U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:30 PM

91 posts, read 33,233 times

Advertisements

A lot of my problem of finding clothes have to do with size. My waist size is 31.5 and my shoe size if 9 EEE (extra extra wide). I don't like clothes that's too flashy either.

I also want a plain white t-shirt that I had but got worn out, but for the last 2 years I can't find a replacement (I had a very nice Calvin Klein white t-shirt that they don't make any more and no one makes it either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 12:47 AM

1,401 posts, read 726,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
If the fabric is natural, you can buy RIT dye and change the color. If it's synthetic fabric, doesn't work so well.

Might be a good idea for you to take up sewing. Every sewing machine sales store has sewing classes, both separate and as a part of a particular machine's sale.

Then you can choose your own fabrics, colors, and fit.

Good luck.
Good advice thanks! The pants that I like has a neutral beige color, I can try to dye it into the colors that I prefer.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:51 PM

18,847 posts, read 12,465,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This I don't go to stores much, at all, because I can walk around all day, and have nothing to show for it.
I know this feeling well. And, what I've noticed at malls is that most stores are geared to younger women. There is seldom a store for grown ups, or like me, older grownups.

And even when there is, I don't like the clothes very much. Lookin' at you Christopher and Banks.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:43 PM

11,672 posts, read 13,873,542 times
I have a hard time because I have several things working against me: tall, long torso, bigger bust.

Finding a shirt that fits my bust means it's like a tent on my waist and if it fits my waist it's tight up top. Add to that the fact that most tops aren't long enough to cover my stomach. I also have long legs which means pant length can be an issue.

My mom will do minor alterations for me, so that helps. Otherwise, I'm just really limited in what I can buy and stick to certain designers.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:24 PM

7,092 posts, read 5,453,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
The cut of the shirt or pants are weird (can be fixed by alterations, most of the time), the fabric is not what you want, the color you want isn't available at all, you can't find the right shoes etc. Even in the expanse of the Internet and online shopping, it appears that choice is limited and customizing isn't available.
Do you just throw your hands up and leave the house looking terrible? How do you compromise, or improvise, when you can't dress as well as you'd like to? Is there a secret to clothes shopping that I'm not aware of?
I'd probably say that there is no secret. However, I myself like clothes that are a bit unique. I went looking around for some items that I like. I realized that it depends on the store that I go to. Being a male, the choices in clothing aren't quite as varied as women. However, people who look for it are going to find enough variety.

I found the type of clothes I like from a company that I like. I guess one secret I would say is to look for stores that create the clothes that they sell. Department stores often carry multiple brands so they are going to be a little more limited than exclusive stores from what I see.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:46 PM

9,859 posts, read 5,777,142 times
I can find clothes that I like but can't always find them in the size that I need
I've walked thru stores that I don't go to very often and see a really nice top then happen to look up and notice that I've strayed into the petite area. On occasion I have taken item into Miss, looking around. If I don't see it no there's a sales person around then I'll ask. Very rarely I'm lucky. Except Kohls but mostly get told "we don't carry that item other than in petite. I've seen a real nice beer related tshirt for Mr C in the big and tall area once in Penneys. Thinking it would be a great Fathers Day gift (pre 2017) so I went to someone working at their check out kiosk to see if they had that in a regular large. Looked up the item in their computer and replied that item was only carried for the big/tall line. Nice to know tho it doesn't happen to any one gender.
Hubby had seen shoes and/or sneakers that he liked in the clearance but nothing in his size.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:59 PM

2,950 posts, read 3,188,994 times
No, because the clothes I have are 10-20 years old and work just fine. Only things I shop for are undergarments and socks when the others wear out. I did buy multiple colors of certain tops and sorts, so I am good to go. I am retired so the business duds went to Good Will.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:20 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,540,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
God, yes, this is my life.

I am SUPER SUPER picky about patterns, the way pants fit, i cannot STAND all the horrible gewgaws and the entire style of today's clothes. I mean, sometimes I think about it and just reel from how terrible it all is. I cannot STAND animal prints, rhinestones on clothing, tassels, acid-washed crap, Harley (or any other kind of corporate) logos, flip flops, those AWFUL AWFUL sandal boots- who ever invented those must truly hate women- v necks, athletic wear as street clothes, tennis shoes....I could go on and on. I do NOT understand how people choose to look this way. Do people actually think when they purchase clothes? Do they put things on and go "OH YEAH this looks good" or are most people simply too harried to think about it?

I favor clean lines, trousers and not jeans (with skinny legs, not office wear) ballet flats, solid colors or stripes, turtlenecks, and clothes that are not baggy. I hate fashion, but I LOVE style, and like I heard a hero of mine say, " i can live without being told what to wear". The idea that "something is fashionable this season, so you have to buy it" is an abomination to me. But the fact that 99 percent of it is just absolutely the ugliest crap imaginable makes it a joke besides.

Now, if Francoise Hardy had a line of clothing, I'd wear it. She has the best style ever. No frippery and lace, just clean lines and a woman who looks like she could DO something. Not one of these Kardashian types with their camo body suits and stilletto sandalboots. Who the hell invented those again? Seriously? Apart from Birkenstocks these are the UGLIEST SHOES EVER INVENTED. Please stop, now. Thank you.

Oh- and my secret to clothes shopping is : i go to thrift stores, frequently. I almost never find anything I like. I love Mossino, they always seem good for long sleeved tees and basic stuff. H and M as well. I like those brands. But I just have to search and search, and when I find something I like I take care of it, and I am also big on alterations. If I really like a pair of pants, I will alter them to fit me. I often take bell bottoms and make them skinnier legged, that sort of thing. I cherish the few clothes I do have- some of which i have had for over ten years. I don't wash clothes every time I wear them if I didn't get them dirty. I try and skip a wash to preserve them. I have always dreamt of having enough money to just design a pair of pants and some shirts i love, and have them made in every color i love, along with suede boots and some jackets, and I would be set for life, and always look great.
...all hail the fashion goddess, appreciate the wisdom she has bestowth upon us, heed the clothing that bringth her displeasure, for she giveth the style...and she will taketh away...

Old 05-22-2017, 10:33 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,540,259 times
Yes...effing always...

I might see some awesome graphic tee that's only on a white shirt.

Shoes...never caj have what I want(such as when J75s came out) because these moronic clothing companies won't make shoes over 12-13.

I always hafta settle for relaxex fit jeans, since everything else is straight leg or skinny jeans, so do I wanna look like a cowboy or a hipster. WTF happened to baggy/wide legged pants?! Not too mention it's like nobody in at least america has an inseam longer than 34 inches.

Then there's shorts...why do they all go above the knee? What am I some nerd or gym coach? Give me chonglers...please...

But at least I can find the style of sunglasses I like and capris.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:29 AM

212 posts, read 86,023 times
Yes, that's why if I find something that I actually like, I order it in all the colors lol. I refuse to spend a lot on clothing, have an odd body shape, don't like many materials, and don't really follow trends so me finding stuff I like isn't easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or