U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 09:34 AM

2,478 posts, read 2,016,066 times

Advertisements

Retire and never worry about ironed clothes again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 10:01 AM

8,863 posts, read 4,829,530 times
I have a hiker's mentality. If it is wrinkled, so what? In theory, a few hours of wear will take them out.....but I never held a stop watch to test that theory.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:25 AM

2,608 posts, read 1,114,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Retire and never worry about ironed clothes again.

That's us. But also, don't work in an office and never iron. I've never ironed since I left my childhood home at 19. I had semi-nice uniform shirts and just smoothed them out with my hands (no dryer) and let them air-dry. I know others ironed them, but I never did. Looked just as good....

My husband doesn't own a dress shirt, LOL.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:35 AM

4,236 posts, read 3,030,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I tried using a Con Air steamer but it requires that a buy distilled water. Plus using the Con Air steamer takes too long to get the wrinkles out. It gets pretty cumbersome.

Whats the best and most convenient way to get wrinkles out of dress shirts?
Other than sending your shirts out for cleaning, I don't think there's anything besides ironing, if you want to look crisp.

I like to look polished. To get that look, I iron everything to make sure my silhouette and outfit look smooth and neat. I don't wear wrinkle-free fabrics, so my clothing shows wrinkles after washing, or after it's been folded in a drawer. Therefore, it has to be ironed. That's just how it is.

My clothing lasts a very long time, despite ironing. So I don't think occasional ironing significantly shortens their lifetime. If it has, I'm not concerned since I generally get 10-20+ years worth of wear from my clothes.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:25 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,482,545 times
Ironing is bad for clothes, really ?

Walking around looking like you slept in your clothes IMO is worse.

I wouldn't let my husband out of the house to work in an un-ironed shirt or pants, I even iron jeans and most definitely t-shirts and blouses not to mention pillow cases and sheets. I even *gasp* use starch ! My ironing time is my down time, it gives me time to stand and think and wonder and daydream a little, it only takes me an hour or so to do the weeks ironing so its not like I'm giving up whole days slogging away with a hot iron at the board.

I bought a small steamer to take on vacation but found it really doesn't do the job properly, most hotels still supply irons and ironing boards or will lend you one if you ask.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:37 AM

27,181 posts, read 11,359,293 times
I've never heard that ironing is bad for your clothes..that's a new one! I iron, it's in my blood my french grandparents owned a laundry in San Francisco so I learned to iron when I was 4 or 5 and I still iron. I love cotton clothing and it's sometimes hard to get away without ironing it but I've never considered it a particular burden. I use tap water in my iron, if it gets calcium build up I just hit the steam surge button and it forces the deposits out of the iron, I've had the same iron for about 15 years and it's still going strong

Old 05-21-2017, 11:40 AM

14,509 posts, read 11,489,335 times
I dont particularly like ironing like most women so iron as I go.. each day... I cant stand with a big basketful of clothes like some do and iron for hours, its draining... I had a friend who had an ironing day......oh the thought of it. makes me tired... on holiday I roll everything into the suitcase.. as things seem to keep in better shape that way.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:49 AM

8,652 posts, read 4,788,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Ironing is bad for clothes, really ?

Walking around looking like you slept in your clothes IMO is worse.

I wouldn't let my husband out of the house to work in an un-ironed shirt or pants, I even iron jeans and most definitely t-shirts and blouses not to mention pillow cases and sheets. I even *gasp* use starch ! My ironing time is my down time, it gives me time to stand and think and wonder and daydream a little, it only takes me an hour or so to do the weeks ironing so its not like I'm giving up whole days slogging away with a hot iron at the board.

I bought a small steamer to take on vacation but found it really doesn't do the job properly, most hotels still supply irons and ironing boards or will lend you one if you ask.
Same here, I find it relaxing. Sunday evening I spend maybe an hour ironing my and my husband's work clothes for the week, random stuff that the kids may need pressed, hang them up neatly and we're set for the week.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:52 AM

91 posts, read 33,276 times
Ironing is not bad for shirts as far as I know. I do a have a trick with ironed shirts that gets wrinkled when you pack it into a suitcase -- I take a shower with them and the wrinkles would be gone.

I iron my own shirts because I'm too lazy to go to the dry cleaner ...

Old 05-21-2017, 12:28 PM

13,031 posts, read 7,199,948 times
Iron? OMG kill me now. I either get things out of the washer as soon as it's done, shake them out, and hang them up wet, or they go in the dryer for about ten minutes and then hang them up. Actually I don't even have an iron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or