U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 07:49 PM

3,189 posts, read 1,280,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As far I know plantar fasciitis can't be be cured as it is a falling arch. Exercises and massage therapy can help but not completely get rid of the issue. For closed shoes one can wear custom-made orthotics (which I have) but they can't be used with open sandals. In general I prefer something that has straps in the back (which rules out traditional Birkenstocks) with a (very) low heel/wedge that is easy to walk around with but dressy enough for a casual work outfit. Also moderately priced means below $100 (which would be the max. I could afford to spend).
Look at the link I posted and read some of the information. Prolotherapy is what pro athletes gets when they get injured or have issues with their tendons and joints. The thing is, like with everything, you have to try to improve every facet of your health to optimize healing, but it does expedite the process according to evidence.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 08:53 PM

38 posts, read 17,532 times
Dansko to get through the worst pain, then Naot. Now Think!, and sketchers.
I agree that Dansko can feel heavy after a day or 2.i found an ortho after trying over 6 others who did me the most good. He casted my foot with a rocker bottom for 6 weeks. Didn't slow me down from 10 hour standing work days. He explained the benefits of shoes with a rocker bottom and started me with Dansko which I felt were heavy.Since then Dansko has lightened them and some cute styles(at least for comfort style shoes) That was over 20 years ago, and have no problems as long as I stick to the rocker bottom.currently,finding cute sketchers super comfortable and inexpensive.
I am only now ready to throw out my Danskos due to the footbed wearing down.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:43 PM

41,094 posts, read 32,773,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I had horrible PF for years. I had a custom orthotic made which I wore for years, and I once had shots in my feet. Nothing really cured me until I happened to find Birkenstock 3/4 arch support inserts. At first I tried to wear them in any shoe that would accommodate them , but later I simply wore them in my athletic shoes as I walked treadmill. Those inserts ultimately relieved my pain. I still wear them in my shoes when I go to the gym. I swear by them.

I cannot wear regular Birkenstock shoes, although I wish I could. But I feel like they would be quite comfy if I could.

Most comfort shoes do not have enough arch support for me. I often add extra into my shoes. There are many supports out there, and I have bought quite a few through the years.

I can't wear Born shoes because they don't come in size 10 1/2. If I can't get a 101/2, then I'm sunk. Most often I can get a shoe to fit if it uses Euro sizing.

I wear Keen, Wolky, Chaco, Altria, Pikolinos, and occasionally Merrill and Dansko. I pad these to fit. The most comfortable pair of shoes I've owned recently are a pair of Keen Presidios that I added extra support to. Loved the wide toe box. Love the shoe.

I shop mostly from Zappos. Zappos has been a life saver for me. If you have a local comfort shoe store, start there. But after you learn to fit yourself, order from Zappos. Doing so will greatly expand the universes of shoes available to you.
Just wanted to point out that Born shoes DO come in Euro sizing. All mine are Euro sizes in fact though I know you can buy them in American sizing, especially online. But even in the stores around here, Borns are sized in Euro sizing.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Yes, they are holistic, which is why sports teams send million dollar athletes, which are essential assets, to get PRP which is a form of prolotherapy, but leave the peons like us to get joint replacements because that's what most doctors know.

One helps your body to use its own processes to permanently heal itself and the other one replaces your limb. Which one sounds "alternative" to you?

I understand that there are often multiple issues at play, which is exactly why a combination of prolotherapy and perineural injection therapy is so effective. It addresses those "specific" areas.

Home | Dr. Reeves Prolotherapy | Specializing in prolotherapy, perineural injections and topical application, chronic pain relief, severe arthritis, severe fibromyalgia, rehabilitation therapy, regenerative injection therapy, treatment studies.
Just for some perspective, massage and fasting would have NEVER healed my PF because the issue is my Achilles tendon, which was severely damaged and will always, always be problematic. Fasting and massage won't take care of the scar tissue that causes my damaged Achilles tendon to draw up and create PF. Sure, massage feels good (I've had it done specifically on that foot) but what works for me is ice, compression socks, and lots of stretching and ROM exercises.

