Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 10:34 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
So if I boil the tap water before I put it in the steamer, I should be safe?
Sorry if I missed it, but what is it about ironing that you think is harmful? How would boiling the water help?

If anything, boiling the water would cause some of the water to be lost to steam, and would concentrate the minerals making the water harder and more likely to crud up your iron. Buy distilled water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 12:49 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Wrinkle resistant clothes. I won't say they come out looking as good as a well starched shirt will, don't have the feel of a quality untreated cotton shirt, but you can through them in the dryer, pull them out, and hang them up and they're acceptable.

Pants are less of an issue. I don't have to iron my wool pants that often. Eventually you get a persistent wrinkle that just doesn't fall out from hanging but it's not like shirts where you are washing them after every wear and need to iron them each time.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:53 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but what is it about ironing that you think is harmful? How would boiling the water help?

If anything, boiling the water would cause some of the water to be lost to steam, and would concentrate the minerals making the water harder and more likely to crud up your iron. Buy distilled water.
Or don't.

I've never bothered with distilled water in an iron and I've never had an issue. I don't iron all that much, maybe 1-2 shirts a week and touching up suits here and there. Been using the same iron since I graduated college. But yeah, boiling it would just make it worse. If you've got bacteria in your water, there's bigger concerns than your iron.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:41 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
So if I boil the tap water before I put it in the steamer, I should be safe?

Distilled water is that which has been turned into vapor (steam) and then condensed back into water. Boiling water does nothing and would likely make things worse.

Purpose of distillation is to leave most if not all impurities in water behind as it is turned into vapor. When condensed back into a liquid the resulting water should be more pure than it was originally. Boiling alone only drives off much or all of the water (depending how long it is allowed to go on), in form of steam, but the remaining liquid would be of a higher concentration of impurities.

If you've ever boiled "clean" water in a pot and found residue along sides; that is what we're talking about here.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:54 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've known people who routinely wear ironed, creased jeans, and I think it looks ridiculous.

Then stay out of places like Texas, where ironed and starched jeans are and have been pretty normal for ages. In fact it is the only way some people will wear their blue jeans.

In general however you want to be careful when asking for "heavy" or "stiff" starch from some laundries or dry cleaners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HxslUBrJvA

Old 05-31-2017, 01:13 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Ironing clothing is hard on it. Washing clothing is also hard on it. Wearing clothing is hard on it.

Wear your clothing. Wash it. If it needs ironing, iron it. It will eventually wear out. That's what happens.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:03 PM

115 posts, read 91,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Ironing clothing is hard on it. Washing clothing is also hard on it. Wearing clothing is hard on it.

Wear your clothing. Wash it. If it needs ironing, iron it. It will eventually wear out. That's what happens.
No, I don't believe it. It's not possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty