. I'm a young 62, normalish weight and unless I want to wear capris (which I hate on short people) or skinny pants I just stick to a few stores that work for me like Chico's, Talbots or Dillards. Even with these stores I have to go through a lot of racks to find something that meets the criteria I'm looking for because a lot of the clothes at Chico's & Talbots especially seem to be made for the senior citizen crowd. I love White House/Black Market but they don't carry petites in the retail stores and I hate buying clothes online. Most of the time I have to send them back because there is no uniformity in sizing either. I have clothes in my closet that are anywhere from a size 8 to a size 12.

Plus, clothes do seem to be made thinner and cheaper looking these days, doesn't matter if it's a $20 blouse or a $100 one or whether it comes from Wal-Mart or Dillards.
I'm with you! I'm petite and that category seems to have just gone to the over 80 crowd (beading, sparkles, etc.) - tops are only cheap thin fabric - how I miss the days of being able to buy (but not realizing at the time it was a short-lived luxury) cotton tee's, pants that weren't skinny leg, cotton sweaters....

Old 04-30-2017, 04:24 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,047,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
1. Thrift stores. Every time I see an inside neck label from the olden times, it feels like a treasure. Then, I incorporate them into modern look.

2. High(ish)-end stores online (during sales usually). They arrive, I try them on in peace at home, never having to step out. Returning into physical stores is not a problem.

3. Bought patterns on Ebay, soon will revive my sewing skills (skirts, dusters, blouses). The fabric - again bought online, sometimes from far away places, but pure cotton etc.

But yes, I understand Steve Jobs' philosophy of wearing the same shirts and the same jeans, to avoid this whole problem.
Thrift stores used to be a good place to find something well-made (from the "old days") - not anymore in my area, they are priced at what you would have paid for it new and on-sale or clearance and it's old washed-out, stretched out, torn, etc. - I have seen things @ Goodwill that I would have cut up into rags and they are trying to charge high prices.

Guess we'll be stuck with wearing the same ole and/or going naked! LOL

Old 04-30-2017, 05:14 PM

3,200 posts, read 1,485,423 times
Love thrift shopping. I only to one. Santa Fe Goodwill on Cerrillios Road.

Otherwise, it's Chico's.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:44 PM

18,847 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Yes, especially shoes. Frankly, my feet are non standard and finding shoes is always hard. I can find more things now that I could 20 years ago, but I still try on lots of stuff to find the one thing I can tolerate on my feet. Sometimes I never find that one thing.

I have other problems with tees and pants. I think much of the problem is due to how my body has changed as I have gotten older. I bought from Chicos for a while, but the last time I walked into a Chicos I had a terrible time finding anything that fit.

The best size for me is a 14W. Lands End carried that size for a short while, and the stuff I bought then fits well. I don't think they carried that size for more than a year, so now I have to order XL. Mostly XL fits, but not as well as the 14Ws did. Often tees are too short for my long waisted self and pants are too long and often do not fit well.

I agree that if you find one thing that fits really well, then you should buy multiples. I've come round to that thinking, especially with socks. I have a hard time finding socks that fit my 101/2 sized foot. I've found some good wool ones at a good price and I've stockpiled them. I am glad I did because last fall's socks were not as good as the previous ones I bought 1 and 2 years ago. I'm set for the immediate future.

I used to have to buy men's socks, but sometime or other the men's socks got too big for me. Most women's socks fit only up to a size 9 shoe.

I do find that ordering from some internet merchants (generally merchants who started out in catalogs before moving online) works better for me than buying from anyone else. I am trying to find a few more dependable merchants to order from. And I almost always order shoes from Zappos.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:23 PM

10,388 posts, read 7,472,821 times
I can relate. I'm so in between sizes in most articles of clothing.

There are very few ladies jeans that have ever fit me. I do better with guys' pants.

I try not to buy anything that doesn't look great on me. I have no problem buying in thrift stores, too. You can find cool clothes that may or may not work, and if they do you can research the maker and try to find their stuff online.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:38 PM

8,652 posts, read 4,786,033 times
I've always been a huge thrift store junkie (and am very blessed to live in an area with awesome thrift stores), but it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I noticed I was reaching for the same pieces over and over. So I looked at the tags and noticed that those pieces all had one thing in common: they were all the same brand. I found that J.Crew is the one brand that consistently fits well, good quality fabrics, classic styles, and all of my favorite obnoxious colors. I still love my thrift stores, but I also now shop at J.Crew (I have an outlet close by) for workhorse pieces.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:25 PM

15,678 posts, read 3,108,907 times
No, I dont find it difficult to find clothes i like.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:32 PM

6,495 posts, read 2,237,845 times
No, I do find stuff if I were really looking for something, sometimes it is easier, sometimes harder. Price is a challenge because I won't buy something that I like if the price is too high and I don't believe it justifies the quality or look. I have to like something a lot to buy at retail and I don't remember the last time I bought something at the original price.

Recently, I saw some tees from some company that said they were cooling tops - it detects even slight sweat and then it cools you down. I remember checking out the price and got sticker shock, but what a novel idea especially as summer approaches. Tops that cool you down! What will they think of next?

Old 05-01-2017, 02:59 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,457,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons
I wear the same thing day in and day out
Excellent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or