Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:24 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times

Advertisements

Yes, I always talk about IZOD's men's clothing, however, I was recently thinking about their now defunct women's line.

From some time in the mid/late 2000s to 2015, IZOD did produce some women's sportswear, which was available at the IZOD outlets and I believe at Sears (the latter which interestingly never carried the men's IZOD line). As of 2015 IZOD no longer makes or sells women's clothing other than golf clothing.

I wonder, why did the women's IZOD line fail? I know during the days when IZOD and Lacoste were one they were popular with both men and women, however, I wonder why the modern IZOD couldn't successfully market its non-golf clothes to women. Perhaps women are more likely to buy high-end designer brands than men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 09:23 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Like a lot of brands popularity ebbs and flows.
And like a lot of brands the quality went down.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:26 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Who cares and if people were smart they would quit spending so much money on alleged *designer* labels and let them all go away. I see no difference in quality of products however, I have never supported the lifestyle of any *designer* and none of them have ever received any money from me.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:34 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I see no difference in quality of products however, I have never supported the lifestyle of any *designer* and none of them have ever received any money from me.

If you've never bought any than you wouldn't realize that yes, some of the "designer" labels' quality makes it worth the few extra bucks.
For example:
Instead of buying a shirt at Target for $25 - you can buy something similar at Norstrom for $40 and yes, the Nordstrom shirt will significantly outlast the Target one.
I used to be a big fan of Target but for the most part their quality went down while their prices went up.
Several clothing items I bought at Target...after one wash... looked like they'd been washed 789 times.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
If you've never bought any than you wouldn't realize that yes, some of the "designer" labels' quality makes it worth the few extra bucks.
For example:
Instead of buying a shirt at Target for $25 - you can buy something similar at Norstrom for $40 and yes, the Nordstrom shirt will significantly outlast the Target one.
I used to be a big fan of Target but for the most part their quality went down while their prices went up.
Several clothing items I bought at Target...after one wash... looked like they'd been washed 789 times.
IZOD is a mid-range brand, priced above Walmart/Target as well as the in-house brands of JCPenney/Sears/Kohl's, but below the designer labels. I buy mostly IZOD because I feel they provide the best balance between quality and price.

$25 for a shirt at Target? Seems like a rip-off. That is a typical sale price for an IZOD polo shirt at JCPenney, Kohl's, and Macy's without coupons (MSRP is $44-$48 depending on specific style, but nobody really pays MSRP for clothes).

Old 05-04-2017, 10:52 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I wonder, why did the women's IZOD line fail?
Because from a design standpoint, their clothing is rather boring and uninteresting?

Old 05-04-2017, 10:59 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Because from a design standpoint, their clothing is rather boring and uninteresting?

Yeah...I was kind of thinking the same thing.

And for a lot of women, QUALITY isn't THAT important...or at least not as important as fashion and variety. I know that doesn't apply to all women, for sure.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:11 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Because women don't wear polo shirts anymore?

Old 05-04-2017, 11:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Not in line with majority tastes.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
All of IZOD's closest competitors (who have fairly similar preppy styles) are still producing women's clothing. IZOD's most direct competitor in terms of price is Ralph Lauren's Chaps brand, while IZOD competes more indirectly with U.S. Polo Assn on the lower end and with Nautica on the higher end.

However, what may have killed IZOD's women's line was their small retail footprint. Other than online retailers, I do believe the only stores that sold the IZOD's women's line were Sears and the IZOD outlets. With the closure of the IZOD outlets and the poor financial condition of Sears, that may have played a role in the discontinuation of the women's line. I wonder why IZOD didn't try to get JCPenney, Kohl's, or Macy's (all of which carry the men's line) to carry the women's line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty