U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 09:27 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,111,757 times

Advertisements

OP, where did you get the idea that ironing was bad for clothes? A bunch of us are curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 11:58 PM

7,588 posts, read 1,750,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I tried using a Con Air steamer but it requires that a buy distilled water. Plus using the Con Air steamer takes too long to get the wrinkles out. It gets pretty cumbersome.

Whats the best and most convenient way to get wrinkles out of dress shirts?
I use ConAir with tap water. No problems. Just got the cheap model.

After you wash your shirts take them out of the dryer while still damp so they don't get as wrinkled.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:36 AM

4,934 posts, read 2,562,297 times
"If ironing is bad for clothes, then how do you get the wrinkle out of shirts?"

Never heard of such a thing. I think putting clothes in the dryer is bad.

I probably iron everyday. Normally takes less than a minute to take the wrinkles out of a piece of clothing.
I have a Rowenta--$$$ it is pricey, but a very good iron that takes the pain out of ironing.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:32 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
I wash clothes in the washer, dry 'em on the line <gasp> and iron stuff that's wrinkled. If ironing is bad for clothes, mine don't seem to know it.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:41 AM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would ironing be bad for clothes?
I'm guessing that came from the fact that they put elastic in every last thing these days. If there's no elastic in your garment then iron away if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I wash clothes in the washer, dry 'em on the line <gasp> and iron stuff that's wrinkled. If ironing is bad for clothes, mine don't seem to know it.
Same here and I enjoy every step of the routine. The trick to getting clothes wrinkle free off the clothesline is giving them a good shake before you hang them up. (I'm directing that at those who don't line dry--I know you know that kevxu!)

I think folks could learn to enjoy life more if they didn't think of chores as tiresome. Personally I think it's fun to take a wrinkled shirt and make it look new again but then I do have a strange sense of fun, as my students love to point out.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:25 AM

7,964 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I'm guessing that came from the fact that they put elastic in every last thing these days. If there's no elastic in your garment then iron away if you wish.
I believe you mean lycra or spandex?
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 05-22-2017, 08:40 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,480,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I believe you mean lycra or spandex?
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Lycra and Spandex are brand names for an elasticized fabric. Items like yoga pants, sports tops don't typically require ironing however I have jeans that have elastic that I do iron.

Most of my clothes are natural fibers (cotton, linen) that benefit from ironing which helps to lay the fibers flat and also look much nicer than the just out of the dryer look.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:06 PM

6,274 posts, read 3,573,356 times
If you get them out of the Dryer immediately and hang them up many times they don't really need ironing.
^And like she said if you take them to the Dry Cleaner they are going to look way better any way.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:23 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That's us. But also, don't work in an office and never iron. I've never ironed since I left my childhood home at 19. I had semi-nice uniform shirts and just smoothed them out with my hands (no dryer) and let them air-dry. I know others ironed them, but I never did. Looked just as good....

My husband doesn't own a dress shirt, LOL.

you live in a cave??

never have to go to a funeral ...wake.. wedding??

Old 05-22-2017, 12:26 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

Same here and I enjoy every step of the routine. The trick to getting clothes wrinkle free off the clothesline is giving them a good shake before you hang them up. (I'm directing that at those who don't line dry--I know you know that kevxu!)

I think folks could learn to enjoy life more if they didn't think of chores as tiresome. Personally I think it's fun to take a wrinkled shirt and make it look new again but then I do have a strange sense of fun, as my students love to point out.
great post!!

you don't see the clotheslines with clothes hanging off as when we did when growing up..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or