U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 02:08 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,461,204 times

Advertisements

Ironing isn't passe, it's just that they're are many more clothing options that don't requite it than, say, two generations ago.

I own virtually nothing outside of a few seldom-won peices of formal wear that requite it. My husband needs to iron most of his work uniforms (military, so not NWUS or PT gear, but everything else. He's WAY better at ironing than I am. I literally never do it.

I've never known ironing to damage anything, and husband has been ironing Navy dress whites, dress blues, and chief's khakis for about 16 years and counting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 02:24 PM

72,932 posts, read 64,373,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
great post!!

you don't see the clotheslines with clothes hanging off as when we did when growing up..
I certainly see that, and I hang clothes out to dry, myself. I love the fresh-air smell they get, when line-dried outside. Maybe Maine's climate isn't conducive to that? In the arid Southwest, clothes, even jeans, dry faster outside than in the dryer.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:30 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,461,204 times
My mom only line dries clothes.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:29 PM

291 posts, read 128,278 times
I haven't ironed in about 20 years. If I need to get rid of wrinkles I put it in the dryer on a steam refresh button while I get ready and it looks like it's straight from the cleaners. That is usually done on clothes that have been in the closet for a long time ( silk, wool etc) or I have worn once and I want to wear it again

Old 05-22-2017, 04:11 PM

18,329 posts, read 11,728,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I tried using a Con Air steamer but it requires that a buy distilled water. Plus using the Con Air steamer takes too long to get the wrinkles out. It gets pretty cumbersome.

Whats the best and most convenient way to get wrinkles out of dress shirts?

Properly ironing textiles does *NOT* harm things. Where did you get that information?

Key word is "properly" which means using proper heat setting and technique for material being ironed.

[dailymotion]x9vu7i_comment-repasser-une-chemise-en-2-53mn-vite-et-bien_lifestyle[/dailymotion]

Old 05-22-2017, 06:08 PM

9,473 posts, read 16,442,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I certainly see that, and I hang clothes out to dry, myself. I love the fresh-air smell they get, when line-dried outside. Maybe Maine's climate isn't conducive to that? In the arid Southwest, clothes, even jeans, dry faster outside than in the dryer.
A lot of neighborhood associations won't allow them. Apparently it's too demeaning to have to see your neighbor's panties flying in the wind.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:35 PM

5,467 posts, read 4,592,797 times
I don't particularly like to iron, but I do it every Sunday and iron enough outfits for the week. I like the crispness and body I get when I iron, using spray starch. I find putting some music on and getting started it goes pretty smoothly....it's getting motivated to get the ironing board and iron out and getting started that is the hardest part.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:32 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,080,394 times
The only iron I own is strictly for my quilting. I do NOT iron clothing. Period. If it's wrinkled, then pop it in the dryer.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:44 PM

3,982 posts, read 3,557,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Why?
Because he can iron his own damn shirts, probably.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:47 PM

3,982 posts, read 3,557,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Ironing is bad for clothes, really ?

Walking around looking like you slept in your clothes IMO is worse.

I wouldn't let my husband out of the house to work in an un-ironed shirt or pants, I even iron jeans and most definitely t-shirts and blouses not to mention pillow cases and sheets. I even *gasp* use starch ! My ironing time is my down time, it gives me time to stand and think and wonder and daydream a little, it only takes me an hour or so to do the weeks ironing so its not like I'm giving up whole days slogging away with a hot iron at the board.

I bought a small steamer to take on vacation but found it really doesn't do the job properly, most hotels still supply irons and ironing boards or will lend you one if you ask.
...coocoo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or