Thank goodness I've never had to have any sort of injection. Now that I know the early symptoms I just break out the frozen water bottle and start doing my ROM stretches. I can now nip it in the bud thankfully.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
As far I know plantar fasciitis can't be be cured as it is a falling arch. Exercises and massage therapy can help but not completely get rid of the issue. For closed shoes one can wear custom-made orthotics (which I have) but they can't be used with open sandals. In general I prefer something that has straps in the back (which rules out traditional Birkenstocks) with a (very) low heel/wedge that is easy to walk around with but dressy enough for a casual work outfit. Also moderately priced means below $100 (which would be the max. I could afford to spend).
Not all PF is caused by a falling arch. Neither of my arches are fallen, but my Achilles tendon issues pull at whatever that sheath is that is involved in PF and that's what causes it for me.

Consequently, I can't wear many shoes with straps across the Achilles tendon, though I can wear some that have low straps. No gladiator sandals for me! Or any of those cute sandals that zip up the back. Oddly, I can wear most boots though.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
How did mine cure? That's what I did. Where is your evidence? That link I presented has plenty of supporting evidence.

Please don't be ignorant because others could find this useful and change their lives. It's not your right to speak ignorance and potentially take away something that could cure somebody.
It's not your right to assume that your individual health issue and subsequent success with a particular treatment means that that treatment is a fit for everyone else and anyone who doesn't believe that is ignorant.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:14 AM

30,378 posts, read 31,251,406 times
Quote:
Look at the link I posted and read some of the information. Prolotherapy is what pro athletes gets when they get injured or have issues with their tendons and joints. The thing is, like with everything, you have to try to improve every facet of your health to optimize healing, but it does expedite the process according to evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not all PF is caused by a falling arch. Neither of my arches are fallen, but my Achilles tendon issues pull at whatever that sheath is that is involved in PF and that's what causes it for me.
I didn't realize that plantar fasciitis can be caused by so many different issues/reasons. Any way, in my case I have had the symptoms on and off for a few years (and periodically I do some appropriate exercises). I already on my second pair of custom-made orthotics which work well with closed/laced above the ankle shoes. But these shoes are much too warm to wear in the summer months outdoors and the old sandals that I have are too worn out to give me the support I need and the place that they came from is now closed and the brand doesn't exist any more. Therefore I decided to ask people here and am very appreciative of everyone's input. BTW, another side effect if I don't have the right foot/sole support is that it makes my arthritic knee/s worse as the alignment is off.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I didn't realize that plantar fasciitis can be caused by so many different issues/reasons. Any way, in my case I have had the symptoms on and off for a few years (and periodically I do some appropriate exercises). I already on my second pair of custom-made orthotics which work well with closed/laced above the ankle shoes. But these shoes are much too warm to wear in the summer months outdoors and the old sandals that I have are too worn out to give me the support I need and the place that they came from is now closed and the brand doesn't exist any more. Therefore I decided to ask people here and am very appreciative of everyone's input. BTW, another side effect if I don't have the right foot/sole support is that it makes my arthritic knee/s worse as the alignment is off.
Wow, how foot issues can affect our knees! My daughter actually has a small extra bone in her foot - we call it her "monkey foot." Anyway, occasionally it makes her knee really hurt.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:37 AM

3,189 posts, read 1,280,483 times
Quote:
It's not your right to assume that your individual health issue and subsequent success with a particular treatment means that that treatment is a fit for everyone else and anyone who doesn't believe that is ignorant.
There is medical evidence that it works.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:06 AM

18,937 posts, read 12,528,466 times
Quote:
Just wanted to point out that Born shoes DO come in Euro sizing. All mine are Euro sizes in fact though I know you can buy them in American sizing, especially online. But even in the stores around here, Borns are sized in Euro sizing.
Good to know. I bought the one pair I've owned from Zappos. I bought a size 11 and added arch support. Wore those things to death, but could never find another pair that fit. Weird!

I've tried them on at Dillard's several times. No go.

We with temperamental feet have to find what brands work best for us. For me it is a constant search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty