U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 04:09 PM

1,254 posts, read 512,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's just you.
Times two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Khaki is just the fabric so to say that "khaki pants" are ugly doesn't make much sense. There are a lot of different styles of pants that can be made from khaki fabric - which can also be different shades and weight.
I'll agree that khaki can be a fabric, but in the U.K. khaki is first and foremost a colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's just you.

Don't like 'em, don't wear 'em. It's as simple as that.
Can't argue with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
It's just you. There's nothing wrong with khakis.
And we're back to how I see it, no pleats, but turn-ups, (cuffs to you guys), and two back pockets.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 06:56 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That depends on whether they're khaki khakis, or navy khakis, or maroon, or black.
There's no such thing as navy khakis, or any other color of khaki. Khaki is a color, or clothing made in that color.

Definition of khaki
1a : a khaki-colored cloth made usually of cotton or wool and used especially for military uniforms
b : a garment of this cloth; especially : a military uniform —usually used in plural
2: a light yellowish brown

Did You Know?
In the mid-19th century, units of the British Indian Army applied the Hindi word khāki, “dust-colored, brown,” to the color of a uniform cloth. Dull brown uniforms were preferred because they did not show dirt, but the major reason that all colonial units of the British Army eventually adopted them was because they made excellent camouflage. Today we typically associate khaki with fashionable casualness and a summery look rather than British military uniforms

Origin and Etymology of khaki
Hindi & Urdu khākī dust-colored, from khāk dust, from Persian

First Known Use: 1857

Old 05-25-2017, 08:00 PM

2,490 posts, read 4,556,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmadness77 View Post
I don't know why, but I absolutely a CAN NOT stand khaki pants, I think they look ugly, weird, and look lame. it's like when I see people wear them I cringe!
anyone else feel this way? I always thought jeans were much better IMO
Khakis are 100x better than jeans. They are much more stylish. Jeans are ok for painting the house or mowing the lawn only.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:17 AM

21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Sorry, cannot agree. Pleats, cuffs, and back pockets, thank you. Long sleeve blue shirt (button down). I even go to jazz clubs and movies dressed like that. I may throw a leather vest over the shirt after hours. Works for me.
Pleated, cuffed khakis and a leather vest? That's certainly...an outfit.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:30 PM

2,276 posts, read 925,357 times
I don't like them, either.

You can thank "business casual" for these monstrosities, lol.

I generally stick with black dress pants, cargo pants, and jeans at work. My workplace allows us to wear jeans full-time unless we are getting company from corporate.

I've seen very few people who can actually look good in khaki pants, though.

The worst ones are the ones with the pleats in them. They automatically add about 10 lbs, especially if you are shorter and curvier.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:41 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Pleats for all of you!

I'm not too keen on the really light colored khakis.

Why can't they really put out there wrinkle free pants for women like they do for men? Is that because I supposedly don't mind ironing? I hate those clothes that wrinkle no matter what you do---they just EXIST wrinkled.

Okay, continue complaining about khakis.
My husband puts his khakis in the dryer and hangs them immediately after. He doesn't need to iron them.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:43 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I don't like them, either.

You can thank "business casual" for these monstrosities, lol.

I generally stick with black dress pants, cargo pants, and jeans at work. My workplace allows us to wear jeans full-time unless we are getting company from corporate.

I've seen very few people who can actually look good in khaki pants, though.

The worst ones are the ones with the pleats in them. They automatically add about 10 lbs, especially if you are shorter and curvier.
How are these better than khakis?

Old 05-28-2017, 07:23 AM

3,576 posts, read 1,066,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmadness77 View Post
is it just me, or are khkai pants really ugly?
It's probably not just you, but it is you

Ugliness, like beauty, is in the mind of the beholder - not a trait inherent in an object.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:57 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
I think they suck on women. I remember in the 90sand early 200@s having them as a wardrobe staple. Now I look back on pics and cringe.

It is really hard to get a great fitting pair for any gender. It is really easy for them to look sloppy. Not my fave look but some people pull them off.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:39 AM

21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think they suck on women. I remember in the 90sand early 200@s having them as a wardrobe staple. Now I look back on pics and cringe.
I flash back to my first retail job as a teenager where the uniform was khakis and a polo shirt. That is not a good look on me (or maybe anyone.) I felt like I was in suburban dad drag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty