U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:25 PM

7,951 posts, read 3,862,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's really not, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 12:27 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
If you've never bought any than you wouldn't realize that yes, some of the "designer" labels' quality makes it worth the few extra bucks.
For example:
Instead of buying a shirt at Target for $25 - you can buy something similar at Norstrom for $40 and yes, the Nordstrom shirt will significantly outlast the Target one.
I used to be a big fan of Target but for the most part their quality went down while their prices went up.
Several clothing items I bought at Target...after one wash... looked like they'd been washed 789 times.
My 15 - 20 year old non designer clothing looks great because I have always taken care of my clothing properly however, if you believe what you wrote then it must be true to you alone.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:22 PM

8,139 posts, read 7,463,231 times
Izod bought LaCoste which was a high end brand the ran it into the ground.

LaCoste bought every single Izod/LaCoste thing ever made, destroyed them, then brought LaCoste back on the market as the high end sportswear it always was.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:37 PM

1,804 posts, read 772,436 times
When I think of that brand I think of polos and button-down shirts, neither of which I want to wear as a female in my 20's. If you see me in a polo, it was 100% against my will. The overall style is just not my style, no matter who makes/sells it.

I think it's fine for guys.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 12,465,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Because women don't wear polo shirts anymore?
I wear polo shirts every summer. I am as I am typing this, wearing a very nice color blocked polo from Lands End.

I am just guessing about Izod, but I imagine there are many places to buy polos and other similar items. I suspect their stuff did not stand out enough.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:53 PM

857 posts, read 723,749 times
Even a big retail footprint may not be enough to ensure success, at least in the near term. I can remember at least three different attempts by Levi-Strauss to market jeans made specifically for women, during the 1970s and 1980s; all of them were abortive in the end. If they didn't fail completely, I hardly ever saw any women wearing them. Women who wanted Levi's almost invariably preferred men's shrink-to-fit 501s, which nearly always looked better on them anyway. (Better than on us guys, too.)

Then finally around 1995 or '96 they got it right, and since that time women's jeans have been a major part of the company's output and sales. I couldn't tell you in specific terms what exactly the company did in 1995 or '96, but whatever it was it finally worked. When the low-rise trend took off a few years later, L-S stayed right on top of it.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:28 AM

4,089 posts, read 1,712,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's really not, though.
Lol. Exactly.

IZOD again? Ugh. It's hideous & no one cares about it anymore.

End of story.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:04 PM

4,625 posts, read 7,188,861 times
Sorry to bump, but just to let everyone know that the women's line is making a return as a licensed product line. It is being sold at Kohl's stores. Not sure if this will be an exclusive arrangement.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:16 PM

72,635 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Sorry to bump, but just to let everyone know that the women's line is making a return as a licensed product line. It is being sold at Kohl's stores. Not sure if this will be an exclusive arrangement.
Thanks. That's good to know. It might be more popular, as a lower-priced item. Their things were overpriced, as high-end label items.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:21 PM

2,960 posts, read 4,686,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
My 15 - 20 year old non designer clothing looks great because I have always taken care of my clothing properly however, if you believe what you wrote then it must be true to you alone.
It's true for me as well. And for my girlfriend. It's one reason we stopped buying from places like gap and target etc. Cuts and sizing were never consistent. Clothes didn't hold up in the wash, despite being a stickler for how I handle clothes when washing/drying.

My shirts and pants from better quality brands? I can keep them for years longer and they still fit right and have acceptable amounts of wear for the amount they were worn/washed.

It's not about being 'designer'. But I do appreciate quality and consistancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty