U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 12:35 PM

17,993 posts, read 17,140,226 times

Advertisements

Ironing isn't bad for clothing.

I usually buy knits or tops that are made of T shirt type cotton so I don't need to iron very much. I try to make it easier by sticking to 3 items at a time, max. It gets much too boring after that. I refuse to invest in a steamer for the small amount of ironing I do, and sending clothes to a dry cleaner is too expensive. We are retired but when we were working I did the ironing and just kept the ironing board set up--with a tv in front of it!

Old 05-21-2017, 12:39 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,059,922 times
After learning to iron meticulously as a young adult, I finally got smart and banned things from both our wardrobes that would wrinkle. I never picked up an iron from one year to the next, for about 20 years, maybe more.

But lately (we're retired now) I've decided I love the Oxford shirts made from nice thick cotton, and if I don't grab the thing out of the dryer immediately it has to be ironed. I don't mind, though, because it looks so nice when ironed. My husband now has the odd shirt also that has to be ironed, so these get done - at least the fronts, sleeves, and anything else that might show when worn.

I never heard that ironing is bad for clothes, and don't really believe it. Washing and drying by machine probably take more life out of clothes than ironing. Where else does all that lint come from if not from the clothes we put in those machines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 12:41 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times
You iron them.

Everything is bad for clothes. Wearing, washing, drying, ironing. Using clothes wears them out. That's why we periodically have to buy new clothes. Everything you do with and to clothing is slowly wearing them out.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:42 PM

72,672 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Why would ironing be bad for clothes?

Old 05-21-2017, 01:01 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Ironing is bad for clothes, really ?
I think that was made up by people looking for an excuse not to iron. Because wearing and washing clothes is bad for them, too ...

Sure, ironing is bad for your clothes if you use too hot of an iron on synthetics and melt the fabric.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:11 PM

8,652 posts, read 4,786,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
After learning to iron meticulously as a young adult, I finally got smart and banned things from both our wardrobes that would wrinkle. I never picked up an iron from one year to the next, for about 20 years, maybe more.

But lately (we're retired now) I've decided I love the Oxford shirts made from nice thick cotton, and if I don't grab the thing out of the dryer immediately it has to be ironed. I don't mind, though, because it looks so nice when ironed.My husband now has the odd shirt also that has to be ironed, so these get done - at least the fronts, sleeves, and anything else that might show when worn.

I never heard that ironing is bad for clothes, and don't really believe it. Washing and drying by machine probably take more life out of clothes than ironing. Where else does all that lint come from if not from the clothes we put in those machines?
Yeah, that's the thing: my husband wears oxford shirts most days, and you can tell the difference between one that is fresh out of the dryer and one that has been ironed (although, I guess that may depend on the fabric). Same with his dress pants and my woven cotton shirts and dresses: taking a few minutes per item makes them look so much better.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:26 PM

12,652 posts, read 12,071,712 times
I always iron, I do not hardly ever use the dryer, dry hang everything.

Ironing makes things look better, I use to do the "out of the dryer thing", but it was never as sharp looking as ironing.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:47 PM

18,850 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Where did you get the idea that ironing is bad for clothes? Sure 100% poly or nylon should not be ironed, but most cotton blends can be ironed, and wool can be steamed.

I have greatly reduced ironing of knits by pulling them damp from the warm dryer, and hanging them to finish drying. For 100% cotton, I either iron the plackets, collars and cuffs and call it fine, or I iron the entire shirt. It depends on the look I want.

Even if you leave a knit in the dryer too long and it comes out wrinkled, you can hang it and spritz it with water until the shirt is wetter than damp, and then let it air dry. The wrinkles will fall out.

If you need to look corporate, then I'd get my shirts commercially laundered and pressed. I think they do a better job than anyone using a home iron.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:47 PM

13,362 posts, read 7,121,412 times
Who said ironing is bad for clothes? You have to use the right temp and pay enough attention to not scorch something...that's easy. Most of my things don't require ironing because I take things out of the dryer promptly...but some fabrics are harder than others - like cotton and linen.

I only iron a few things and also use a steamer on lighter weight blouses if needed - a steamer won't work on heavier fabrics. Sometimes ya just gotta do it...no biggie if you pick out your clothes the night before and don't get surprised.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:03 PM

7,971 posts, read 3,869,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I think that was made up by people looking for an excuse not to iron. Because wearing and washing clothes is bad for them, too ...

Sure, ironing is bad for your clothes if you use too hot of an iron on synthetics and melt the fabric.
I don't need an excuse not to iron. I just choose not to.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or