U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:34 PM

6,894 posts, read 4,223,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I think excessive attention on appearance probably stems from a lack of interest in other things. I mean, wouldn't an intellect spend time reading or learning or experiencing something rather than shopping for designer clothes or having their hair done for hours multiple times per week?

I once heard someone say that everyone has 100%. If 90% is looks, you don't have much left over for brains.

Of course, that's not true. There are plenty of intelligent and attractive people and there are unattractive and ignorant people too.

It depends on what a person chooses or has the ability to focus on.
You do realize that being a legit model, fashion model, is a job, right? It's not like they're all glued to mirrors and at an arms-reach distance to designer boutiques all day, everyday. The attention on appearance, for things like photo shoots, commercials, ad campaigns, go-sees, auditions, etc., is part of the job, and none of this implies they don't pursue other interests outside their job like other working individuals. It's possible to model designer clothes, products, makeup, and accessories, without actually caring much about them off-the-clock.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:06 PM

4,836 posts, read 2,145,909 times
hmmm...if intelligence is gaged on a paycheck, guess they are "pretty" smart!

I personally consider "some" to be their own "brand" of marketing themselves. Meh....If that makes a person intelligent, then so be it.

I'll stick with a beautiful deed over a beautiful (perspective) face/body.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:24 PM

8,142 posts, read 7,466,203 times
It's just like any other generalization.

It's dumb and offensive.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:39 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,251,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrave View Post
So I was reading a topic about the Dani Mathers, the woman that took a nude picture of a 70 year old woman in the gym and she herself is a former playboy playmate.

It got me wondering, do you think when it comes to women that model or do something like being a playboy playmate these women may have looks but no brains? Stereotype, I know, but do you think there is any truth to it generally speaking?
I think they are probably so focused on their appearance and possibly self-love that it doesn't matter if they have brains, because they don't use them.

I had a gorgeous roommate once. What I observed is what I think often happens to such people. While growing up, everyone tells them how gorgeous they are, they can see in the mirror how gorgeous they are, they get dates because of their looks. So that is what they become all about. Makes sense. They have an asset, so they focus on that asset. It is the rare gorgeous person who disregards all of that, turns their backs on their main asset, and focuses on something else, like brains or an art form. It happens, but not often, I think.

I don't think that's wrong, to focus on one's main asset. If one is a genius, that person would focus on that asset, probably. Or if you are a natural dancer, focus on that talent. But it does seem that those who focus on their appearance asset are more shallow, for some reason.

Being beautiful does not make a person mean, though. That model who took that picture...she's just mean. And that wasn't caused by her own beauty or being a model. She's just better-than-thou and mean. Even ugly people can be mean. Kudos to the gym for banning her.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:50 PM

1,798 posts, read 977,439 times
I went to Vanderbilt University which is an elite university and the girls were mostly gorgeous and extremely smart but most elite colleges I went to the girls were ugly like Duke, Stanford and Columbia it is pretty rare for a girl to be both.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:56 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I went to Vanderbilt University which is an elite university and the girls were mostly gorgeous and extremely smart but most elite colleges I went to the girls were ugly like Duke, Stanford and Columbia it is pretty rare for a girl to be both.
Have you actually been on any of those campuses?

Because that has NOT been my experience.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:59 PM

1,798 posts, read 977,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Have you actually been on any of those campuses?

Because that has NOT been my experience.
I have family members or friends that went to all those colleges my parents went to Harvard and Columbia. Everyone in my family went to Ivy League School.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:41 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I have family members or friends that went to all those colleges my parents went to Harvard and Columbia. Everyone in my family went to Ivy League School.
So, no.

Cuz there do be plenty of hotties.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:47 PM

6,894 posts, read 4,223,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So, no.

Cuz there do be plenty of hotties.
Right? I have several attractive friends that attended elite colleges. Maybe his people just hung around a different crowd?

Old 05-17-2017, 10:35 PM

1,931 posts, read 1,159,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
You do realize that being a legit model, fashion model, is a job, right? It's not like they're all glued to mirrors and at an arms-reach distance to designer boutiques all day, everyday. The attention on appearance, for things like photo shoots, commercials, ad campaigns, go-sees, auditions, etc., is part of the job, and none of this implies they don't pursue other interests outside their job like other working individuals. It's possible to model designer clothes, products, makeup, and accessories, without actually caring much about them off-the-clock.
I didn't say anything close to what you seem to think I said. I didn't even mention models!

"I think excessive attention on appearance probably stems from a lack of interest in other things. I mean, wouldn't an intellect spend time reading or learning or experiencing something rather than shopping for designer clothes or having their hair done for hours multiple times per week?"

This is what I said.

People who excessively focus on appearance to the exclusion of other things... are probably not great intellects. They have non-intellectual interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or