U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 03:02 AM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times

Advertisements

Sure, we have all heard the term business casual. For men, I have a fairly clear picture of it - sort of preppy, khakis, chinos, polo shirts, Sperrys (Topsider boat shoes) loafers.

No sneakers. Jeans. Or Tees. No Oxfords, ties, or suits. - Jackets? Depends.

With women, I don't think the demarcations are so clear. Women don't wear ties. We can wear dresses that are quite casual. And jeans that are dressy paired with high healed sandals and a dressier top.

I must attend a business conference at the end of the Summer where "Business casual" was recomeded. I find my self at a loss as to what to wear.

In the summer, I tend to wear shorts, sandals, ballet flats, and sun dresses. At night I wear jeans a lot.
Sometimes skinny ankle length slacks with ballet flats, sandals and a ballet top with 3/4 sleeves. I'll often wear a well cared for denim or white denim jacket.

I also wear shift type dresses. Or Summer skirts.

I don't wear polo shirts or golf shirts, capri pants, khakis, mom jeans, long ankle length shirts or dresses. I look bad in them. Ditto anything "flowy" or "voluminous". Bohemian clothes or Chicos type clothes look wonderful on others - but they overwhelm me.

Any suggestions? I guess I need to leave my denim jackets at home - no matter what the color.

Will skinny (non jeans) look inappropriate or unprofessional?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 03:44 AM

1,301 posts, read 4,493,858 times
In my profession, business casual is never causal. Typically, men take off the tie and keep the jacket. Women ditch a suit to wear a business type dress. I would opt for a dress with dressy type shoes and accessories.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:43 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,892,348 times
If you're slender, a pencil skirt with a tucked-in blouse and a belt, or a thin sweater would be the right look. Your skinny slacks and your white denim jacket would probably work too, with a thin shirt untucked under the jacket, but the shirt not longer than the jacket. If you're curvier than average, a tunic top with slacks or a skirt that's at least knee-length works.

Look on Pinterest for "women's business casual" and you'll get lots of ideas. Once you know what you're looking for, you might check out some thrift stores. They've always got clothes like that, and that way you won't spend a lot on outfits you're not going to wear again.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:39 AM

1,139 posts, read 671,434 times
I don't know... As a man, I always found men's suits very stuffy. I do admire Mark Zuckerburg in that he never wears a suit! Yuck to suits! I never go anywhere after work around in a suit! I only wear suits in job interviews!

But you women are so blessed with so many styles to choose from! Yeah, there are so many dresses to wear! Just don't wear an evening gown or anything to "girly girly" to work. Or a nice blouse and skirt or pants would be ok.

Oh, but men? A polo shirt is a polo shirt is a polo shirt which hasn't changed much in style since the 1970's!

Old 05-24-2017, 06:40 AM

7,975 posts, read 3,874,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If you're slender, a pencil skirt with a tucked-in blouse and a belt, or a thin sweater would be the right look. Your skinny slacks and your white denim jacket would probably work too, with a thin shirt untucked under the jacket, but the shirt not longer than the jacket. If you're curvier than average, a tunic top with slacks or a skirt that's at least knee-length works.
Why can't the shirt be longer than the jacket? I intentionally wear my shirts longer than my jacket.

Like this ...

Old 05-24-2017, 06:44 AM

21,137 posts, read 22,112,687 times
No to "dressy" jeans. If jeans are not ok for the men then they're not ok for women either. I'd also skip sundresses (picturing bare shoulders/spaghetti straps). A casual dress with flat shoes, skinny, non-denim pants with a blouse and flats would both be fine. I agree you should leave the denim jackets at home - regardless of how well cared for they are. Business casual is not vacation-wear. Get a cute non-denim jacket or sweater if you'd like something to wear over a top or blouse.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:10 AM

4,784 posts, read 4,667,418 times
I actually think the picture hertford posted would be a nice outfit for the occasion. Ha.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:28 AM

212 posts, read 86,126 times
Anything pretty much goes where I work except flip flops, shorts, "night club" attire, spaghetti strapped shirts, and really low cut tops. I do wear comfortable sandals a lot though. We have no dress code. I wear them because I'm regularly running around all over our building (no stairs), running around outside, and outside in the sun for 2 hours. It's definitely too casual but I feel comfortable in it and that I could do my job more effectively if I'm comfortable. Our 2 admin assistants wear these cute little dresses everyday and spiked high heels. I would dress like that too if the only walking I had to do was between getting to the office and parking and where I just sit at a desk all day. I'm so thankful to have no dress code. We do have 1 day a week where I'm not all over the place. That's when I dress a bit nicer.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:27 AM

15,826 posts, read 18,446,953 times
When I did a search online for women's business casual there were lots of links. Here is just one https://www.pinterest.com/explore/su...siness-casual/

Old 05-24-2017, 10:05 AM

1,139 posts, read 671,434 times
Actually, I went to Chicago's Downtown several times, and nowadays so many people are "Business Casual..." That's kinda awesome! Because I think they also do hang out Downtown after work and eat at restaurants or hang around the places around there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or