Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Bass Pro/Cabela's, REI, and other outdoor/camping/sporting goods outfitters carry Keens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 11:15 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Dillards and Nordstrom don't exist in my area. Any other suggestions?
Most stores have an online presence so you can see what they carry by looking online. Other than that you need to call.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Can any of these be purchased from an actual store where one can try them on first?
https://www.keenfootwear.com/stores/

Try here for Keens. This brand is sold widely at retailers.

If you are interested in a brand of any sort, you can almost always find a website for the brand, and it will almost always have a store locator link.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
This thread and the OP's original post put a bee in my bonnet. I decided I wanted a pair of comfy summer sandals. Today I went to my local "comfort" shoe store and after trying on maybe 10 or so pairs of shoes, I walked out with these:

Lori Adjustable Quarter Strap - Stone, Womens Comfort Shoe - Aetrex Worldwide Orthotic Comfort Shoes

This shoe has the right amount of width in the forefoot and fits the rest of my foot which is narrower than normal. And--it has a good supportive sole.

This brand is new to me, but I will be checking it out from now on.

I tried on several really nice pairs of sandals. I think there is probably a good pair for nearly anyone. Most of them do not have enough width in the forefoot for me. In a larger size, the shoe is too big. With a regular shoe, padding can be added, but as the OP has pointed out, it is pretty hard to pad out most sandals.

Hope this helps.

And thanks to everyone who has posted info. As I said, all the posts put a bee in my bonnet about wanting a comfy pair of sandals to walk around in.

Confession: I don't really love these shoes. But they fit and have the contoured foot bed which includes arch support, so I am wearing them happily!

Old 06-01-2017, 05:24 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Yes, they are holistic, which is why sports teams send million dollar athletes, which are essential assets, to get PRP which is a form of prolotherapy, but leave the peons like us to get joint replacements because that's what most doctors know.

One helps your body to use its own processes to permanently heal itself and the other one replaces your limb. Which one sounds "alternative" to you?

I understand that there are often multiple issues at play, which is exactly why a combination of prolotherapy and perineural injection therapy is so effective. It addresses those "specific" areas.

Home | Dr. Reeves Prolotherapy | Specializing in prolotherapy, perineural injections and topical application, chronic pain relief, severe arthritis, severe fibromyalgia, rehabilitation therapy, regenerative injection therapy, treatment studies.
I have had prolo & PRP many times, over years, for multiple issues & while I believe it to be beneficial & while I do know that many pro athletes do get these treatments, I am not "cured" of anything! Prolo & PRP, for me, have simply provided longer term relief than other things, but I still struggle every single day with several debilitating issues, including PF.

It is not the end all, be all, panacea, it is simply a tool. Works for some, doesn't work for others. It's also not permanent, so many that it does work for, still need repeat injections on a regular basis, including my own prolo dr. Further, it is painful & quite expensive (esp PRP) & is rarely covered by insurance.

So, while it can be a useful tool, it is not for everyone & rarely results in permanent "cures".

On the PF, most of my friends wear Vionic, but I find them to be rather hard & too dressy. I'm reading this thread with interest, as my days are spent running errands & so I need really casual support shoes that still look ok & also some type of slipper for home. I'm wearing Crocs now & I know they aren't good for me :-(.

I did try a brand called OOFOS, a casual brand & they were the most comfy shoes I ever wore, but they are meant to stimulate circulation & just didn't have enough support for me, but might work for someone else here.

ETA: Prolo & PRP are also NOT for joints, only for ligaments & tendons.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Dillards carries Keen.
Quote:
Dillards also carries Vionic.

Chava, it depends on the size of your city, but I live in a small city with only 500K & we have 3 or 4 specialty shoe shops that specialize in comfort/support shoes. Around here, they advertise a lot in those coupon mailer magazines you get. Obviously YMMV, but I know when I lived in a bigger city we had plenty of these.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
I have had prolo & PRP many times, over years, for multiple issues & while I believe it to be beneficial & while I do know that many pro athletes do get these treatments, I am not "cured" of anything! Prolo & PRP, for me, have simply provided longer term relief than other things, but I still struggle every single day with several debilitating issues, including PF.

It is not the end all, be all, panacea, it is simply a tool. Works for some, doesn't work for others. It's also not permanent, so many that it does work for, still need repeat injections on a regular basis, including my own prolo dr. Further, it is painful & quite expensive (esp PRP) & is rarely covered by insurance.

So, while it can be a useful tool, it is not for everyone & rarely results in permanent "cures".

On the PF, most of my friends wear Vionic, but I find them to be rather hard & too dressy. I'm reading this thread with interest, as my days are spent running errands & so I need really casual support shoes that still look ok & also some type of slipper for home. I'm wearing Crocs now & I know they aren't good for me :-(.

I did try a brand called OOFOS, a casual brand & they were the most comfy shoes I ever wore, but they are meant to stimulate circulation & just didn't have enough support for me, but might work for someone else here.

ETA: Prolo & PRP are also NOT for joints, only for ligaments & tendons.

Acorn spa slippers have a heel cup and work for me... but boy, are they ugly as sin. They are also washable, but they take about 3 hours to dry in the dryer, so wash them in the first load and by the time the last load is done so are your slippers. If I don't wear socks they also feel damp.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
LOL well clearly I don't live in your area, so errr, no. But I bet you could find out from the Keens website.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Acorn spa slippers have a heel cup and work for me... but boy, are they ugly as sin. They are also washable, but they take about 3 hours to dry in the dryer, so wash them in the first load and by the time the last load is done so are your slippers. If I don't wear socks they also feel damp.
Thanks, I'll check them out. I don't mind ugly as sin, so much in the house. But for errands, I want them to be reasonably attractive, not "old lady shoes". I always wear little anklets, so that wouldn't be a problem for me. Are they roomy in the toebox? I usually wear a wide width :-(

Old 06-01-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
Thanks, I'll check them out. I don't mind ugly as sin, so much in the house. But for errands, I want them to be reasonably attractive, not "old lady shoes". I always wear little anklets, so that wouldn't be a problem for me. Are they roomy in the toebox? I usually wear a wide width :-(
The spa slippers come in widths...so yes roomy. But they look not unlike costume big bird feet, so I wouldn't wear them for errands out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty