U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 05:08 PM

4,649 posts, read 3,016,696 times

Advertisements

If you're talking about tank tops, they're quite stylish and not cheap.

I wear them, even now at 73, purely because of ego. Still look good in them. Just bought three more, various colors, from Champion apparel co.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 04:00 AM

11,304 posts, read 5,834,479 times
They keep all the gold chains and bling from hitting you in the face when you're doing something active.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:12 AM

10,380 posts, read 7,467,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Dudes who walk around in "wife beaters" are pretty much guaranteed to be of the lower class, lower I.Q., and lower educated types.
Wow. Way to generalize. My 24 yr old son wears tanks in the heat of summer when appropriate. He likes black or gray over white. He wears them under his work shirts, too, all year round. (No chest hair)

On a well built man they look good. My son's a bean pole with broad shoulders.

I don't like the term "wife beaters" but that seems to have stuck.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:20 AM

18,238 posts, read 11,645,412 times
You people should learn how to research...

Now listen; you might learn something.

Tank top undershirts or whatever were and are still called "athletic shirts" and came about during the 19th century. Men who were "athletic" such as gymnasts preferred and liked the cut of sleeveless shirts because of the freedom of arm movements they offered over traditional under vests or shirts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeveless_shirt

Fast forward a few years and the "A" shirt became popular in southern European countries especially Italy with working class/poor men.

Given the climate both as an undershirt and or worn alone the sleeveless "athletic" shirt became preferred by many southern Italian men. Economics also factored into this as well. Most people then only owned very few items of clothing, thus a man could have perhaps two or three dress shirts. Better to keep them for occasions that required "dressing up" such as church, weddings, funerals, etc... than wear them out by wearing them every day. T-shirts are far easier to launder and don't require ironing.

Also consider laundry was a three or four day affair back then with all the work done by hand. It was hot, hard work that often wasn't very easy on clothing. All that beating, rubbing on washboards and hot heavy irons probably did more to wear out clothing than wearing them did.

The term "wife beater" became associated with athletic shirts in 1947 via James Hartford, Jr., who was arrested in Detroit, Michigan for beating his wife to death. The gruesome crime and subsequent trail was a huge nationwide media event (hey, entertainment was where you found it back then).

News media repeatedly ran the picture of Mr. Hartford, Jr. being arrested wearing a dirty and stained (with baked beans) athletic T-shirt with a caption "the Wife-Beater".

Wife beaters further were cemented into the lexicon in 1947 because that is also the year Streetcar Named Desire opened on Broadway in NYC. If you've seen the play or film working class Stanley Kowalski is either in a wife beater or T-shirt.

Through the 1950's into the 1950's and beyond Hollywood and other media firmly cemented the "wife beater" tank top with working class and or poor men. That and or y muscular and with a bit of sexual bravado thrown in (again think of Marlon Brando as Stanley Kowalski, or Warren Beatty as "Bud Stamper" in Splendor In The Grass).

In the 1970's with films like The Godfather and other media focusing on Italian-Americans the wife beater became the "Guinea tee", something that would be cemented with the most recent "Jersey Shore" program.

In the 1970's same tank top became associated with the whole fitness craze that began sweeping the USA including body building; hence the "muscle tee".

By about the 1980's you started to see the whole "muscle tee" or "guinea tee" thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFgAORdRUf4

Old 05-27-2017, 10:42 AM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
When I was a little kid we called them the 'guinea tee', but I preferred a regular white undershirt so I could roll a pack of Marlboros up in the sleeve.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:56 AM

1,305 posts, read 548,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If the guy has a great body I certainly get the appeal. :-)
LOL. Exactly! If a guy that's built wants to wear one, then I'm certainly not going to complain...

Old 05-27-2017, 12:24 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Wow. Way to generalize. My 24 yr old son wears tanks in the heat of summer when appropriate. He likes black or gray over white. He wears them under his work shirts, too, all year round. (No chest hair)

On a well built man they look good. My son's a bean pole with broad shoulders.

I don't like the term "wife beaters" but that seems to have stuck.
But only among lower class, lower I.Q., and lower educated types.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:49 PM

490 posts, read 195,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
LOL. Exactly! If a guy that's built wants to wear one, then I'm certainly not going to complain...
Ugh! I cannot tolerate all this female, chauvinistic sexism. I'm going to my safe space to hide.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:01 PM

1,305 posts, read 548,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
Ugh! I cannot tolerate all this female, chauvinistic sexism. I'm going to my safe space to hide.
REAL men don't hide.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:55 AM

597 posts, read 311,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
It appears to me that most are not understanding the OP's reason for asking.

I believe the OP is actually asking why anyone would wear this as an undershirt, when they don't cover the armpits where it should be protecting the outer shirt from sweat stains ....
This^^^^^^^^^^is what I was asking. I shouldn't have included the pic of Nick Cage as it just confused the issue. Luckily, a Mod helpfully snipped it out for me!

I wear regular t shirts under button down shirts to keep sweat off the nicer shirt. But I see men wearing wife-beater t shirts under dress shirts and with suits and I don't get it.

I get the argument that they offer more freedom of movement, but that will be minimized if you have a dress shirt over it, even more so if you're wearing a suit.

I wear a sleeveless T when I'm working out, for just that reason....for freedom of movement. But I don't have anything on over it. And I don't wear wife beaters (or A shirts), because I just don't like the look. Just a regular t shirt without sleeves.

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or